Old 10-01-2011   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
CCleaner recover deleted items

Good afternoon, Can you inform me if there is a tool within CCleaner to get back all the items that has been deleted? I have tried a tool via Internet cold Index data spy, but that did not work.

Pls inform. Thank you.

rgds, Claudia
Claudia1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011   #2
Senior Administrator & Reviewer
 
Seán's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Republic of Ireland (North West)
Posts: 11,180
Welcome aboard

As far as I'm aware of, once CCleaner deletes files, they are gone in the same way as manually deleting these files and emptying the recycle bin. You could try using undeletion software (e.g. Recuva undelete freeware), which may be able to undelete some files, assuming you know which folders they were located in.

If you are trying to recover registry items, there are two ways you can do this:
  1. When CCleaner carried out the registry cleaning, it would have asked you to save a registry file. To restore this, go into the folder where you saved this file and double-click it. Then click 'Yes' to apply this to the registry. Now, all the registry cleaning CCleaner has carried out is undone.
  2. If you skipped that backup step or deleted the recovery registry file, you will need to carry out a system restore. Go into Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. Now choose a date before you run CCleaner and perform the system restore.
Seán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seán View Post
Welcome aboard

As far as I'm aware of, once CCleaner deletes files, they are gone in the same way as manually deleting these files and emptying the recycle bin. You could try using undeletion software (e.g. Recuva undelete freeware), which may be able to undelete some files, assuming you know which folders they were located in.

If you are trying to recover registry items, there are two ways you can do this:
  1. When CCleaner carried out the registry cleaning, it would have asked you to save a registry file. To restore this, go into the folder where you saved this file and double-click it. Then click 'Yes' to apply this to the registry. Now, all the registry cleaning CCleaner has carried out is undone.
  2. If you skipped that backup step or deleted the recovery registry file, you will need to carry out a system restore. Go into Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. Now choose a date before you run CCleaner and perform the system restore.

Thank you Sean, I will try to use the Recuva because I already tried to restore te system, but that did not work. If I have any more questions or I am not sure if I am doing it correctly, I will return to you. Thanks.
Claudia1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011   #4
Senior Moderator
 
mciahel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 17,090
Re: CCleaner recover deleted items

Hi,

you might also have a look into the CCleaner documentation.
One article I found:
http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleane...e-run-ccleaner

Additionally, you may try a system restore.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2
I have found this thread and followed Seans advice about the system restore, I cant beleive I forgot about restore, but as this is a brand new pc I didnt think I would have any restore points, but luckily I had one and it worked a treat. I have now removed CCleaner as it done a fair bit of damage. It a shame as I have been using it for years without any problems. Many thanks for posting your advice

Last edited by normatude; 29-10-2011 at 07:31. Reason: mistake
normatude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011   #6
MyCE Resident
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,754
If a computer has been powered up and gone online AND downloaded any windows updates OR had any additional software installed (Ccleaner for example?) it will have several restore points.

When I do a fresh install with a windows installation disc on a virgin hard drive before I'm done installing and updating and adding normal software I'm into about five hours.... and at the end of those five hours there are generally thirty plus restore points.

AD
AllanDeGroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3
I have never had a problem with CCleaner..

Really curious to know what it messed up, if you can share that information I'd appreciate it...
RayLNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011   #8
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanDeGroot View Post
If a computer has been powered up and gone online AND downloaded any windows updates OR had any additional software installed (Ccleaner for example?) it will have several restore points.

When I do a fresh install with a windows installation disc on a virgin hard drive before I'm done installing and updating and adding normal software I'm into about five hours.... and at the end of those five hours there are generally thirty plus restore points.

AD

Thanks for the advice, but for some reason the default restore point settings were to retain less than 1gb, and as it was just out the box and I had installed new anti-virus and loads of other software, plus countless windows updates, there were only 4 or 5 restore points, since the problem I have now upped restore points setting to 20gb max. Maybee I have missed something if its normal to have so many restore point with a just out of the box laptop, but this is my first time with win7 and 64bit to boot. Just to add to the problem I am now getting BSOD every few days, so its either the recovery disc or back to the shop. I wish I could restore it back to the first few restore points. Anyway thanks for your input Allan
normatude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3
I'm completely confused. I've been using CCleaner for about a month now. I'm a college student and typed up two very important essays last night, I made sure to save them. I triple checked, not kidding. However, I have CCleaner set to run automatically at 4 every morning and at 6 I got up to print them out and they were nowhere to be found. My processor is a Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit and I'm not exactly sure how to restore anything, and I tried the Recuva but it is taking a L0NG time. Any feedback would be wonderful because I feel like a complete idiot. Thanks.
kaylaowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #10
MyCE Resident
 
cholla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Amarillo ,Texas
Posts: 8,162
Open the program you typed them in & type anything & save it.
This should show you the last location that it saved files to.
That may not help but it is a start.
I've been using CC a long time & never had it delete saved files.
__________________
cholla pronounced ˈchȯi-yə click on cholla to hear
cholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #11
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholla View Post
Open the program you typed them in & type anything & save it.
This should show you the last location that it saved files to.
That may not help but it is a start.
I've been using CC a long time & never had it delete saved files.
It was on Microsoft Word and that was the first thing I tried but now I don't have any files under there either, or on my documents.
kaylaowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #12
MyCE Resident
 
CDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,294
More likely that CCleaner removed shortcuts to the files, not the files themselves. For example it will remove entries in the "recent documents" list on the start menu and in Word itself, but it does not delete saved files. Open Word and attempt to save a new file, see where it's saving the file to, maybe your documents are there.
__________________
Current drives running here: LG-GSA-H62N, iHBS 112-2, LG-WH14NS40, iHAP 422
CDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012   #13
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3
So I did exactly what you said, saved a file that said"111111111111111" and I named it "cgvhb", saw it saved under "My Documents". So I opened "My Documents" and only the file named "cgvhb" was there.
kaylaowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to delete "deleted items.dbx" laminarflow Newbie Forum 1 12-12-2010 17:18
REQUEST: How can I recover data from a hard drive that I may have deleted the partitions on? 100:10100 Solid State Drives (SSD), Hard Drives (HDD) and NAS 2 22-12-2008 04:26
recover deleted files FordPrefect Living Room 3 15-08-2001 08:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:45.
Top