Old 23-01-2010   #1
Senior Moderator

How to get totally rid of iTunes?

Hi,

a friend of mine has some issues with his computer that seem to be related with iTunes. (The description I was given wasn't really precise ).

To rule that out, I need to know how to get rid of iTunes and all that stuff it installs without any leftovers. Fortunately, there is no need to deal with DRM-infected media files

Is it enough to just klick <uninstall> in "Add/Remove Programs"?
Any hints?

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010   #2
RCM
MyCE Resident

Re: How to get totally rid of iTunes?

iTunes sometimes still leaves stuff in the autoplay box, i would recommend using revo uninstaller, or a similar one to get rid of it.

Or use my way

Format C:\
Old 24-01-2010   #3
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM View Post
iTunes sometimes still leaves stuff in the autoplay box, i would recommend using revo uninstaller, or a similar one to get rid of it.

Or use my way

I would choose the later as this will surely guarantee there be no trace of the DRM tracks on ones computer. Or do the recovery cd path if the computer is factory built thus wiping cleaning unwanted programs to start fresh again.
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010   #4
MyCE Member

Formart C:/Restore to factory state is/are the most effective but at the same time the most painful method(s) as lot of useful data can be lost.

Taking into account the above mentined, I would:

1. Use Windows uninstaller.
2. Use Total Commander (or similar software) and manually clean the whole PC of iTunes leftovers.
3. Use Regedit and manually clean the Registry.
4. Reboot.
5. Run a Registry Cleaner for final check.

"The ancient war between science and religion is over."

 MacBook Air
Illuminatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010   #5
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM View Post
(...)
Or use my way

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcolors View Post
I would choose the later as this will surely guarantee there be no trace of the DRM tracks on ones computer. Or do the recovery cd path if the computer is factory built thus wiping cleaning unwanted programs to start fresh again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminatus View Post
Formart C:/Restore to factory state is/are the most effective (...)
How much do they pay to Symantec, McAffee etc to have this <censored> not in their Virus database?

Okay, thanks guys.

At the moment I only used "add/remove programs" in order to get rid of the most stuff (Mobile Device Support, Bonjour, iTunes, Apple Updater, Quicktime).
Seems I'd have to check manually if there is additional trash left.

Michael
Old 25-01-2010   #6
Senior Moderator

The only way to avoid problems removing any of that 'i' crap is to not install it in the first place.

It's been at least 2 years, 5 months, 6 days, 11 hours, 52 minutes and 35 36 37 seconds since I had a sig...
(but who's counting?)
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010   #7
MyCE Resident

Quote:
a friend of mine has some issues with his computer that seem to be related with iTunes. (The description I was given wasn't really precise
Would've been nice to have known( precisely)..I'm no iTunes fanboy, but I do have it installed w/o issues(knock on wood)..

"I'm entitled to my opinion, and my opinion is that you're not allowed to have an opinion. - George Carlin
t0nee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010   #8
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0nee1 View Post
Would've been nice to have known( precisely)..I'm no iTunes fanboy, but I do have it installed w/o issues(knock on wood)..
Hehe, well, most of the issues I was asked to resolve, where in the PEBCAK category. Indeed not iTunes related.
Another issue (not discovered by her) is more severe, and I guess, this isn't iTunes related either: Windows thinks, all drivers (inlcluding Windows internal standard drivers) are unsigned
Had some similar issue on my 100% certified iTunes-free W2k-box.

I hope, I can fix this remote (using Teamviewer for such jobs).

