Old 03-09-2012   #1
Senior Administrator and Reviewer

OK own up. Who actually likes Windows 8?

I've been using the Enterprise Evaluation version for a week or so, and although I still don't much like Metro, I'm finding the OS itself is really quite nice.

After a few issues with some older software being resolved and being able to get these applications working properly, I'm much more optimistic about Win8.

It's really fast, and has much better support for SSDs, Thunderbolt, USB3 and IE10 is awesome.
Heck it even allows my system to sleep and awake properly, which is something no other OS has allowed (without some issues) for my hardware setup.

Now that I've got the hang of using the Win8 interface, I'm finding that I do actually like Windows 8, which is something I never thought I would say.

Anyone else willing to own up to actually liking Win8?

MyCE SSD Reviews

To become a member of MyCE.com just click here to join
The Forum Rules | The SSD FAQ | The NEC/Optiarc F.A.Q. | Liggy & Dee's NEC/Optiarc Firmware Page
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #2
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Anyone else willing to own up to actually liking Win8?
Not me.

At first I thought that replacing the Start Menu with screen-formerly-known-as-Metro was a terrible idea - they should have given people the choice.

But the more I think about it, the more it seems that something else is a far more terrible idea; Windows 8 "Metro" interface is an attempt to kill the "Windows" part of Windows, making applications that run in a window as opposed to full screen be considered legacy, deprecated and relegated to the Desktop application, while setting application development on a path towards (mostly) full-screen applications where you can only see one or two at a time.

This may be fine for a smart-phone, but it's a terrible way to go for productivity on a desktop/laptop computer.

This is not going forwards; this is going backwards!

The performance improvements cannot make up for productivity loss.

Also, I think it's a bad idea for Microsoft to make it potentially easier for (many of) their customers to be retrained on a Mac or Linux rather than be retrained on Windows 8.
Old 04-09-2012   #3
Administrator

I like Win 8, but only after some modifications. If I couldn't use an alternative shell for the desktop, then I'd stick with Windows 7. Luckily we have several choices available to replace the controls that Microsoft threw out.

At the moment, I don't have any use for the Start screen or the new apps they have there. I just don't spend any time in that part of the operating system.

Once in the desktop, I don't see much difference between Win 8 and Win 7 as far as performance. Both are fast, and I haven't had many problems with software compatibility. So far, only one older blu ray/dvd player refuses to work in it.
Kerry56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #4

I do not like Windows 8. I don't like the used-to-be-called metro thing at all. I don't like the no glass look either. Just for these two things, I'm going back to Windows 7. I know a bunch of argumentative Win 8 types are thinking, well you can use hot keys, and hot corners, do this, or do that; well I don't care, I like my start menu and glass in Win 7. To me all the operating systems that Microsoft came up with in the past, had a certain look and feel that spoke to me. Most of them said sit right down and have fun and get some stuff done at the same time. The only exception being Vista. To me Vista was an abomination, (Windows Me was similar, to a little less extent). I tried it for a few months and hated it. Lots of different reasons why I hated it, (different reasons than the things I dislike about Win 8). I can't srand the way Win 8 wants me to use my PC like some kind of new hand held phone, that I have to use my finger to get around on. Even if I could use my finger for navigation, I would't care for all the prints and scratches on my new $400 plus monitor, and using my mouse in Win 8's used-to-be-called metro thing, is rather cumbersome; I know I can sub hot keys, corners etc., but I like my mouse dude. Yes Win 8 lovers can go on and on how I don't like change, but I do, I just don't like change in the wrong direction. I think Win 8 is going in a disastorus direction, similar but not quite the same as Vista. Kinda like a stage performance where a bunch of people stay and watch it, and even like it, but the majority of the audiance gets up and walks out.
starblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrageMester View Post
Not me.

At first I thought that replacing the Start Menu with screen-formerly-known-as-Metro was a terrible idea - they should have given people the choice.

