Old 13-06-2005   #1
New on Forum

FLAC to MP3 Batch Conversion - Best quality ???

I need to convert a huge colllection of FLAC files to MP3 and would like to do the best quality Batch Conversion possible with as few headaches as possible.

So far I am looking at Foobar, dbpoweramp and VUPlayer

Last edited by duplo; 13-06-2005 at 18:20.
duplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005   #2
New on Forum

Re: FLAC to MP3 Batch Conversion - Best quality ???

I've started testing dbpoweramp but it seems that I have to go into each folder and select the files.

Is there a way that I can just point a program to the master folder and have it convert all of the files in all of the subfolders?
Old 19-06-2005   #3
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duplo
I've started testing dbpoweramp but it seems that I have to go into each folder and select the files.

Is there a way that I can just point a program to the master folder and have it convert all of the files in all of the subfolders?
Yes there is. Foobar2000 at http://www.foobar2000.org
I downloaded the "Special" installer, as opposed to the Normal and Lite installers. It has the most stuff bundled.

Now load up foobar & go:
Playlist > Add directory.

This will add all your songs, despite any being in subdirectories of that folder.
Press Ctrl+A to select them all.

Now, right-click and go:
Convert > Settings (to configure your encoder settings for the first time)
Under "Output file name formatting" I have changed to the following (but your tastes/ preferences might be different). This is just my preferred directory structure:
Code:
%artist% - %album%\%_filename%
It will output nice & neatly that way based on your already-tagged FLACs.

Under:
"Output Presets"
you would choose:
Commandline Encoder: LAME --alt -preset standard
(or whatever your encoding preference is here)

You have to make sure your LAME.exe (or whatever mp3 encoder you choose) is in foobar's program directory, or tell it where it is with the EDIT button there.
Don't have LAME? Get LAME 3.96.1 here:
http://www.rarewares.org/mp3.html
...then extract it to C:\Program Files\foobar2000 (or wherever you have foobar installed).

Another useful thing to change - while ur there in Preferences in foobar - is to go to the left hand side window and click on "standard inputs" and under "mp3 tag writing" choose ID3v2, because it's not selected by default.

Now press Save All. Close.
You have configured your mp3 encoder and you'll never have to worry about it again. Now just:

*Ctrl+A to select all files again. This time just go:
*Right-click
*Convert > Run Conversion
*Your encoder settings can be changed there if you like. Otherwise, press OK.
*Now select your output directory and bob's your uncle.

Mass conversion of FLAC to mp3 (!), without having to manually go into each directory (& all outputted neatly in the directory structure you choose).

Have fun.
cynicalbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2005   #4
New on Forum

Thanks so much CB!
Old 05-07-2005   #5
New on Forum

What if it doesn't give you the option to edit when choosing your decoder?
Gnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalbastard View Post
Yes there is. Foobar2000 at http://www.foobar2000.org
I downloaded the "Special" installer, as opposed to the Normal and Lite installers. It has the most stuff bundled.

Now load up foobar & go:
Playlist > Add directory.

This will add all your songs, despite any being in subdirectories of that folder.
Press Ctrl+A to select them all.

Now, right-click and go:
Convert > Settings (to configure your encoder settings for the first time)
Under "Output file name formatting" I have changed to the following (but your tastes/ preferences might be different). This is just my preferred directory structure:
Code:
%artist% - %album%\%_filename%
It will output nice & neatly that way based on your already-tagged FLACs.

Under:
"Output Presets"
you would choose:
Commandline Encoder: LAME --alt -preset standard
(or whatever your encoding preference is here)

You have to make sure your LAME.exe (or whatever mp3 encoder you choose) is in foobar's program directory, or tell it where it is with the EDIT button there.
Don't have LAME? Get LAME 3.96.1 here:
http://www.rarewares.org/mp3.html
...then extract it to C:\Program Files\foobar2000 (or wherever you have foobar installed).

Another useful thing to change - while ur there in Preferences in foobar - is to go to the left hand side window and click on "standard inputs" and under "mp3 tag writing" choose ID3v2, because it's not selected by default.

Now press Save All. Close.
You have configured your mp3 encoder and you'll never have to worry about it again. Now just:

*Ctrl+A to select all files again. This time just go:
*Right-click
*Convert > Run Conversion
*Your encoder settings can be changed there if you like. Otherwise, press OK.
*Now select your output directory and bob's your uncle.

Mass conversion of FLAC to mp3 (!), without having to manually go into each directory (& all outputted neatly in the directory structure you choose).

