Old 29-07-2012   #1
MyCE Resident

How to stop the "This program blocked by group policy" pop-up notification?

I have disallowed a program to run that pings out fairly often and while it does not get out, every time it try I get a "This program is blocked by group policy" pop-up on the screen.

Is there a way to stop the pop-up notifier from showing? I still want program blocked, just not to be notified when it happens.

If you can help I would thank you.
SubZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012   #2
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZero View Post
I have disallowed a program to run that pings out fairly often and while it does not get out, every time it try I get a "This program is blocked by group policy" pop-up on the screen.

Is there a way to stop the pop-up notifier from showing? I still want program blocked, just not to be notified when it happens.

If you can help I would thank you.
When you say "disallowed" are you referring to within 'Administrative Tools/Services' so the components of the problematic program does not start at boot-up ?

Also is the pop-up being generated by 'Windows Defender' ? if so have you tried changing the setting for the program within 'Windows Defender' ?

I personally don't have group policy active so don't know that much on how it works.
StormJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012   #3
MyCE Resident

Thank you for reply

Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Software Restriction Policies > Additional Rules > New Path Rule

Select EXE and disallow it to run.

Message seem to be pop up directly from Security Policy with no reference to Defender. It just pop up over whatever I am doing, very difficult to avoid problems as resulting of the timing of that showing up.

I simply wish to find a way to prevent Windows from notifying me every time execution is denied by system based on policy. I can find no checkbox or obvious setting to say "do not notify when policy applied" for example.
Old 29-07-2012   #4
Retired Moderator

You can make changes in 'Administrative Tools/Local Security Policy/Local Policy/Security Options' to prevent the pop-up warnings which I have done but it's not really recommended to make such changes.

But to stop the program itself that is being blocked stop it in services, switch the startup to manual rather then Automatic.

SJ
Old 29-07-2012   #5
MyCE Resident

Thank you for reply again

Do you know which setting under Security Options would disable pop up notify?

For second part, is Path Rule not the right option to use? Is that what you mean? Not right place to disallow execution of program?

Thank you
Old 29-07-2012   #6
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZero View Post
Thank you for reply again

Do you know which setting under Security Options would disable pop up notify?

For second part, is Path Rule not the right option to use? Is that what you mean? Not right place to disallow execution of program?

Thank you
In ‘Administrative Tools’ open ‘Services” once in ‘services’ locate the program you wish to stop…example…ASODiskOptimizer double click on it to open its properties there you can select the start-up type (Automatic, Automatic Delayed start, Manual or Disable) , Manual or Disable will prevent the components of the program from starting at boot-up.

After making the change a reboot is required.

As for the top not in bold I will only help with that in a PM, but try the above suggestion first.

SJ
Old 30-07-2012   #7
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJumper View Post
In ‘Administrative Tools’ open ‘Services” once in ‘services’ locate the program you wish to stop…example…ASODiskOptimizer double click on it to open its properties there you can select the start-up type (Automatic, Automatic Delayed start, Manual or Disable) , Manual or Disable will prevent the components of the program from starting at boot-up.

After making the change a reboot is required.

As for the top not in bold I will only help with that in a PM, but try the above suggestion first.

SJ
Thank you again

The item is not in services it seem. It look to be a separate program is tied to a video editing program that streams updates for deals and suggested product enhancement.

But I receive PM suggesting if I cannot get with Policy to not pop up I could use a software firewall to prevent program from being able to contact out to the internet for that data. The program will still run but not "function" sensing no internet connection so not interrupt when running / rendering in background.

I may try that option.

It is frustrating because if I could find simple toggle to say "just do not notify me when you prevent execution via policy" it would be solved.

If you find way to disable notify pop-up, please follow up reply.

Thank you again
Old 30-07-2012   #8
CE Freak

Once again, an innocent-appearing thread (ie, "not interesting TO ME") ends up being on my Must-Read list simply because the problem and its possible solutions ripple across so many moments in my Computer Rantings.

I sometimes remember SERVICES to change Auto to Manual, but not always. ("That's why I married you!" I insist to hubby... to love, honor and tell me Win Secrets...)

But like Sub ends with, I always wish they'd include a checkbox "Do you want us to continue to annoy you?" or even better "Do you want us to screw up your computer further?"
ChristineBCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012   #9
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineBCW View Post
Once again, an innocent-appearing thread (ie, "not interesting TO ME") ends up being on my Must-Read list simply because the problem and its possible solutions ripple across so many moments in my Computer Rantings.

I sometimes remember SERVICES to change Auto to Manual, but not always. ("That's why I married you!" I insist to hubby... to love, honor and tell me Win Secrets...)

But like Sub ends with, I always wish they'd include a checkbox "Do you want us to continue to annoy you?" or even better "Do you want us to screw up your computer further?"
Is what I have done on a few problematic programs, which was suggested in post #6
Old 31-07-2012   #10
MyCE Resident

I have now found after testing that Comodo Firewall (v5.10.228257.2253) with General Settings set to CUSTOM POLICY and the Alert Settings set to LOW or VERY LOW allows me to block many annoying things including popups that appear.

It stops streaming advertisements for me in Corel programs help screens, PowerDirector suggested product purchases and sales bargains in the render interface and even pop-up registration screens when I'm in the middle of doing something else like playing a game or writing a letter or surfing the internet.

I was on banking site filling out online forms and it used to pop up something like a java update or flash update right in the middle of hitting enter key or typing text and mess up the data entry and sometimes cause things to happen that I did not want to happen, like approving an "Update done do you want to reboot now" dialog pop up.

Now I can just turn a lot of those off because if they do not find an internet connection active (blocked by firewall) they don't prompt you actively.

It also seem easier to do than setting system policy in general. It does not work with some, the firewall, so I can still use policy for some, but I still can get System Policy alert, only much less because I only do policy for very few program now.

Thank you for helping. It has been an odd lesson to learn and a long way to get around one small limitation in Windows, but I do like to learn new things to share with others.
Old 31-07-2012   #11
Retired Moderator

Thats great SubZero

Glad to hear you can now stop those unwanted pop-up notifications.