Old 27-04-2004   #1
CD Freaks Senior Member

Best LP to CD software

What is the best LP to CD converting software this would include removing pops, hiss, and clicks from the source material.? This would also include either being noob friendly or a good manual or good online help

TIA
Old 28-04-2004   #2
CDFreaks Resident

Re: Best LP to CD software

In my view, Sound Forge®

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.

DX Favorites > Sonic Foundry > Vinyl Restoration :

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

BoSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2004   #3
CD Freaks Rookie

Yeah, Sound Forge Noise Reduction plugin package (including Noise Reduction, Vinyl Restoration, Click And Crackle & Clipped Peak Restoration) is the overally best tool, having advanced options for tweaking, and being pretty efficient at removing clicks/crackles, and absolutely best for removing constant humming-type background noise.
It only fails when clicks & crackles are really pronunced as found in overused & seriously cratched vinyls.
Its User Guide is also detailed and straightforward.

It's far superior to the more popular Steinberg/Pinnacle Clean.
Never mind about Goldwave, Magic Audio Cleaning lab, Wave Clean, and Dart XP Pro.

Haven't tried Wave Restoration Bundle's Click-Crackle Removal module.
amy118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2004   #4
MyCE Resident

If you're willing to spend 400$ (USD) bucks on a program just for ripping and quite some time then you probably can afford a remastered cd instead....
//Danne
DiiZzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2004   #5
CD Freaks Senior Member

Thanks Gentlemen. A freind of mine had bought Clean but I wasn't impressd with it. It didn't do the job as well as I would have liked and it was limited in what I could do.

What do you think of this combonation; WaveLab and Sound Forge's Noise Reduction Plugin?
Old 29-04-2004   #6
CD Freaks Rookie

If Wavelab (don't know its price) is much cheaper than SoundForge, then that sounds OK. Or any other cheap (ie $29-$39) wave editor which is compatible with the SoundForge DX Noise Red plugin would do fine (Probably Goldwave).
Still remember that the SoundForge's NR can't do miracle on heavily scratched vinyl. It's just way better than Steinberg Clean, CoolEdit Pro and most other competitors.

Quote:
If you're willing to spend 400$ (USD) bucks on a program just for ripping and quite some time then you probably can afford a remastered cd instead....
Sure, but not helpful in case the vinyls are rare LPs which aren't to be found at any US record store.
I know quite a bunch of them.
amy118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2004   #7
CD Freaks Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DiiZzY
//Danne
Gee thanks for such a helpful and insightful post.

There are such things as the most of the Capitol (US) versions of the Beatles albums which will never be put on CD legitimately. I have a few of them on bootlegs and other I will have to do myself. The only Capitol releases that have been officially released are the Red and Blue albums. This would include all LPs up to and including Revolver
Old 05-05-2004   #8
MyCE Resident

I use DC Millenium from enhancedaudio.com . I have tried alot of restoration products and although I have Soundforge I still use DC Millenium for restoring vinyl. Full range of filters and If needed it has some very nice copy, paste, pasteover functions for the real bad areas of the wave file. Excellent support and manual also. It was designed primarily for vinyl. And it costs about 1/4 of what Soundforge does.
nmpaulcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005   #9
New on Forum

I use a variety of products. The DAK software is good for recording an entire LP side and then I go into it and isolate the songs from the space between them.

I sometimes use the Nero wave editor for additional pop and crackle work.

I have some web pages that may help. See:

http://dvautier.home.comcast.net/audio/audio.htm

and maybe this one:

http://dvautier.home.comcast.net/lp/lp.htm

hope some of this helps.
dvautier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2005   #10
CD Freaks Senior Member

Sorondil;
while I see this thread is approaching a year and a half old - I stumbled onto some restoration and recording old 78 info that may eventually prove helpful to all reading;
http://www.videointerchange.com/vintage_78s1.htm
EyeForOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007   #11
New on Forum

If you want to digitize a record side and walk away for 20 minutes, then I like the DAK software. It's about $20. You can put in markers and save it later on. If you want to do individual song editing I think the Nero editor stuff has some good hiss and pop removal.

Just a thought...anyway... See more of my useless comments at:

http://dvautier.home.comcast.net/lp/lp.htm
dvautier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007   #12
MyCE Junior Member

u can try this Acoustica Spin It Again
pankusareen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #13
MyCE Resident

Wave Repair is a $30 shareware program designed specifically for this task. You can use it for recording and editing .wav files. I have used it for many, many vinyl conversions and am very happy with it. Includes a nice manual, which you can print out.....regards, gamma1
Old 12-07-2007   #14
MyCE Resident

Location: Between a rock and a ...bar (usually nearer the bar than the rock)

Actually this is a hardware solution

Embedded Images

Finally, a way to record from vinyl to CD that doesn’t require a computer or an engineering degree.

With the TEAC GF-350, you simply load a blank CD, put on your album, press “Record”, lower the tone arm, and press “Play”… it’s virtually that simple.

