Old 11-06-2005   #1
Top Referrer

DVD Video to Audio CD Guide

Ok, this guide covers how to simply copy a extract the audio from a video DVD to a audio CD. The resulting quality should be excellent, almost as good as the original DVD sound quality. The tools you will need installed are:

DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 (no longer being developed for legal reasons, but can still be downloaded)
Nero 6 Burning ROM
Nero 2-Channel AC3 Input Plug-In (install after you have installed Nero 6)

Part 1: Ripping the DVD with DVD Decrypter

1. Start DVD Decrypter, go to "Mode" and select "IFO".
Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.

2. Once in IFO mode it will automatically select to copy the longest part of the DVD (so extras, into videos etc wont be included). You should not need to change this from the default. However, occasionally the first or last track(s) may just be credits, into videos etc, in this case, you will need to uncheck the boxes for those tracks.
Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

3. Once done, uncheck all boxes except one audio track, normally it will be a AC3, but it could also be a WAV or MPA file, it must be 2 channel only, surround is not supported. If there is more than one 2 channel audio file, go for the first one on the list, the others may be directors commentaries etc. Once you have selected the correct audio track, select it, and then select the "Demux" option instead of the "Direct Stream Copy" option.
Embedded Images

4. Go to the "Tools" menu and click "Settings".
Embedded Images

5. Click the "IFO Mode" tab, leave all the options on the "Create Additional Files" list unchecked, and select File Splitting to "By Chapter" (this will make each chapter a new track on the CD). Once done, click ok.
Embedded Images

6. You are now ready to copy the DVD audio file to the hard drive, make a note of where it is going to be copies to (destination) and then click the big DVD>Hard Drive button.
Embedded Images

7. It will then start reading the audio file, it may start off slow, but then get faster as it goes on.
Embedded Images

8. Once done, click ok, and close DVD Decrypter.
Embedded Images

Part 2: Burning to CD with Nero Burning ROM

1. Start Nero Burning ROM, it will say "New Compilation", select "Audio CD". Then under the tab "Audio CD" uncheck "Write CD TEXT on CD". then click "New".
Embedded Images

2. Go to "Edit" then select "Add files".
Embedded Images

3. Browse to where you selected the output files to go in DVD Decrypter, and then select all the AC3 files in there by pressing CTRL+A. Then press "Add". Once it has added them press "Finished".
Embedded Images

3. b) If you add the files and they are over 80 minutes in total (many live concert DVDs etc are) then you will have to split it across 2 CDs, simply hold CTRL and select half the tracks, and add those. Then continue, once you have made the first disk (as done below) do the same again for the other half of the tracks.
Embedded Images

and after the first half has been completed and burnt...
Embedded Images

4. Go to "Edit" then select "Select All" (or just press CTRL+A again).
Embedded Images

5. Then go to "Edit" and click "Properties".
Embedded Images

6. Click on the "Track Properties" tab. Unless you wish for 2 second silence gaps between each track, set the "Pause" to 0 seconds.
Embedded Images

7. Now click on the "Filters" tab. Check the "Normalise" box, then and take it from RMS, to "Maximum", then set the Maximum percent to 98%. This is done as many DVDs have very quiet audio compared to audio CDs, and maximisation will bring it up to a good volume. Once done, press "OK".
Embedded Images

8. Once done select the burner you wish to burn with.
Embedded Images

9. Then go to "Recorder" and click "Burn Compilation".
Embedded Images

10. Set the write speed you want, lower will produce a better result. Make sure it is burning on "Disc-at-Once" mode. Then click "Burn".
Embedded Images

10. b). You MAY get this message when you start to burn, especially if you are burning with a DVD or older CD burner. if you do just click ok. All it will mean that the 2 second silence gaps will have to be inserted between tracks. If you really don’t want this your only option is to try using another burner until you get one that doesn’t give this message.
Embedded Images

11. It will then start burning, it will start by saying "Calculating [file name]" this is just it working out the volume to set each track to. It will then burn the CD to the blank disk.
Embedded Images

12. One it has complete the burn click "OK" it should then have automaticly ejected your CD.
Embedded Images

13. Then click done and exit Nero.
Embedded Images

14. Try your CD!

Good luck, and feel free to PM/email me if you have any problems/suggestions.

