RIAA suing major ISP's for copyright infrigement

jpm5150 used our newssubmit to point us to an article on news.com. Personally it gave me the creaps. The world's largest record companies sued some very big Internet providers like AT&T Broadband, Cable & Wireless, UUNet, Sprint and some others. The reason is that they allow users to visit an illegal China-based Web site and unlawfully download music.

The copyright-infringement suit, filed in Manhattan federal court, seeks a court order requiring the defendants to block Internet communications that travel through their systems to and from the Listen4ever site. The suit says the plaintiffs have not been able to determine who owns the Web site.

The suit alleges that the Listen4ever site enables Internet users to download music from a centralized location containing thousands of files. This allows them to make unlawful copies of as many recordings as they choose.

The plaintiffs also say that Listen4ever uses offshore servers located in the People's Republic of China to host the Web site through which the illegal copying occurs. They claim that Listen4ever provides its services to Internet users in the United States through backbone routers owned and operated by the defendants.

I don't know how you feel about this but this makes me sick. They don't know who owns the website so they just sue the Internet providers for giving access to the site. It is not their responsibility!

Also they claim that the website provides this 'service' for American users because they focus not on Chinese music but on artists like Christina Aguilera, Bruce Springsteen, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eric Clapton, Barbara Streisand, Lenny Kravitz and Whitney Houston. Are they out of their mind? These are known all over the world!

Anyone agrees with me?

Source: news.com

No posts to display