You can record the entire album or just selected tracks to make your own unique compilation discs.

Check it out
A Lenovo T410 laptop with i5 & 8GB RAM for the road - a cool old workhorse and well worth the money second-hand with a warranty. Numerous external HDDs by Trekstor, Transcend, Toshiba & WD (total about 16TB). ...and a PC with i7-2600k, 16Gb RAM, Crucial M4 128GB SSD & 2 x 2TB HDDs, W10, and two Dell Ultrasharp U2410 monitors. Canon iP4600 & iX4000 printers, Canon 4200F scanner, Samsung Galaxy S6 (32GB) phone. GoPro Hero camera. Sony RX100 MkIII (ultimate compact camera!), and Canon 5D MkII camera (fav lens is the 17 - 40mm...don´t waste your money on the 16 - 35 which is as good but double the price), Samyang 14mm, Sigma 120 - 400. Assorted mountain and road racing bikes (one is as pink as this font!) , and a slightly scuffed, black, lowered BMW 316i coupé to impress chicks with... Oh, and bars, locks, electrified door handles, alarms, video surveillance...& sometimes a hungry dog hangs out there too. What else?: Feel free to join my fan club on Facebook as "Dean Nixon Photographer" and on Instagram as "instamann" (just add beer...!).Click here to get to Mordor! Get AnyDVD CloneDVD2 CloneCD here, and don´t forget to read The Rules.
deanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007   #15
MyCE Resident

Others have only CF slots and work with the same schemata.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007   #16
CD Freaks Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanimator
Actually this is a hardware solution
Kind of interesting and a bit time saving, but if you've already got a high quality deck and system, then that's a lot of extra money to spend, for something that will be lower quality.
Also it doesn't seem to give you the ability to edit the wave files - uploading from vinyl doesn't take very long at all, but editing the files to remove crackle, vinyl hiss and hum from the turntable, plus remove noise from scratches etc, takes flippin' ages.
If you don't edit, it will sound like crap.

The methods using direct recording to sound card, or recording vis USB device, really aren't that difficult to set up.
Prof. Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007   #17
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Honeydew
Kind of interesting and a bit time saving, but if you've already got a high quality deck and system, then that's a lot of extra money to spend, for something that will be lower quality.
Also it doesn't seem to give you the ability to edit the wave files - uploading from vinyl doesn't take very long at all, but editing the files to remove crackle, vinyl hiss and hum from the turntable, plus remove noise from scratches etc, takes flippin' ages.
If you don't edit, it will sound like crap.

The methods using direct recording to sound card, or recording vis USB device, really aren't that difficult to set up.
I agree Prof. Honeydew,
Although there are many ways to do this with presets that are on many software, they usually do not do that good of a job unless the album is in excellent condition, is very clean, and you use a good turntable, cartridge, and stylus. Most soundcards that are out there just do not have the frequency response to accurately reproduce the sound from analog sources. I use a Terratec soundcard that has a near perfectly flat response through the audible spectrum, with a built in phono preamp and RCA jacks so i can plug directly into the sound card. I also use either Wavelab Soundforge or my favorite DC6 by Enhanced Audio. If I am going to take the time to record an album I want it to sound top notch.
I am curious though, as to what quality the components in this piece of equipment. IE turntable, cartridge, conversion. TEAC has always made good tape equipment but not sure about this device.
A warrior doesn't know remorse for anything he has done, because to isolate one's acts as being mean, or ugly, or evil is to place an unwarranted importance on ourselves.The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of the work is the same.
Old 13-07-2007   #18
CD Freaks Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmpaulcp
Although there are many ways to do this with presets that are on many software, they usually do not do that good of a job unless the album is in excellent condition, is very clean, and you use a good turntable, cartridge, and stylus.
Agree totally I've never found any of the software pre-sets to work very well even with a good system and mint condition vinyl, unless the track has a very simple wave file. Any that I've investigated have either distorted the audio, or failed to remove clicks.
I use a USB device to avoid recording through the sound card completely - I'm pretty happy with the results, but plan on setting up a few more ways of recording, just out of curiosity (although it will probably end up with me spending $$$$ on a new sound card

Quote:
I am curious though, as to what quality the components in this piece of equipment. IE turntable, cartridge, conversion. TEAC has always made good tape equipment but not sure about this device.
It looks like they just made this as a quick and easy fix for people to record from vinyl - maybe for people who don't actually have a turntable anymore, so I wouldn't expect it to be designed for quality.
The fact that it's all in one portable unit, means that there is no damping of vibrations, and it's not going to be set up level etc etc.
That would upset me too much to consider using it
Old 13-07-2007   #19
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Honeydew
Agree totally I've never found any of the software pre-sets to work very well even with a good system and mint condition vinyl, unless the track has a very simple wave file. Any that I've investigated have either distorted the audio, or failed to remove clicks.
I use a USB device to avoid recording through the sound card completely - I'm pretty happy with the results, but plan on setting up a few more ways of recording, just out of curiosity (although it will probably end up with me spending $$$$ on a new sound card

