Old 15-10-2006   #1
MyCE Member

how do i turn off norton subscription?

i have norton antivirus firewall 2005 and it's going to expire tomorrow, norton has been giving me alot of those subscription warnings begging me to renew it, i can't stand it, i want norton to stop doing it, i burn alot of cds so i don't want those alert popping up and freezing everything up while i'm burning critial data on my cd. i want those subscription alerts to stop popping up.

i remember selecting the option of "remind me in 14 days", and even the "don't remind me again" option, but it keeps popping up, i will not be uninstalling norton however, as my pc runs 24/7 and i'm not restarting for even once, so would anyone please be so kind as to tell me if there's a way to remove those subscription alerts? thanks alot
coolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: how do i turn off norton subscription?

Get another AV program. Microsoft offers a 1 year free subscription to CA's EZTrust AV off their site. All you need is an e-mail address. Here's the link. You will have to restart once after removing Norton and once after installing EZ Trust AV but at least you should have peace of mind.
I love life...Yeah, I'm sad, but at the same time, I'm really happy that something could make me feel that sad. It's like...It makes me feel alive, you know. It makes me feel human. The only way I could feel this sad now is if I felt something really good before. So I have to take the bad with the good. So I guess what I'm feeling is like a beautiful sadness.

Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.

The most important things are the hardest to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them-words shrink things that seemed limitless when in your head to no more than living size when they're brought out. But it's more than that, isn't it? The most important things lie close to wherever your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you've said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried while saying it. That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller but for the want of an understanding ear. - Stephen King, intro to "The Body."
jhtalisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006   #3
MyCE Resident

AOL/Kaspersky also has free AV for one year. DO NOT install the AOL toolbar after installing the AV.

Avoid NORTON/SYMANTEC like the plague. Avast Home is another FREE (also excellent AV).
furballi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006   #4
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

If you want to remove safely norton, I suggest to get the symantec removal tool. Doing a simple uninstallation will not remove completely it.
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006   #5
CDFreaks Resident

I dont think you can... i just had my norton expire... it still comes up every few days saying "the program has expired. Renew or we'll annoy you again"

Get a VPS with $10 free credit!

http://www.alanmonger.co.uk
haveacigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006   #6
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno888
If you want to remove safely norton, I suggest to get the symantec removal tool. Doing a simple uninstallation will not remove completely it.

Correct this is the only way to get rid of norton crap.

platinumsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006   #7
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumsword
Correct this is the only way to get rid of norton crap.

Actually there is also another method: cleaning the HDD with sandpaper
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006   #8
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Actually there is also another method: cleaning the HDD with sandpaper
Yep. That should do the trick

platinumsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2006   #9
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Yes. Also don't use a registry cleaner to remove those leftover entries. Well, unless you had plans to re-install Windows. It will remove a System32 file and, at least with the experience I have had with it, it is not repairable.
I love life...Yeah, I'm sad, but at the same time, I'm really happy that something could make me feel that sad. It's like...It makes me feel alive, you know. It makes me feel human. The only way I could feel this sad now is if I felt something really good before. So I have to take the bad with the good. So I guess what I'm feeling is like a beautiful sadness.

Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.

The most important things are the hardest to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them-words shrink things that seemed limitless when in your head to no more than living size when they're brought out. But it's more than that, isn't it? The most important things lie close to wherever your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you've said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried while saying it. That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller but for the want of an understanding ear. - Stephen King, intro to "The Body."
jhtalisman is offline   Reply With Quote