Old 05-03-2007   #1
MyCE Member

DEll XPS NO SOUND !!!!!!

I have contacted both Dell and creative Labs and could no get any info on this. So I'll try this....

I have a Dell XPS 6000 Dimension desktop. Win XP. The sound card is a (Soundblaster 2ZS.) The integrated audio onboard is (RealtekAC 97 Audio.) I heard the Windows Startup theme,but when I play a song in Windows Media Player it tells me I have a sound problem,and I can still see the music visuals playing,but hear nothing. When I shut off my center speakers,and turn them back on,I hear the sound go on, but unable to play any music.

I went to Bios to see if the integrated Audio was on,and it was. ((I've had computers in the past where I had to go to Bios,disable the onboard Audio,so I could hear the Soundblaster.))

In Bios, I disabled the integrated Audio>rebooted> then no Windows startup music. I've checked all connections and any onboard programs that could be muted or turned down, but now there is no sound. I went back to BIOS and re-enabled the Realtek 97 onboard Audio.

I went to ADD/REMOVE programs and clicked on the Audigy Soundblaster, I did a repair and it loaded up to 99%,then asked me to put in Disk 1 for the ini.setup files????? Did they mean the DELL XPS 600 resource CD with the drivers/utilities/diagnostics? or the Dell Operating System CD? Is this a dangerous thing to do that could impact this computer? I would hate to mess anything up because it's out of warranty.

Could there be a conflict with the onboard Realtek 97 and the Soundblaster soundcard, or should they work together? Thank you to all who reply.
bozoagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: DEll XPS NO SOUND !!!!!!

Disable onboard or unplug the SB.

Run dxdiag on the commandline.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2007   #3

Disabling the integrated audio should not be required if you have a separate sound card installed in the XPS 600, however, it will not cause problems if you disable it in the BIOS (unless you are trying to use it, obviously).

Since you had at least some sound before you disabled the integrated audio in the BIOS, but no longer had audio after you disabled it, I would double check where the speakers are connected and check the audio configuration to see which output device is selected.

In XP, open up the Sounds and Audio Devices properties window from the Control Panel. Check the Audio and Voice tabs to see what playback devices are selected. Based on your description i think at least one of the dropdowns was set to use the integrated audio instead of the SB card.

For some audio applications you can also select which audio device (card) to use, so you might need to check the configuration of individual programs as well. As an example, I have used Teamspeak (microphone) on the integrated audio while having the game sounds (speakers) using my SB card.

If you have any questions on this, or other problems with your system, I will be happy to provide as much help as I can.

Larry
Dell Customer Advocate
DellCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2007   #4
MyCE Member

Thanks you Larry!
I will try a few things and get back to you. Thank You for your reply..much appreciated.!
bozoagain is offline   Reply With Quote