But the more I think about it, the more it seems that something else is a far more terrible idea; Windows 8 "Metro" interface is an attempt to kill the "Windows" part of Windows, making applications that run in a window as opposed to full screen be considered legacy, deprecated and relegated to the Desktop application, while setting application development on a path towards (mostly) full-screen applications where you can only see one or two at a time.

This may be fine for a smart-phone, but it's a terrible way to go for productivity on a desktop/laptop computer.

This is not going forwards; this is going backwards!

The performance improvements cannot make up for productivity loss.

Also, I think it's a bad idea for Microsoft to make it potentially easier for (many of) their customers to be retrained on a Mac or Linux rather than be retrained on Windows 8.
The biggest problem I have had with Windows since Vista is this :
Windows is for the computer illiterate. Windows is for the people who don't know what the Control Panel or the Device Manager are.

Look at how convoluted it is to do simple things like reboot or shut down the computer in Windows 8. Probably because Microsoft assume that everyone will leave the power settings as they are & allow their PC's to sleep rather than actually turning them off.

This is why they continually try to shove crap like the Metro interface down everyone's throats.
staringatthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #6

I actually do like Windows 8. A lot. Except for the Metro desktop any way.
I installed Classic Shell and a registry file I found that adds a cascading power menu to the desktop.

I also added shortcuts to My Computer ,Control Panel & cmd on my desktop and I am A happy camper.

I do a lot of transcoding audio from one format to another & dbPowerAmp does it a lot faster under Windows 8.
I like the preview/details panbe you can add to the right hand side of the creen in explorer.

I also like the ribbon at the top of explorer windows with large cut ,copy ,paste delete ,rename ,new folder ,new item drop down menu ,properties ,open drop down menu ,& select all & select none radio buttons.

Another cool feature is the All Apps screen.
Right click on a blank area of the Metro screen and a bar slides up from the bottom of the screen. Click the All Apps button and all of your apps are shown on tiles in alphabetical order.
Right click on an app an a menu appears at the bottom that allows you to unpin it from the start menu ,pin it to the taskbar ,uninstall the app ,open in a new window ,run as administrator ,or open the file location.
staringatthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012   #7
MyCE Resident

After installing Start8, I've come to find this OS "usable". I think I like the fact that the new Windows Defender is the only anti-malware program you'll need (at least, in theory). 8 seems to load startup programs a little faster than 7 (although I havn't tested this with too many programs...yet).

I'm not going to lie... I can't stand having to lose metro, nor do I like the lack of customization available in Start8. However, we probably won't see much of the *real* improvements until Windows 7 is dropped (by then no one will care about 8, ironically).
TSJnachos117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #8
MyCE Member

I found a new problem, if your computer cant find the internet and you have a synchronizing login say xxxxx@hotmail.com Build 9200 wont even accept your password to access your PC on boot up. it just says computer is not online and ignores your password.
bernievink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #9
New on Forum

@TSJnachos, I'm interested to see if this is a feeling or that when you time it it actually is faster. When I buy new speakers I usually always think they sound better than the previous one, but never can prove it

@bernievink, that means that if Windows 8 is offline it's pretty useless if you use the cloud!?!!!
Old 10-10-2012   #10
Administrator, Software Editor and Head of Promotions

I love it, its faster and its much more user friendly. You have to get used to it, it called " Change ". If we didnt give other new things a chance we would still be using DOS.
My Computer specs are HERE Take a look New rig
Want to Know Your IP Address HERE

TELL A LIE ONCE AND ALL YOUR TRUTHS BECOME QUESTIONABLE
alan1476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #11
Senior Administrator

Changes are OK in my opinion but only if they improve things.

The new metro interface on desktop machines without touchscreen, the missing media center, missing start button are all negative in my opinion. There may be some improvements under the hood compared to W7, but they don't make up for what is missing now.

Unrequested PM about drive problems will not be answered!
Liggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #12
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liggy View Post
Changes are OK in my opinion but only if they improve things.
Agreed. Some changes are good and some changes are bad.

