Old 20-04-2010   #1
Administrator

Converting DTS-HD audio

I bought a new Blu ray movie and my sister wanted to watch it at her house, but she doesn't have a blu ray player. I decided to make a backup in dvd-video format for her to watch....she doesn't watch a movie more than once, so its coming straight back to me afterwards.

My problems began with the audio streams that were available in the blu ray. The primary sound is DTS-HD Master Audio. The only AC-3 stream in English is the commentary track, so that was out. The DTS stream tends to choke every program I have for conversion of M2TS files into mpg2, so I had to do it separately. I got the video stream converted using AviSynth and HCenc fairly easily, but had no clue on what would work with DTS-HD MA.

Removed the audio stream with tsMuxeR, then started trying programs to convert the DTS-HD to something that would work in dvd-video. The first one that worked was Audacity with the ffmpeg plug-in, converting to AC-3. I had to use a custom mix in the Export Preferences to get multi-channel sound.

My question is...what program is optimal for this conversion to AC3? Or would it be better to use DTS audio? Can the DTS-HD be downsampled to a small enough size to fit in the dvd-video on a single layer dvd? As it came out of the blu ray, it was over 3gb in size.
Kerry56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Converting DTS-HD audio

Have you looked into eac3to?..
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/eac3to

And some good reading/info here..
http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11

I'll be doing the reading up on it, as soon as I git me a BR drive..I have a few BR discs, that I'd love rip/copy..Already have the PS3 player..

"I'm entitled to my opinion, and my opinion is that you're not allowed to have an opinion. - George Carlin
t0nee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010   #3
Administrator

ClownBD, which is a gui for eac3to, was on the list of programs to try. Just didn't start with it.

Audio is not my strong suit obviously. Thanks t0nee1.

By the way, what is DTS core out of a DTS-HD track?
Old 20-04-2010   #4
MyCE Resident

As I stated above, I'm not quite into Bluray-> conversions yet!..Here's the wiki..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS-HD_Master_Audio

Maybe it's time for me to jump on the BR train..

"I'm entitled to my opinion, and my opinion is that you're not allowed to have an opinion. - George Carlin
t0nee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015   #5
MyCE Resident

@ Kerry56 ,
I used MakeMKV to convert a blu-ray disc to a .mkv file as posted in the other thread.
The problem is the same as in this thread sort of.
The only English audio track without "commentary" is DTS-HD MA .
I hadn't previously tested my TV with this but it can't play DTS-HD MA from it's USB port.
Did you ever find software you liked to demux , convert the DTS-HD MA to AC3 , & then mux it back in ?
Or what software did you find to be best for this?

This would be from a .mkv file.
Old 26-01-2015   #6
Administrator

This thread is nearly 5 years old. My primary conversion programs, like BD Rebuilder, VidCoder and AVStoDVD have gotten much better with DTS HD MA audio in that period of time, especially since the introduction of the LAV filters.

From an MKV file, I'd probably demux with MKVCleaver, which also requires the installation of MKVToolNix.

Or simply use Audacity for everything. It should be able to extract the audio directly from the MKV if you have the ffmpeg library for Audacity installed. As stated earlier, it can convert DTS HD MA audio to AC3.

To remux the new audio, use MKVMerge GUI, which comes with MKVToolNix.

Another option, though I don't remember if I tried it in the past, is ClownBD (NOT CloneBD). ClownBD can import MKV files directly and it has the ability to convert audio streams. It can even go to the core audio within an HD DTS stream, or convert to DTS which is not common. For best compatibility, I'd try AC3 however.
Old 27-01-2015   #7
MyCE Resident

Hi Kerry , I know this thread is old but it seemed to fit except for being for DVD.

I didn't have the programs you suggested installed on my Windows 7 but I did on Vista. So I downloaded the new versions & installed some of them.

MKVCleaver separated out the wanted tracks.

I wanted to see how the separated audio track worked in Audacity so I used it.
It took me changing a few settings in Audacity for it to get 6 channels "Exported" instead of one mono channel.

MKVMerge GUI was able to do the remux.

I don't have ClownBD because it requires JAVA (Which I don't have installed on any OS I have). Otherwise I would have it.

Before I checked back I had already been trying to figure it out with ffmpeg from command . This also worked & the final .mkv's are almost identical.

Here's the ffmpeg information for doing it in one step from the MakeMKV created .mkv with the HD-DTS MA audio.

Generic command set as many maps as you have or want subtitles.
At Command prompt cd to "\path_to_ffmpeg_here".

Code:
ffmpeg -i "drive_here:\path_to_MakeMKV.mkv" -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -map 0:2 -vcodec copy -acodec ac3 -ab "bitrate_here_remove_quotes"k -c:s copy "drive_here:\path_to_desired_directory_here\desired_file_name_here.mkv"
My actual command was this:
Code:
ffmpeg -i H:\MakeMKV\DESPICABLE_ME\Despicable_Me_t02.mkv -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -map 0:2 -vcodec copy -acodec ac3 -ab 640k -c:s copy C:\Users\Username\Desktop\MYT\7.mkv
Old 27-01-2015   #8
Legal Senior Admin

It can also be done in a single step with BDtoAVCHD (i.e. downgrade high definition audio to AC3 5.1 surround sound).
Old 27-01-2015   #9
MyCE Resident

Thanks philamber ,
I gave BDtoAVCHD a try .
Doesn't have the LAV writing libraries but seems to do the job .
I haven't had time to watch the .mkv on a wide screen TV yet but I suspect it will be OK.
I definitely added it to my toolbox.