Old 16-01-2004   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

CD-text in Windows Media Player

I play my Audio CD-Rs (recorded with full CD-Text information) with PlexTools player and the CD-Text information is read perfectly. Windows Media Player 9 does not recognises CD-Text. Some 1-2 years before, WMP7 and WMP8 had also problems with CD-Text but it was corrected with one way or another (settings or fix, i don't exactly remember). In Microsoft faq and Technet i cannot find anything regarding CD-Text ! (as if Microsoft doesn't know what CD-Text is!!!). I run Windows 2000 Professional with SP4. My recording software is nero 5.5.10.45 (cd-text enabled) or PlexTools (CD-text enabled). The cd-text is confirmed that is correctly recorded!!!
Do you know why the WMP9 doesn't read CD-Text?
Is there a fix i could install? or plug-in? or... ?
Thank you very much!
Old 16-01-2004   #2
CD Freaks Audio Expert

WMP doesn't read CDText.
minix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2004   #3
Legal Senior Admin

If you want to play your cds with cd-text info displayed you could try the little freeware gem Digital CD Player .
Old 17-01-2004   #5
CD Freaks Junior Member

THANKS!

Thanks all of you my friends for your kind immediate answers.

Minix, why? CD-text is not a "closed" patent. It's free to the world. Why MS is not supporting it?
I am (almost) sure that previous players (7 or 8?) were playing CD-TEXT normally. Am I wrong?

BoSkin, thx for the links.

philamber, i downloaded Digital CD player. I can play also with the PlexTools player my cd-text cds fine.

But i'm just angry to see MS not supporting it!
Thanx!!!

P.S. Please note also that Microsoft CD player AND Winamp DO NOT READ cd-text either!!!
Old 17-01-2004   #6
CD Freaks Audio Expert

Re: THANKS!

Quote:
Originally posted by pasalimanius

Minix, why? CD-text is not a "closed" patent. It's free to the world. Why MS is not supporting it?
I am (almost) sure that previous players (7 or 8?) were playing CD-TEXT normally. Am I wrong?
I don't know why.
Are you sure you saw WMP reading CD-Text (not CDDB or cdplayer.ini) in previous versions?
Maybe Microsoft claimed to read CD-Text, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was bullshit.

WMP Mini-FAQ
"WMP can not read CDText nor can it normally burn CDText."
minix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2004   #7
CD Freaks Junior Member

Re: Re: THANKS!

Quote:
Originally posted by minix
I don't know why.
Are you sure you saw WMP reading CD-Text (not CDDB or cdplayer.ini) in previous versions?
Maybe Microsoft claimed to read CD-Text, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was bullshit.

WMP Mini-FAQ
"WMP can not read CDText nor can it normally burn CDText."
mmmm! now that you say, i had forgotten this... CDDB and other internet info... i'm not sure! This that i remember is that some 2 years before i used to read my own recorded compilations (with CD-TEXT) but i don't remember for sure with wich player (could be 6.4, 7 or 8, or even a RealPlayer or other). But i am sure i had searched MICROSOFT knowledge database and had info for this matter (guidilines to fix the problem? i don't remember). Today Microsoft doesn't give a shit for CD-text!
But probably it's my own wrong impression! I am rather not remembering correctly. Thanks.

P.S. ANY cd-text read PLUGIN for winamp ?
Old 24-01-2004   #8
CD Freaks Junior Member

incompatibilities with cd-text read

I downloaded and installed both recomended players that support CD-text read: DigitalCDplayer and Plextor's CD-text player.

The Digital CD player was playing correctly (even with my ASPI layer not installed!!!). The Plextor's only after installing the ASPI.

And now, the Plextor's CD-Text CD player is running, but not quite correctly (e.g. doesn't recognize one of my cd drives).

