Old 18-01-2006   #1
CD Freaks Senior Member

How To Transfer Very Large Files

How Can I Transfer Very Large Size Files Through Email Or Just Store Them Online So I Can Access Them From Another Computer Over The Internet?
Thanks.
newtoburners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006   #2
CD Freaks Member

Re: How To Transfer Very Large Files

Storing large amounts of data on the internet costs money a lot of times. If you manage to store your files somewhere, you'll probably have transfer maximums and all that jazz. I think it's cheaper to buy yet another hard disk, even more cheaper to burn DVDs. Definitely in the long run.
Sulacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006   #3
CDFreaks Resident

Depends how large you are talking. You Send It allow files of upto 1Gig for free. It's what my family members abroad use to send me family event avis for me to convert to DVDs for other family members here in the UK.
JayC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006   #4
CDFreaks Resident

If you're just trying to get a file to yourself once, yeah YouSendIt is a pretty decent service.
Gurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2006   #5
Retired Moderator

Have you thought of carrying the files with you on a USB key drive?

These come in sizes of 128 MB to 4 GB and plug into any modern pc (and probably macs too).
Old 19-01-2006   #6
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrageMester
USB key drive?
Those things are only useful if you have lots of money to spare. I'd rather spend a buck on a DVD±R and store the same amount or more. Okay, no rewriting there, but it's a lot cheaper to buy 50 DVDs than to purchase one decent capacity USP pen
Old 19-01-2006   #7
CD Freaks Member

I personally prefer the USB pen. I have found out from experience that no matter how carefully you handle a DVD, especially a recordable (versus a "matrix" - ROM), it will scratch, and even if it doesn't the data recorded may be not readable after six months or a year (for the better brands). I have a pen where some of the files have been resident and usable for more than that. Besides, you don't need special hardware or software to write to it, and it takes soooo much less space than 50 discs.
BTW, CD-R blanks turn out more durable than DVD-R, even though they can store less data.
Old 19-01-2006   #8
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikibug
and it takes soooo much less space than 50 discs.
Well obviously . DVDs from a quality manufacturer such as Verbatim are up for a good bit of wear and tear before they start to falter. The analogy was built around the fact that a USB pen with storage capacity in the GBs has to cost the equiv of at least 50 DVDs. I mean, check at the prices for those 4 GB USB 2.0 Data Sticks! Rather have one 4.7 (~4.38) GB DVD±R and rewrite it every half year if necessary.
Old 20-01-2006   #9
MyCE Resident

YouSendIt is definitely a good choice if you want to send the file to yourself to another location or to a few friends. If your file is less than 500mb, try FileFactory, it has a lot of pop ups, but other than that it's a good hosting serivce.
Old 20-01-2006   #10
CD Freaks Rookie

Megaupload and Rapidshare. Files are alive there for at least 30 days and unlimited downloads. Max size is 250MB but if file is larger than that, split it into 2 or 3 and so on

I prefer Megaupload
Demvang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006   #11
CD Freaks Senior Member

I hate Rapidshare with a passion. It would be nice, IF it didn't make you go through hoops to download from the free servers and didn't spam the pay service all the time.
Oh, and that 30 meg per hour limit is terribly annoying too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulacu
Those things are only useful if you have lots of money to spare. I'd rather spend a buck on a DVD±R and store the same amount or more. Okay, no rewriting there, but it's a lot cheaper to buy 50 DVDs than to purchase one decent capacity USP pen
On the other hand, you can get yo'self a surplus old laptop 2.5" hard drive, a USB-to-IDE cable, and tote around that. Presto, 10 gigs of space for the price of a 512mb pendrive.
Fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006   #12
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoburners
How Can I Transfer Very Large Size Files Through Email Or Just Store Them Online So I Can Access Them From Another Computer Over The Internet?
Thanks.
You could install a compression program such as WinRAR and make acceptable chunks of your files. Most mail clients can cope with 10MB files.
Old 20-01-2006   #13
CDFreaks Resident

I carry a 512mb flash in my pocket all the time that bought for about $40.00. There are memory cards up to 4gb less than $90.00 and have seen usb drives up to 4gb. Also there are internal HD mounts that fit in a 5 1/4 slot the ones burners use that allow HDs to be removed and installed from outside, you would need mounts in both computers. Also external HDs.

Mack
bigmacnc is offline   Reply With Quote