It looks like they just made this as a quick and easy fix for people to record from vinyl - maybe for people who don't actually have a turntable anymore, so I wouldn't expect it to be designed for quality.
The fact that it's all in one portable unit, means that there is no damping of vibrations, and it's not going to be set up level etc etc.
That would upset me too much to consider using it
I am partial to Terratec sound cards. I use a DMX sixfire which is the previous version of this one.
http://sounden.terratec.net/modules....rticle&sid=197

This company has a very good selection of excellent sound cards and software. They also have tutorials on different software filters for removing all types of noise, along with other tips for restoring audio from vinyl. Good reading if you like that sort of thing. I have recently started recording to 24 bit/192 kHz and burning “DVD-audio” disks. It sounds amazing. http://www.tracertek.com/
A warrior doesn't know remorse for anything he has done, because to isolate one's acts as being mean, or ugly, or evil is to place an unwarranted importance on ourselves.The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of the work is the same.
Old 13-07-2007   #20
Bob
Resident lunatic

Location: Looking for my zigzags ~ I come from the no place and i go to the no where

I don't even have a turntable anymore but i wish i still did for some impossible to find CD's of albums i have.

Looks like pc audio equipment has come a long way now.

Click HERE to join CDFreaks.com

Keith Richards ~ "If You Want The Last Laugh........Join The Rolling Stones"
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007   #21
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling56
I don't even have a turntable anymore but i wish i still did for some impossible to find CD's of albums i have.

Looks like pc audio equipment has come a long way now.
The hardware has come along way especially soundcards. Software has made some big improvements also. Its nice that there are afew companies realize that vinyl is still an excellent medium for audio and some have focused on recording and restoring music that might otherwise be lost. You might be suprised at the collection of Blues (I know you are into the blues) among other types of music that are being mastered and remastered from original master tapes. Many vintage recordings are being released by a few companies on high quality vinyl, SACD, and DVD-audio. Take a look at www.acousticsounds.com .
I recently picked up a re-release of Jethro Tull Aqualung, Yes Fragile, and a thirty year anniversary edition of Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon. on 180 to 200 gram vinyl remastered from the original master tapes from them. They also have an amazing collection of used vinyl most in excellent condition.
Old 13-07-2007   #22
Bob
Resident lunatic

Location: Looking for my zigzags ~ I come from the no place and i go to the no where

Quote:
The hardware has come along way especially soundcards. Software has made some big improvements also. Its nice that there are afew companies realize that vinyl is still an excellent medium for audio and some have focused on recording and restoring music that might otherwise be lost. You might be suprised at the collection of Blues (I know you are into the blues) among other types of music that are being mastered and remastered from original master tapes. Many vintage recordings are being released by a few companies on high quality vinyl, SACD, and DVD-audio. Take a look at www.acousticsounds.com .
I recently picked up a re-release of Jethro Tull Aqualung, Yes Fragile, and a thirty year anniversary edition of Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon. on 180 to 200 gram vinyl remastered from the original master tapes from them. They also have an amazing collection of used vinyl most in excellent condition.
Thanks for the link. They even have some Little Hatch on CD there. I've seen him blow the harmonica several times in Kansas City.

Click HERE to join CDFreaks.com

Keith Richards ~ "If You Want The Last Laugh........Join The Rolling Stones"
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007   #23
MyCE Rookie

I use Wave Corrector for cleaning LP files in wav format and am very pleased with the results. It is easy to use and is very effective. The website is for a description and tools it uses: http://www.wavecor.co.uk/index.html
Howperwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007   #24
New on Forum

I burn my LPs to DVD Audio, they sound better and last longer. I use an elliptical diamond needle to read further into the groove. A good preamp for the turntable is important; I like the Rega, there are lots of good choices.
On the A to D end of things, the Saffire LE is excellent as a cheap solution, as well as the RME, or, for a bit more money, Mytek, Troisi or Lavry.
Cleaning the LP before digitizing will always sound better than post processing, get a Nitty Gritty.
quagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007   #25
CD Freaks Die Hard

Quote:
I am partial to Terratec sound cards. I use a DMX sixfire which is the previous version of this one.
http://sounden.terratec.net/modules....rticle&sid=197

This company has a very good selection of excellent sound cards and software. They also have tutorials on different software filters for removing all types of noise, along with other tips for restoring audio from vinyl. Good reading if you like that sort of thing. I have recently started recording to 24 bit/192 kHz and burning “DVD-audio” disks. It sounds amazing. http://www.tracertek.com/
Thanks for links Look interesting products
I tend to use WaveRepair, and find it great (but it gives you a lot of control, and I am opinionated about editing ). Howevere, I may have a look at some of the demo software to see what it's like.