So i had to perform some tests and invastigating the problem, i found some very interesting things (incompatibilities and strange behaviours), that i think you would be interested to know:

Here is a table i made so you can see and compare at a glance:
http://www.geocities.com/pasalimanius/cdtexterrors.gif

Questions:
1. Why is Plextor's CD player not recognizing my SONY CD-ROM?
2. Why is my COPY of the CD-Text Audio CD not read in all instances? As an exact copy, it DOES carry the cd-text info of the original as well. Why is this CD-text info read only from the original and not also from the copy?
3. How can DigitalCDplayer read correctly the cd-text info (no matter from original or the copied cd)???
4. When we make a copy of a cd-text cd, isn't the copy also including the exact cd-text info as well? (as it should?).

Please note that both Plextor DVDR and Sony CD-ROM share the same IDE bus (Plextor=master, Sony=Slave). This is not a major problem in general. It is a problem only in some specific cases and tasks. This may cause problems in some FEW cases (and such as slowdown the processes of copying files etc. but not whatsoever such as reading a cd-text info!!!)
Old 25-10-2008   #9
New on Forum

Re: CD-text in Windows Media Player

The Cd Player in Nero shows the CD text under 'Menu'.

Quite a nice little player amongst all the 'bloatware'
knodge41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008   #10
MyCE Resident

I had some CD-TEXT related playback issues with my car audio system...

Not with the head unit but with my Sony CDX-757MX CD changer.

This unit does CD-TEXT as well as MP3/ID3

It would read "pressed" discs with text, but some (about a third)
of jmy bured discs (on sony labeled T-Y audio CD-R discs) simply would not play correctly in the changer.

There would be a LONG delay then the CD would start playing at track 8 -10, but could be "skip tracked" back to track 2.
if you skipped back to track #1 the error would repeat and it would jump nearly to the end of the CD.
However you could get it to play track 1 by "rewinding" back through track #2.

Tect would display correctly but obviously the glitch was very annoying.

I eliminated the problem by either editing a 4 or 5second "pregap"
to track #1 in the .cue file.
OR (what I do now) I simply don't use the EAC generated cue sheet.
I append the tracks to the write list (I use EAC to burn)
then manual edit the titles into the Cue sheet.

these discs play and display text information correctly

AD
AllanDeGroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009   #11
CD Freaks Member

May all your dreams come true.

http://bmproductions.fixnum.org/wmpcdtext
Old 13-02-2009   #12
Senior Moderator

Quote:
For reading CD-Text on Windows XP and 2003, administrator rights are required
Crap software
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009   #13
New on Forum

Hi, it's probably kinda late to reply to this thread (which makes this post a serious bump), but it's the first time I see this, so here I go anyway.

I think it's a bit exaggerated to label my plug-in as "crap" just because it needs administrator rights on XP and 2003. This is in fact the very first complaint I hear about this.

The percentage of people not running under administrator rights in these OS's is so small, that it would not justify all the extra trouble to make this work (it's not just a simple fix). Of course, this percentage is a lot higher on Vista and newer (because of User Account Control), but that's not an issue as administrator rights aren't required anymore there.

Kind regards

Tim De Baets
Tim De Baets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009   #14
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim De Baets View Post
(...)
I think it's a bit exaggerated to label my plug-in as "crap" just because it needs administrator rights on XP and 2003.
No it is not. NT 5.x hit the market 10 (ten) years ago. Since then, MS provided tons of information and guidelines for software authors how to create NT5.x compliant software. One condition is: Applications don't have to require Admin permissions. Period.
Only exception: software that is intended for system maintenance.
Unfortunately, even well-known software publishers ignore the MS guidelines
Quote:
This is in fact the very first complaint I hear about this.
Unfortunately, there are not many people around, that really care about their security and system integrity
Quote:
The percentage of people not running under administrator rights in these OS's is so small, that it would not justify all the extra trouble to make this work
And this is the problem. Even if users can be convinced to not use accounts with administrative permissions, they give up very fast since their software (written by authors who think the same way as you) will refuse to work then.

Kind regards, and please don't take these my words not as personal offense.