Have fun.
I have created an account, specifically to say thank you. I have been having a problem all night and it has driven me to the edges of sanity. Although the posts are over 6 years old, they are still relevant, the advice is just as helpful, and im still mentally stable. Thank you so much cynicalbastard for your reply, and duplo for the question!!!!
yomuminatank93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011   #7
MyCE Resident

NCH Switch Sound File Converter Plus will do it folder by folder
(including files in subfolders)

Best part is it is downloadable in a 30day trial version on cnetdownloads.com

http://download.cnet.com/Switch-Soun...-10327491.html

Even after the trial expires you can select what bitrate you want to use in either CBR or VBR.

AD
AllanDeGroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011   #8
MyCE Resident

Hey yomum yes, Foobar2k works a treat..And best part, it's free..

"I'm entitled to my opinion, and my opinion is that you're not allowed to have an opinion. - George Carlin
t0nee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011   #9
Senior Moderator

WinAmp (the $15 paid version) can do it too. The free version, with LAME out plug-in probably can too.

It's been at least 2 years, 5 months, 6 days, 11 hours, 52 minutes and 35 36 37 seconds since I had a sig...
(but who's counting?)
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011   #10
MyCE Resident

There are several that work well. I think most of us use LAME so the results are about the same depending on how the GUI of a software let's the LAME settings be used.
I beleive these were done with dbPowerAmp but I have used EAC,Audacity,Foobar2k ,BeSweet & a few others.
There is an old version of dbPowerAmp Release 10.1 . You can still find downloads for it. With LAME added it converts to .mp3's & is freeware. Later versions are shareware & more plugins are available so to some it is worth the money.
To my ears the VBR conversion in the encSpot sounds better than the CBR .
Name:  ES01.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  47.3 KB

Name:  ES02.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  47.3 KB
Old 22-09-2011   #11
MyCE Resident

Hey cholla, just a quick question..When you say that the VBR encode "sounds better" than the CBR, did you perform a listening test while knowing which was which?..I don't doubt your ears can hear a difference, just wondering if maybe knowing which was which and simply picking out the one you 'think' should sound better..When in fact, in most cases with most samples, most cannot tell/hear the difference via double blind testing....There are exceptions...
Remember the 'Pacebo effect' ..
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...ap-plonk-taste

Viewing waveforms or bitrate distribution charts is (and I'm sure you're aware of) no indication of perceived quality..Someone not knowing this might get the wrong impression that using V0 ~192-250 VBR instead of CBR at 192kbps will result in a "better sound"..
And since the topic does state 'Best quality' hence my points..
The proper way would be to conduct a double blind-test (ABX) between the original wav and the lossy versions at different settings..
Also noting that you used for your samples, two different tracks and lame versions..
FWIW, I prefer VBR as well..

"I'm entitled to my opinion, and my opinion is that you're not allowed to have an opinion. - George Carlin

Last edited by t0nee1; 22-09-2011 at 17:40.
Old 22-09-2011   #12
MyCE Resident

t0nee1 , No blind tests & sure I could have been influenced by the fact that I think VBR sounds better . I did add the "To my ears" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0nee1 View Post
Also noting that you used for your samples, two different tracks and lame versions.
Just used files I already had on an external HDD . It's been a while since I converted any CBR .MP3's . If need be I could do a same song & same LAME version but I think the sound would be the same or very close.
The same reason I use stereo instead of joint stereo . To my ears it sounds better.

I don't want to leave this out. The source material is important. I always make my .mp3's from .wav files if possible. (FLAC would probably be as good).

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0nee1 View Post
I clicked the link after I posted. I don't like the taste of wine . I've sampled some cheap that is better than any expensive I've tasted but I wouldn't call any of it "good".
I do like Welch's grape juice .
For beer some tastes good & some doesn't . The price doesn't have anything to do with it IMO.
Since I'm going off topic.
I like MGD, Natural Lite ,Busch, Wurzburger dark , & O'Douls.
I also like Michelob dark when they made it but not regular Michelob .
It's an ale but I would add Belhaven Ale to the list.
I like mine in a freezer chilled glass mug & from a bottle.

Last edited by cholla; 22-09-2011 at 18:24.
cholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011   #13
MyCE Resident

I did see and acknowledge your "To my ears" comment..
This however, "FLAC would probably be as good" I don't agree on..Flac IS just as good as wav,bit for bit and quality-wise..