Ben

Last edited by bcn_246; 11-06-2005 at 02:23.
bcn_246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: DVD Video to Audio CD Guide

Hey Ben!

Cool Guide....though i didn't read it, I'll say it's good enough by a glance

I remembered creating a guide last time, and was gonna update it at a later day, but never found time to, or should I sawy couldn't be bothered as well..

Hmmm...this is an interesting link -> http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?link=716

LOL...it's my first guide I created, a bit dodgy but good enough. But yea...keep the good work up Ben!
dvdx_925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005   #3
Top Referrer

If people find the guides of use, then I am happy to write more, I will publish a noobs guide to SafeDisc backups later today (a quick guide to backing up the latest SafeDic).

Ben
Old 11-06-2005   #4
Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdk_au
Hey Ben!

Cool Guide....though i didn't read it, I'll say it's good enough by a glance

I remembered creating a guide last time, and was gonna update it at a later day, but never found time to, or should I sawy couldn't be bothered as well..

Hmmm...this is an interesting link -> http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?link=716

LOL...it's my first guide I created, a bit dodgy but good enough. But yea...keep the good work up Ben!
We would be happy to host your guides as well, in fact we love them. They contribute a lot to the community as many people find this kind of information useful. So any time you'd like to write a guide, please contact me or one of the other admins/mods you like.
Old 29-11-2010   #5

Hi, this looks like an ancient thread, but I just found it and tried dvd decrypter according to these instructions. It produced a VOB file instead of an AC3 file. The VOB file did have just the audio I think, since when I double clicked it, my DVD player popped up and had a black screen but played the audio properly. What might I be doing wrong to case a VOB to spit out instead of an AC3?
heidilynorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010   #6
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidilynorama View Post
Hi, this looks like an ancient thread, but I just found it and tried dvd decrypter according to these instructions. It produced a VOB file instead of an AC3 file. The VOB file did have just the audio I think, since when I double clicked it, my DVD player popped up and had a black screen but played the audio properly. What might I be doing wrong to case a VOB to spit out instead of an AC3?
It's much easier to just go and use "DVD Audio Extractor" you can use it free for 30 days. http://www.castudio.org/download.php

As for this overly complex guide, if you do go the DVD Decrypter route (which I don't reccomend it) sometimes the AC3 file is still named VOB so just rename it to AC3. You will also need another tool to convert it WAV for CD (AC3 to Wave) http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PX3_AC3_to_WAV
tubebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010   #7
MyCE Resident

I think you probably did the rest correctly with DVDDecrypter but in ab=nother similar topic this seemed to be the key in getting an AC3 file:
" Remember to highlight the Audio stream in DVDDecrypter."
Old 29-11-2010   #8
MyCE Resident

Quote:
" Remember to highlight the Audio stream in DVDDecrypter."
Yeah that^^^
The DVDD method still works great today..That said, FYI you can always import the VOB(s) or AC3 directly in Audacity for editing/saving to WAV..Just DL'd the ffmpeg library for windoze..
http://manual.audacityteam.org/index...#installffmpeg

There's also PGCEdit, DGIndex etc, for audio only extraction..More than one way to skin a cat..

"I'm entitled to my opinion, and my opinion is that you're not allowed to have an opinion. - George Carlin
t0nee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010   #9
MyCE Resident

I think I have the latest version of Audacity 1.3.12-beta (Unicode).
I also have the latest ffmpeg for it.
There was a recent topic where an older version didn't extract the AC3 from a .VOB.
As t0nee1 posted the latest version does this with no problem.
The advantage of DVDD is it will rip the whole movie .AC3 track you choose.
Audacity creates a track for each .vob . Of course you can merge the .vobs & get the same result with Audacity. Maybe a better one because you can do editing if you nee to.
Old 30-11-2010   #10
Senior Moderator

Once you have VOBs on your HDD you can also use AVIDeMux. Drop one of the VOBs on it and save the audio (optionally re-encoding it).

It's been at least 2 years, 5 months, 6 days, 11 hours, 52 minutes and 35 36 37 seconds since I had a sig...
(but who's counting?)
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote