Old 08-05-2011   #1
Administrator, Software Editor and Head of Promotions

Disabling Superfectch with an SSD

Okay here is the scoop. I have build 2 new systems in the past month. Both have SSDs for Operating system drives. They are Vertex 2 120GB drives. I never owned an SSD before these 2 builds, so I did as I usually do, I try to learn as much as I can about a new piece of Hardware.

The first and most foremost thing I learned is never defrag an SSD. Now it becomes interesting. I also learned that disabling Superfetch in the Services of Windows 7 will actually help your performance and save wear and tear on the SSD. This is the part I am not so sure about. Could this be true and why?
My Computer specs are HERE Take a look New rig
Want to Know Your IP Address HERE

TELL A LIE ONCE AND ALL YOUR TRUTHS BECOME QUESTIONABLE
alan1476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #2
Retired Moderator

Re: Disabling Superfectch with an SSD

I don't know if disabling superfetch will improve performance (I doubt it), but I don't think it will have any impact on wear and tear, since superfetch reads pages into RAM and only writing to SSD puts wear and tear on it.

If your SSD has good random read performance, Windows 7 should automatically disable superfetch anyway:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2...rives-and.aspx

I wouldn't worry about it and just let Windows 7 decide whether to use superfetch or not.
Old 08-05-2011   #3
Administrator, Software Editor and Head of Promotions

Re: Disabling Superfectch with an SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrageMester View Post
I don't know if disabling superfetch will improve performance (I doubt it), but I don't think it will have any impact on wear and tear, since superfetch reads pages into RAM and only writing to SSD puts wear and tear on it.

If your SSD has good random read performance, Windows 7 should automatically disable superfetch anyway:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2...rives-and.aspx

I wouldn't worry about it and just let Windows 7 decide whether to use superfetch or not.
Thanks for that link Dragemester, very interesting indeed, just to let you know, I am not doing this for a better WEI score, I am already at 7.9 with my new build. You can see the components in my sig. I know from just making slight adjustments in what SATA ports I am connected to make a big difference in how my SSD performs. Thank for you feedback.
My Computer specs are HERE Take a look New rig
Want to Know Your IP Address HERE

TELL A LIE ONCE AND ALL YOUR TRUTHS BECOME QUESTIONABLE
alan1476 is offline   Reply With Quote