Old 22-09-2011   #14
MyCE Resident

I should have added that I've only worked with FLAC a little bit. Mostly to see if my converters would create FLAC files . So the "probably" is a limitation of my own experence with FLAC .
Old 23-09-2011   #15
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholla View Post
I should have added that I've only worked with FLAC a little bit. Mostly to see if my converters would create FLAC files . So the "probably" is a limitation of my own experence with FLAC .
Yes of course, my bad!..Why else would someone use the word "probably" ....Again, I wouldn't want to mislead anyone into thinking that flac(lossless) is in any way inferior to WAV (quality wise)..Because it is not..
And as far as beers, I'm a simple man, I prefer coors light..And pork chops..But that's another topic...

Old 23-09-2011   #16
MyCE Resident

@ t0nee1 ,
This is a FLAC file I converted from a .wav file.
It uses the libFLAC 1.1.2 20050205 encoder do you know if that is a good one for FLAC ?
What FLAC encoder do you use ?
I probably set up EAC to conver directly to FLAC.

Name:  FLAC01.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  32.8 KB
Old 23-09-2011   #17
MyCE Resident

At the moment I'm using libFLAC 1.2.1 20070917....Was your source wav from an original source?..IOW from a CD rip or an original wav?..If so, and if you have any doubts as to flac and wav being identical, you can do a bitcomparison..I use f2k's bitcompare utility..Import both the original wav and it's flac and compare..it will be bit for bit identical..So how can there be any difference, since 'math works..Unless something is wrong with your sw decoder playback and or your system, it will sound the same, b/c they are identical..

Old 23-09-2011   #18
MyCE Resident

The .wav was ripped with EAC from the original commercial CD .
I gave EAC a quick try to convert directly to FLAC but it didn't work. I probably just need to Google on that.
I will see if I can do the bit compare with f2k.
Old 23-09-2011   #19
MyCE Resident

Cool..Good luck!..
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....e=EAC_and_FLAC

Old 23-09-2011   #20
MyCE Resident

These are the results I got from the bit compare utility . Take a look at them & see what you think.
Differences found in 1 out of 1 track pairs.

Comparing:
"C:\Users\Desktop\TEMP\12 - Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down.wav"
"C:\Users\Desktop\TEMP\12 - Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down0.flac"
Differences found: 23796375 sample(s), starting at 0.1597732 second(s), peak: 0.7951660 at 104.5729705 second(s), 2ch
Old 23-09-2011   #21
MyCE Resident

What app/tool did you use to convert wav>flac?..
This the result I get when ripping an original CD track using EAC to flac, and f2k to convert/decode back to it's original wav format..
You sure it's an original wav? ..Again it could be the decoding tool used..
Attached Images
To view attachments in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 23-09-2011   #22
MyCE Resident

@ t0nee1 , I'm going to work on my EAC so it will rip to FLAC . Right now it won't.
The two files I used in f2k for the comparison were a .wav ripped with EAC from the original commercial CD ,I used a fresh rip tonight just to make sure . I then converted that .wav to FLAC with dbPowerAmp .
I intend to work on it some more & see if I can get better results.
BTW They both sound fine.
Old 23-09-2011   #23
MyCE Resident

I didn't have this installed before last night: foo_bitcompare.dll
I decided a reboot might be the fix & it was.
Now the bit compares I'm getting look like the one you posted t0nee1 .
Nice to have a tool for doing this.
I also got EAC ripping FLAC direct from the CD.
Old 23-09-2011   #24
MyCE Resident

Glad to see that you're actually putting it to the test, and not just take my word for it..Most flac or other lossless haters will just stubbornly oppose the whole idea of compressing their data, thinking that somehow it will degrade the audio quality..

I used to be one of them..Always ripping to WAV, until I found flac and other lossless formats e.g ALAC, WMAL etc..Nothing wrong if you choose to rip to WAV..It's when peeps start discounting the fact that there are other lossless(compressed) formats available, and you can rest assured there will be no loss in data, in short no quality loss..
Since we're also talking f2k, I absolutely love this proggie..It just does so much more than just play audio..While you're at it(and time permits) why not just start using the ABX utility for testing your lossy or lossless conversions..Its a good way of determining what is transparent to your ears compared to an original source..I think you'll be surprised..
And lastly here is a screenie of the album playback of my sample track)s) above..Wouldn't want to show that f2k is dull looking..
Attached Images
To view attachments in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 23-09-2011   #25
MyCE Resident

@ t0nee1 , It took me a litle bit of playing with it to figure out how the ABX comparator worked. Once I did my score was 5/5 when I stopped for the two files I was comparing.
Although the ABX doesn't tell you which file is which even after you make the choice . I knew which was which.
This might suprise you but " to my ears" the FLAC file sounds better than the .wav .
A little more Bass but clearer .
Now how about a f2k tutorial on how to get my f2k GUI to look something like yours.
Mine looks pretty bland.