Old 31-10-2002   #1
CD Freaks Member

How often do you guys format your HDD?

I'm just wondering how often you PC lovers out there format (completely wipe) your C:\ drive and do a fresh install of your OS... Not to mention installing all of the programs, games, settings, passwords etc. again!

I like a fresh (sounds silly LOL!) install of everything usually every 2-3 months. I made a brief comment about this in another thread and thought that it might be more appropriate to put it here.

Please share your experiences!
Old 31-10-2002   #2
Retired Moderator

I have images of my partitions in a pristine fresh-install state. So I can just restore an image instead of formatting, takes about 10 min. Barring that, I would do a fresh install yearly, you would be amazed what a difference it can make in performance.
rdgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2002   #3
CDFreaks Resident

back when i used my old p1 laptop with windows 95, it would need formatted 95 times a year. lol

Actually now, with my decent system, i only use formatting as a last result. Defragging and such are my solutions. I recently did have to format though and lost my dual boot linux mandrake andwin me system. Now im on windows xp and hate it.

My drives:
Benq 1640 BSLB
Benq 1625 BBHA (Rebadge HP 640c)(Lightscribe)
LG GSA-4163B A104
NEC ND-3520A 1.04
NEC ND-3500AG LD 2.FD
Liteon SOHW-812s@832s VS0E
Liteon SOHW-1633S BS41
Liteon SOHC 5232K NK0H
Yamaha CRW-F1 1.0g

And yes these are all in one PC. Hehe.
kwkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002   #4
CDFreaks Resident

My brother when he still had a VIA chipset: 3-5 times a year.
Me, without VIA chipset: about once a year
How a troll wants to force users of Linux to buy Windows just to make use of Plextor DVD writer unique functions
------------------------------------------------
PxScan/PxView (compatible to Premium, PX-712, PX-714, PX-716), now with built-in picture file output
Bitsetting via Autostart
My Blog about DADVSI (new french copyright)
alexnoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002   #5
MyCE Resident

its probably best to keep your drive with everything you know will be constant from format to format stored as an image. that way, you can do just as rdgrimes does . this also saves you trouble in case of a virus or something, the only problem then is recovering the other lost data. i believe i read an article in MaximumPC about this a few months ago, in case you wanted a follow up

last 5 cd's
Avril Lavigne - Whatever the new one is called
Lucky Boys Confusion - Throwing the Game
lostprophets - Start Something
Story of the Year - Page Avenue
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Don't let schooling interfere with your education.
-Mark Twain
ckin2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002   #6
MyCE Resident

last actual format i did on my disks in my primary system was about 2 years ago. i have cloned images of the os configurations of the other pc's.
Old 01-11-2002   #7
Retired Administrator

I don't format on a regular base.. just when I feel like formatting or my system is getting too slow (too much crap on it). Since last summer I formatted three times (1st because I wanted to switch to Win2k, second because I started to hate the Dutch 2k and wanted to switch to English, third because I bought a new harddrive as I sold mine).

If I had the time, I'd format my system once every month...

Some ppl may ask why? Speed baby... a fresh install is always faster... especially when you install loads of software slowing your system down (development kits as the Borland series -Delphi, C++ builder, J Builder- and MS crap -Visual Studio 6, VS .NET-) formatting every now and then is really nice. It also gives me more HD space... I have the habit to stack up all kinds of junk I'll never use again.

Images? Did that once, but that was a long time ago. Since I like to have new drivers and software revisions in order to keep my system up to date, I figured that images aren't the fastest way to do so....

The only computer I hardly ever format are the ones running on Linux, as they run really really fine and stable and configuring them may take ages...
Dee-ehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002   #8
CD Freaks Member

I format my first partition with windows about every 2-3 months, or faster if i change configuration. I have all the games and apps that dont need registry entries in the second partition. I also use the office xp settings backup app (very useful).

Mobo: ASUS P4T533-C
CPU: P4 2.4B 533 FSB
RAM: 256MB RDRAM PC800 Kingston
VGA: nVidia geforce 4 mx 440

Pri Master: Western Digital WD400JB
Pri Slave: Iomega Zip100 Atapi
Sec Master: ASUS DVD-ROM E616
Sec Slave: YAMAHA CRW3200E

PC Case:
Cheiftec DX-01WD Black

panos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002   #9
MyCE Member

hmmm lets say aprox one and a half years.

Not very interested in speed, just to clean up left over files.
Defrag my hard drive quite often enough to keep it going.

Visit league.ogn.com.au for all your gaming needs
-=]\[Y]{=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002   #10
CD Freaks Senior Member

Last format was 6 months ago when I installed my new HD. I didn't really need to. Previous one was from a few years back.