Moving away from a multi-window paradigm to a fullscreen paradigm is a change in the wrong direction, and Windows 8 seems to be heading in that direction, which is baaad for productivity on dekstop/laptop systems.
Old 10-10-2012   #13
MyCE Resident

There is the BS argument that "Most people didn't use the start menu anyway"

To which I reply, Most people don't use their spare tire or their lug wrench either, but that doesn't mean I want you to eliminate all provisions for them from my new vehicle.

Whatever neat features 8 has was there really a good reason to eliminate
the ability to run it like all previous operating systems (via the start menu and multiple windows)?

Just because there were some or even most, users who didn't use
some capabilities it that a reason to saddle even the advanced
users with what someone else here at MyCe called "A Fisher-Price
Operating system"?

MY Biggest issue with Windows8 is the insult to intelligence that it represents.
If you become annoyed with an electronic device and soothe the animal side of your nature by smashing it with a hammer some will say that you are ruled by that "animal side", However the Cerebral side that "holds the leash" of your animal side understands the basic reality that once smashed that annoying POS will never irritate you again.... it is only serendipity that you also rid yourself of some repressed rage in the process...
AllanDeGroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012   #14
Senior Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanDeGroot View Post
Just because there were some or even most, users who didn't use some capabilities
Microsoft only claim that nobody was using these functions, but then how would they know? Either they asked people (which I have not heard of), they evaluated what users did on their PC (i.e. Microsoft spying at us) or it's complete bullshit without any evidence.

Unrequested PM about drive problems will not be answered!
Liggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012   #15
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liggy View Post
Microsoft only claim that nobody was using these functions, but then how would they know? Either they asked people (which I have not heard of), they evaluated what users did on their PC (i.e. Microsoft spying at us) or it's complete bullshit without any evidence.
They are spying, they have somekind of automated feedback program:

http://wfp.microsoft.com/FAQ.aspx (Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program & Office Customer Experience Improvement Program )

Quote:
This sounds good, but I'm still concerned. Is this anything like the "spyware" I've heard about?
No, this is not spyware. You choose to participate in the Windows Feedback Program and you can easily withdraw from the Program at any time with no penalty whatsoever. Microsoft is committed to protecting customers' privacy and any information collected in the program will be kept confidential (see the Windows Feedback Program Privacy Statement). In addition, unlike spyware applications, we provide a clear way for you to uninstall the Windows Feedback Program software if you choose to withdraw from the Windows Feedback Program.
and...

Quote:
We do not intentionally collect sensitive information, such as the passwords on the user accounts or the contents of any of your personal files.
Old 11-10-2012   #16
Administrator & Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexHunt View Post

http://wfp.microsoft.com/FAQ.aspx (Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program & Office Customer Experience Improvement Program )
Even then I can't imagine not using the Start menu.

I have a few programs in the Quick Launch toolbar (or whatever they're calling it these days) I have other relatively well used programs pinned to the Start menu and I use the Start menu for everything else that I don't need to have immediately to hand.

It's a different story with Windows 8 as the Metro interface is there but I can't see anyone using a PC running Windows 7 or older without using the Start menu.

That just doesn't ring true to me.

Wombler
DVDFab/ImgBurn: Choosing the correct Layer Break Position in ImgBurn
DVDFab: BDMV-REC Supported Burners
Reviews: Ideal DVD Copy, Magic DVD Copier, DVDFab DVD Copy v9

Wombler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012   #17
CE Freak

I do believe Microsoft has shown one bit o' genius: the pricing. At least at this point. After the first of the year and it heads back to $100 level, we'll see.
ChristineBCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012   #18
MyCE Member

$40.00 for Professional with Media Center is quite cheap. I plan to buy it on day 1, even if I do not immediately install it. Actually will buy 2 versions, 1 32 bit and 1 g4 bit for my laptop and desktop respectively. I have been running win 8 on my laptop since the first preview and have found that the more you use the Start screen (Metro), the more things you find, and the more you get used to it. I really do not miss the start Menu anymore, since I have found that all of it's functionality exists on the Start screen. Yes, there is a learning curve, but once you get over the hurdle, it is fine. Also, it took me a while to get used to the IE 10 app, but I love it's full screen view - for casual browsing, it is quite an improvement once you learn how to get around it.
blegs38552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012   #19
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrageMester View Post
Not me.
Me neither.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012   #20
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexHunt View Post

and...
They are "spying" the rub is during installation of windows you have the opertunity to opt out of their spy programs.