Michael
Old 14-06-2009   #15
Author of DVD Decrypter & ImgBurn

To be fair, I assume this is a limitation of using SPTI... you need admin permissions to 'open' the drive - and of course my program suffers the same fate.

There are ways around it and I bet they'd work for this plug-in too.
Old 14-06-2009   #16
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
NT 5.x hit the market 10 (ten) years ago. Since then, MS provided tons of information and guidelines for software authors how to create NT5.x compliant software.
Those guidelines may be good for software companies that want to get a fancy "Designed for XP" logo on their product, but they are no commitment whatsoever for people who are developing software as a hobby, like me. If I would have to make sure that my programs follow all the guidelines, I would probably spend all my free time on just that and have no time left to implement any new features. That being said, I do try to follow most of them, but only when the required work is proportional to the importance.

Also, if I would have to choose between a new feature that only a few people will notice, and one that lots of people will like, I would much rather spend my free time on the latter.

Quote:
Unfortunately, there are not many people around, that really care about their security and system integrity
If you are so concerned about security, then why aren't you running Vista?

Quote:
Kind regards, and please don't take these my words not as personal offense.
I just think it's a bit disrespectful of you to label my plug-in as "crap", considering all the work I have put into it. Maybe the plug-in works alright for many other people and maybe they are happy with it? If you aren't happy with the plug-in, then just don't download it, it's that simple. And if you really feel the need to express your criticism in a forum, then please let it be a little more constructive than just calling it "crap".

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGHTNING UK! View Post
To be fair, I assume this is a limitation of using SPTI... you need admin permissions to 'open' the drive - and of course my program suffers the same fate.
There are ways around it and I bet they'd work for this plug-in too.
That is correct, SPTI requires administrator rights on XP and 2003. The workaround is to make the SPTI calls in a service instead and let the service pass the results back to the application. A solution that is overkill for a simple plug-in that just wants to read CD-Text, IMO.

Kind regards

Tim De Baets
Old 14-06-2009   #17

Yes, a service is overkill for such a tool.

I was actually referring to the workarounds detailed here though:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?s...findpost&p=969
Old 14-06-2009   #18
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim De Baets View Post
Those guidelines may be good for software companies that want to get a fancy "Designed for XP" logo(...). That being said, I do try to follow most of them, but only when the required work is proportional to the importance.
Okay, admitted. And now the final step is missing
Quote:
Also, if I would have to chose between a new feature that only a few people will notice, and one that lots of people will like, I would much rather spend my free time on the latter.
That is your right to do so.
Quote:
If you are so concerned about security, then why aren't you running Vista?
What for? I am used to work without admin permissions on my systems - so there is no advantage with Vista for me.
Quote:
I just think it's a bit disrespectful of you to label my plug-in as "crap",
In such case, I am always disrespectful. Cyberlink did manage to get a high rank on my "ditch" list also.
Quote:
If you aren't happy with the plug-in, then just don't download it, it's that simple.
That's what I usually do. And I say "thank you" for clearly stating the admin requirements.
Quote:
And if you really feel the need to express your criticism in a forum, then please let it be a little more constructive than just calling it "crap".
I commented a recommendation of another user. Nobody asked me for a more detailled description of my point-of-view.
Quote:
That is correct, SPTI requires administrator rights on XP and 2003. The workaround is to make the SPTI calls in a service instead(...) A solution that is overkill for a simple plug-in that just wants to read CD-Text, IMO.
Could FrogAspi help?

Michael
Old 14-06-2009   #19

FrogAspi (or rather, FrogRights) just changes the group policy setting ('allocatecdroms') mentioned in the thread I linked to... but yes, that would probably solve the issue.
Old 15-06-2009   #20
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGHTNING UK! View Post
I was actually referring to the workarounds detailed here though:
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?s...findpost&p=969
Oh, I didn't know about those, thanks I will link to those workarounds on the WMPCDText page of my website.