Usually with good utilities you can keep the house tidy for a long time. In any case like Mr. Belvedere, I have a couple of images of the computer in different stages of a fresh install on another partition as well as on CD just in case. I can simply reload the image, ad the few proggies I've added since and of course, my data and settings from my backups. Saves a lot of grief if you're doing a lot of experimentation.
83bj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002   #11
CJS
CD Freaks Member

I do the same as panos. C:\ always gets formatted, and D:\ holds all my programs, drivers, updates, configs etc.
I have never made or used an image of my HDD. What program do you guys use to make the images and to restore from created ones? It sounds a lot easier.
Old 01-11-2002   #12
MyCE Resident

Symantec Ghost and Drive Image Pro
Old 01-11-2002   #13
CJS
CD Freaks Member

WOW !! LOL!! That would have to be the fastest reply in the world in any forum!!

Thanks Mr. Belvedere !! I will check those proggies out.
Old 01-11-2002   #14
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Drive Image Pro
Is that what they're now calling "Deploy Center"? Or is it something different?
rdgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002   #15
CD Freaks Senior Member

Symantec Ghost gets my vote. Been using it for years, (part of them as its CD-ResQ incarnation), a great program.

As for Mr. belevdere's response time, WOW! You got to be on broadband, aren't you? I'm jealous (can't have it where I am, it was hard enough to get a private phone line instead of a party line!!!)
Old 01-11-2002   #16
CD Freaks Member

I do a wipe, format, and reinstall every 2-4 months.

I can't be bothered defragging, registry cleaning, deleting old outdated files in crazy directories, etc. Takes less time to dump my essentials onto my other comp over the LAN, wipe, reinstall, and then re-download all the latest updates and such.

I should ghost, but I don't, cuz im lazy.

Overall I tend to think my method is quicker (and less frustrating) than the registry cleaning, defragging, etc. It also seems to result in a cleaner, faster, system... who knows, maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me
baracus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002   #17
Dedicated DoMi groupie

I last formatted June 16, 2001. I meticulously keep non-necessary programs off my computer to keep up performance. Works well for me. If I had a bad install I would have nothing but problems. I don't have time for that, so I keep my current, working copy. I seldom defrag or scandisc, and seldom (almost never) see any crashes. Most people think my computer is faster then theirs even when they have a 1.4GHZ, (I only have a 400MHz Celeron). Ad-Aware helps, and I only have 6 icons in the running tray. (which is the lowest number practical for me, I have the volume, display settings, virus scanner, firewall, clone cd, and messenger.) I could cut out clone cd and messenger but they do come in handy once in a while.
iamrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002   #18
CD Freaks Senior Member

Well I just reloaded my system from my Ghost basic file and reloaded my latest backup after having suffered major bugs after a damn IE6 update which took control of my computer and was causing all kinds of crashes.

The backup using Veritas backup Exec took about 1 hour including verification (full backup of my documents and my settings) and reloading using an image file from last summer, 30 minutes.

A “waste” of time of an afternoon.

Moral of the story: Stay away from Internet Explorer like the plague is you like to keep control of your custom setup, and do make a good image of your system when it operates well for reinstallation, and of course, make backups of your docuyments and settings!!!
Old 02-11-2002   #19
CDFreaks Resident

i have a partition just for backup stuff. Saved my data on several occasion, it contains any program ive downloaded and any other valuable data. Very handy

My drives:
Benq 1640 BSLB
LG GSA-4163B A104
NEC ND-3520A 1.04
NEC ND-3500AG LD 2.FD
Liteon SOHW-1633S BS41
Liteon SOHC 5232K NK0H
Yamaha CRW-F1 1.0g

Old 02-11-2002   #20
CJS
CD Freaks Member

That sounds like good advice 83bj60. However, I'm running WinXP Pro without SP1, (dial-up + 135Mb file to download = Headache) and I never use LiveUpdate. Internet Explorer seems to work fine, just like every other part of my system. Maybe I'm lucky that WinXP likes my system the way it is!
Old 02-11-2002   #21
CDFreaks Resident

xp hates my computer. Bill Gates made it just so it wouldn't work on my computer specifically. Backups = good. Bill Gates = bad.

My drives:
Benq 1640 BSLB
LG GSA-4163B A104
NEC ND-3520A 1.04
NEC ND-3500AG LD 2.FD
Liteon SOHW-1633S BS41
Liteon SOHC 5232K NK0H
Yamaha CRW-F1 1.0g

Old 04-11-2002   #22
MyCE Resident

All info about Ghost and indeed PowerQuest's Drive Image Pro has been discontinued and is now in the Power Deploy suite.

There are also some Freeware or shareware alternatives.