Old 22-08-2004   #1
New on Forum

How to change PIO to DMA in XP

Novice tech person running XP and can't figure out how to do this. Getting jittery video and audio. Primary IDE Channel says:
Device 0
transfer mode is set at DMA if available
Device 1
Device Type-auto detect
Transfer Mode-DMA if Available
Current Transfer Mode-not available

Secondary IDE Channel says the same thing except for Device 0&1 it says PIO for Current Tranfer Mode.

I tried uninstalling the secondary IDE and rebooted but it auto reinstalled in PIO instead of DMA. Apparently its the default setting. There is no down arrow for a drop down menu. If I left click it nothing happens and right clicking it only says "what is this" Driving me crazy.
Please help! TIA

Dave
dtom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2004   #2
MyCE Senior Member

Re: How to change PIO to DMA in XP

Nec 3450A
HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B

k9cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2004   #3
CD Freaks Junior Member

Hi Dtom4 what are your system specs?
sgtshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2004   #4
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtshaft
Hi Dtom4 what are your system specs?
Sorry-that would be helpful wouldn't it

Dell P4 2.4G
40G HD, only about 6G left
768 RAM
WIN XP
I/O magic 8X dvd burner

Just bought ADS Tech DVD Express and trying to convert Analog VHS tapes to DVD. Been backing up dvd's with DVD shrink and DVDX gold with no problems but ADS freezes and is jittery. Thanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
dtom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004   #5
CD Freaks Junior Member

Do you have all the latest update for your chipset/IDE drivers? if not try switching your drive to a different IDE cable connection.
Have a look at this link http://sniptools.com/vault/getting-b...windows-xp.htm to make winxp to redetect the dma capabilities of your drive.
For repeated DMA errors. Windows XP will turn off DMA mode for a device after encountering certain errors during data transfer operations. If more than six DMA transfer timeouts occur, Windows will turn off DMA and use only PIO mode on that device.
sgtshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009   #6
New on Forum

hey mate
this is my first post here and i just decided to post since i saw that you've not received your solution yet. i figured an easy way to change from pio to dma, and i know pio can be extremely frustrating. i had to format each time this happened before i saw the simplistic trick to revert it back.
now, let's get to the point. to revert from dma to pio, all you need to do is uninstall both the primary and the secondary IDE channels. i assume you know how to do that, but here's the how-to anyway.

1) Right click on My Computer
2) Click on Device Manager.
3) Expand the IDE controllers and right-click on the secondary IDE channel.
4) Click on uninstall.
5) Do the same for the primary IDE channel.
6) Now restart your computer.

after you restart, your drivers should automatically reinstall, and the transfer mode should have reverted to Ultra DMA Mode.

hope i helped,
dhruv.

edit: i'm not sure if the rules here permit bumping such an old topic. if they don't, i apologize.
breakfree89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009   #7
Wii Freak

uninstalling the controller is more effective.

welcome to cdfreaks.

bumping an old thread is not against the rules but some members may make smart ass comments just for fun.
troy512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfree89 View Post
hey mate
this is my first post here and i just decided to post since i saw that you've not received your solution yet. i figured an easy way to change from pio to dma, and i know pio can be extremely frustrating. i had to format each time this happened before i saw the simplistic trick to revert it back.
now, let's get to the point. to revert from dma to pio, all you need to do is uninstall both the primary and the secondary IDE channels. i assume you know how to do that, but here's the how-to anyway.

4) Click on uninstall.

after you restart, your drivers should automatically reinstall, and the transfer mode should have reverted to Ultra DMA Mode.

hope i helped,
dhruv.

edit: i'm not sure if the rules here permit bumping such an old topic. if they don't, i apologize.
Thanks so much for posting this method. It worked like a charm.
Abeeku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010   #9

The easiest way is to download software "copy to DVD" (a trial version is available) after installing software insert a dvd to copy and the software senses that windows is set to PIO it will then ask you if you want it re-set to Ultra DMA say yes and hey presto it is changed back, no uninstalling or changing settings. The reason it re-sets to PIO in the first place is usually caused by a faulty or cracked dvd. This software "copy to DVD" is excellent and you get to try it for free. Best of luck. The Captain
captainsparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfree89 View Post
hey mate

4) Click on uninstall.

after you restart, your drivers should automatically reinstall, and the transfer mode should have reverted

hope i helped,
dhruv.

Oh my Gosh thank you. Audio glitches are gone, this buys us time until replacing the drive!
Happy holidays
adrienne222 is offline   Reply With Quote