Old 13-02-2007   #1
New on Forum

Can't play DVD movies from hard drive

Hey all, I joined the forums hoping to find a solution to my problem. I scoured the internet and have found nothing that has helped. Here is a description of my problem.

First and foremost, I have been burning movies, games, software, etc. for a long long time, so I am in no way a noob to backing up movies, games, software, etc. For movies I use DVD Decrypter to rip the movie to my hard drive, then I use PGCEdit to remove any pre-menu trailers, FBI warnings, etc., check the playback with PowerDVD, and then I use Pinnacle InstantCopy 8.3.0.8 to burn since it offers the best quality compression for movies larger than 4.37 GB. I have backed up many many movies this way and never ever had a problem with any of it.

Here is my problem. I just recently built a new PC, but I'm using all the same software I was using before. On my new PC, I am unable to open any DVD movie I rip to my hard drive. I have tried both PowerDVD and WinDVD and neither will work. I can load the files in PGCEdit and load them in InstantCopy to burn fine, but I can't play the movie from the hard drive from a software DVD player. When I try it says there is no valid DVD content in the folder. I am using all the same software I was using on my older PC, and even using the same DVD burner. The only thing that has changed is this time I installed a version of Windows XP that has SP2 built in, where my older PC I installed a first generation version of XP but I still had SP2 installed separately, so essentially everything is the same, however now I am unable to play DVD movies from the hard drive. For the life of me I cannot figure out why. Anybody have any idea what's going on? This is extremely frustrating.
TheHorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Can't play DVD movies from hard drive

Maybe a file-type association issue?
CDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007   #3
New on Forum

Well file types aren't an issue because I'm trying to open the files directly from PowerDVD and WinDVD. Basically what it boils down to is I'm doing everything EXACTLY the same as I was doing on my older PC, but for whatever reason I cannot load DVD movies from a folder on my hard drive. I'm wondering if maybe the more recent Windows XP Pro versions with SP2 integrated could be the problem, since that is the only thing that has changed. It's very strange and a real pain in the arse.
Old 13-02-2007   #4
MyCE Member

Maybe a fullscale invasion of DRM on your OS? Who knows, maybe MS might throw some DRM in the newer CD's. Have you tried copying these files and playing them on your old PC? How about hooking the HDD to your old PC and seeing if you can access the files? Just a thought. Maybe these new DVD's have an updated protection?

We are not mind readers, we can't help you if we don't know exactly what you are trying to do.

My PC:
Windows Vista Ultimate Retail | Intel E6600 Retail | Intel 975XBX2 [Bios 2674] Motherboard Retail | 4GB OCZ FLexXLC DDR2 PC 6400 Retail 4-4-4-15 Timings | HIS X1950XTX 512MB (stole this from my bro lol) Retail | Dell 2007FP 20.1" Monitor 1600x1200 | Thermaltake 750W PSU | Lian Li Silver PC-68 USB Case

Plextor 716-SA April 2005 2yrs Old | Plextor Premium April 2005 2yrs Old Drive is laying around somewhere | LiteOn LH-20A1H December 2006 Good Scanner/Okay Burner | Samsung SH-S183L February 2006 Good Scanner/Solid Burns | LG GSA-H42N February 2006 Can't Scan/Solid Burns
MetalSlayerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007   #5
New on Forum

I think I'm going to try to find my older version of XP and install it and see what happens. Logically speaking that should fix the problem since that's the only thing I did different. It's weird because I can do everything BUT load a DVD movie from my hard drive in PowerDVD or WinDVD. I can edit the files with PGCEdit and burn them with InstantCopy without a hitch. Anyway, bottom line, f*ck Microshaft and their attempts to rob us of our "digital rights" as a consumer to make backups of our original discs. I don't know about everyone else, but I only want to have to pay $20 for a DVD movie once.
Old 03-01-2008   #6
New on Forum

I found your post - and am a bit new at dvd ripping, but this is what I do and it works flawlessly:

1.) use dvd shring 3.2 to convert the dvd to an ISO file that you can store on an external Hard Drive (Free Agent works nicely) or to your own large hard drive. 4.6G typically.
2.) Using win XP sp2 you can mount a drive to that iso file using: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/620/x...t_burning_them

Follow those instructions to associate a virtual cd rom drive letter to the iso and open up windows media player - The content plays just like a dvd, with everything you'd expect as though the dvd were in the drive, except with much faster 'find' and forwarding ability.

Hope this helps - it's not how you do things now, but I have been doing this for a few weeks now on both a pc and laptop both win xp pro sp2 with no problems.

I'm converting to linuxmce on another machine to try that out with mythtv and will utilize my FreeAgent full of iso files -

Have fun -
joeblow506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #7
MyCE Resident

I use the same progs you do and I have XP Pro SP2(integrated) and never have a problem. Are you using the newest version of DVD Decrypter? When you burn the DVD's, do they play on other PC's and stand alone?
slytrans69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #8
CDFreaks Resident

Here is the easiest solution for you, no cost involved and you will like it.
Go download VLC Media Player, it plays everything even image files. When installing it, make sure you check box the Context Menu so it will have the menu on your right click mouse menu. You can play the whole Video_TS folder by right click on that folder and click on play with VLC media player. For image files, right click on the image file and click on open with then choose VLC media player. Forget about WinDVD and PowerDVD
Current System: Asus U6S-A1 with Intel T7500 2.2ghz C2D; 4gb RAM, 200gb Hitachi 2.5" 7200RPM /w 16mb cache; 12" Led Backlit Display; Hitachi/LG GSA-U10A laptop drive; Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit; BenQ 1655 in Cypress ATA2+ Chip Enclosure; Seagate 500gb Pro eSATA drive; HP 30" LCD S-IPS display via HDMI-DVI converter from Asus U6S-A1 Output
ghetocowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #9
CD Freaks Rookie

Guys just highlight the video files that mack up the DVD and right click and chose the ( ADD TO MIDEA PLAYER ) and wala you play the hole movie just like you had the disc. Just make sure you have a DVD player on your system. Power DVD is the best but that could just be me !!!
1life2live4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009   #10
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetocowboy View Post
Here is the easiest solution for you, no cost involved and you will like it.
Go download VLC Media Player, it plays everything even image files. When installing it, make sure you check box the Context Menu so it will have the menu on your right click mouse menu. You can play the whole Video_TS folder by right click on that folder and click on play with VLC media player. For image files, right click on the image file and click on open with then choose VLC media player. Forget about WinDVD and PowerDVD
I was having a similar problem, and this works. Only when you open it by right-clicking on the video_ts folder, not by opening from inside VLC. Good luck!
australianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009   #11
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by australianman View Post
I was having a similar problem, and this works. Only when you open it by right-clicking on the video_ts folder, not by opening from inside VLC. Good luck!
Rather then posting on outdated thread you should create your own thread and plus those Players are for DVD not dvd files. I think your confusing DVD media with so called DVD quality media rips. Those two programs as stated are for physical DVD medium movies. Also Noted this is old thread and if you have new problems considering your not the OP of this thread create a thread for your own problems will get more help.
coolcolors is offline   Reply With Quote