Michael
Old 26-01-2010   #9
MyCE Senior Member

Uninstall with Add/Remove or third party tool, then do a system restore point to a date previuos to installing Itunes.
petremure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010   #10
MyCE Resident

Location: Between a rock and a ...bar (usually nearer the bar than the rock)

I thought I had gotten rid of all iTune stuff long ago...but recently noticed ITunes was trying to play all my music. This sort of thing could give Steve Jobs a bad name eh...so I ran PC Decrapifier, and then CCleaner.
Check this out...
Attached Images
To view attachments in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Lenovo T410 laptop with i5 & 8GB RAM for the road - a cool old workhorse and well worth the money second-hand with a warranty. Numerous external HDDs by Trekstor, Transcend, Toshiba & WD (total about 16TB). ...and a PC with i7-2600k, 16Gb RAM, Crucial M4 128GB SSD & 2 x 2TB HDDs, W10, and two Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors. Canon iP4600 & iX4000 printers, Canon 4200F scanner, Samsung Galaxy S6 (32GB) phone. GoPro Hero camera. Sony RX100 MkIII (ultimate compact camera!), and Canon 5D MkII camera (fav lens is the 17 - 40mm...don´t waste your money on the 16 - 35 which is as good but double the price), Samyang 14mm, Sigma 120 - 400. Assorted mountain and road racing bikes (one is as pink as this font!) , and a slightly scuffed, black, lowered BMW 316i coupé to impress chicks with... Oh, and bars, locks, electrified door handles, alarms, video surveillance...& sometimes a hungry dog hangs out there too. What else?: Feel free to join my fan club on Facebook as "Dean Nixon Photographer" and on Instagram as "instamann" (just add beer...!).Click here to get to Mordor! Get AnyDVD CloneDVD2 CloneCD here, and don´t forget to read The Rules.
deanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010   #11
MyCE Resident

http://rdsbc.blogspot.com/2009/06/ho...tunes-for.html
Old 27-01-2010   #12
Senior Moderator

Or you could try pipemanid's favorite tool...http://club.myce.com/f1/win-brand-ne...2/#post2474994

It's been at least 2 years, 5 months, 6 days, 11 hours, 52 minutes and 35 36 37 seconds since I had a sig...
(but who's counting?)
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010   #13
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
Or you could try pipemanid's favorite tool...http://club.myce.com/f1/win-brand-ne...2/#post2474994
Erhm, this tool is intended to get rid of iHardware only ....
Old 27-01-2010   #14
MyCE Resident

Location: Between a rock and a ...bar (usually nearer the bar than the rock)

You could always just give in...let them take over, infiltrate everything, until you become one of "them"
...after that you will be happy...birds will sing, women will fall for you...you will become rich, goodlooking...live forever.

BLESSED ARE THEY WHO TAKE iTUNES INTO THEIR HEARTS AND REGISTRIES, FOR THEY WILL BE SYNCHED FOREVER iBible. Book of iPod, Chapter 1, verse 26
Attached Images
To view attachments in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Lenovo T410 laptop with i5 & 8GB RAM for the road - a cool old workhorse and well worth the money second-hand with a warranty. Numerous external HDDs by Trekstor, Transcend, Toshiba & WD (total about 16TB). ...and a PC with i7-2600k, 16Gb RAM, Crucial M4 128GB SSD & 2 x 2TB HDDs, W10, and two Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors. Canon iP4600 & iX4000 printers, Canon 4200F scanner, Samsung Galaxy S6 (32GB) phone. GoPro Hero camera. Sony RX100 MkIII (ultimate compact camera!), and Canon 5D MkII camera (fav lens is the 17 - 40mm...don´t waste your money on the 16 - 35 which is as good but double the price), Samyang 14mm, Sigma 120 - 400. Assorted mountain and road racing bikes (one is as pink as this font!) , and a slightly scuffed, black, lowered BMW 316i coupé to impress chicks with... Oh, and bars, locks, electrified door handles, alarms, video surveillance...& sometimes a hungry dog hangs out there too. What else?: Feel free to join my fan club on Facebook as "Dean Nixon Photographer" and on Instagram as "instamann" (just add beer...!).Click here to get to Mordor! Get AnyDVD CloneDVD2 CloneCD here, and don´t forget to read The Rules.
deanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010   #15
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanimator View Post
BLESSED ARE THEY WHO TAKE iTUNES INTO THEIR HEARTS AND REGISTRIES, FOR THEY WILL BE SYNCHED FOREVER iBible. Book of iPod, Chapter 1, verse 26
Who wouldn't want to be one of these archetypes?

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.