So they only spy on people that don't care.

All of us "Advanced users" are also a bit paranoid so we DID "opt out"
and thus microsoft is basing their new OS on FALSE conclusions based on incomplete data.

AD
If you become annoyed with an electronic device and soothe the animal side of your nature by smashing it with a hammer some will say that you are ruled by that "animal side", However the Cerebral side that "holds the leash" of your animal side understands the basic reality that once smashed that annoying POS will never irritate you again.... it is only serendipity that you also rid yourself of some repressed rage in the process...
AllanDeGroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012   #21
Retired Moderator & Reviewer

Seems like I have read so many negative as well as pro Win8 articles that I had to put another system together and go for a longer run of the OS and find out for myself.

So, after a good three to four weeks of everyday use and getting all the desired tweaks setup I am finding less and less to complain about. Seems a tad faster than 7 and very stable. I did finally settle on Start8 and with a couple tweaks to bypass the log-on I am getting to the desktop in mere seconds.

All of the software I needed for reviewing components works nicely as well as every application I have accumulated for the past year or so.

Wasn't sure I cared for the Windows Defender the way MS has set it up without accessibility for the "Scan With" in the indexing with the right click option. However, once again, the geeks among us have provided a tutorial to fix this minor annoyance.

Would I recommend running out or going on line and ordering this newest offering from MS, Nope, I wouldn't unless you just have to have the latest and grea----, no I wont say that, but I will say it is a solid performer once you get your personal kinks with it worked out.
~KIPPER~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012   #22
MyCE Resident

I'm a die hard OS X user, but I must admit, except for Metro, I like Windows 8, a lot.

It's fast on older hardware. I've been testing it with an old Compaq SR1710NX (Sempron 3400+ 2.0 GHz), and it was quite snappy, even with the integrated ATI Xpress graphics and only 2GB of RAM. This is a machine from 2006(!), that's 6 years ago, and it can handle Windows 8 just fine. The same machine is extremely sluggish with Ubuntu. Windows has actually outdone Linux for speed on legacy hardware. Imagine that!

It works perfectly with my Apple Keyboard. I have several machines I switch between using a KVM, and on Windows 8, my Apple Keyboard is *fully* supported, including the volume buttons(!), and the Apple key works as the Windows key. It used to be a nightmare using an Apple keyboard in an OS X/Windows/Linux KVM setup, but not anymore. Yippee!

Except for the annoyance of no built-in start menu, for the most part, you can avoid Metro altogether and remain in the classic desktop environment. The tradeoff of tolerating that versus the under the hood enhancements it has over Windows 7, seem to make it worth it to me.
negritude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012   #23

I agree, its faster and more responsive, You have to learn to use the keyboard for faster access.

Old 27-10-2012   #24
CE Freak

Win8 still feels schizoid. So much TOUCH obviously, but requires so many keyboard shortcuts. I can't wait to see Win10 to see all of this merged more coherently. (I figure Win9 will be fixes and cosmetics to Metro, but Win10 should be a better melded solution.)

These are definitely more cumbersome to maintain, though.
ChristineBCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineBCW View Post
Win8 still feels schizoid. So much TOUCH obviously, but requires so many keyboard shortcuts. I can't wait to see Win10 to see all of this merged more coherently. (I figure Win9 will be fixes and cosmetics to Metro, but Win10 should be a better melded solution.)

These are definitely more cumbersome to maintain, though.
@ Christine , the keyboard shortcuts are the key to this Operating System, use them, get used to them, and then evaluate this OS again.