Old 25-08-2011   #1

What kind of disc should I use to burn for use with a PS2?

I was wondering, what kind of disc should I use with my PS2? I have a bunch of DVD+Rs, but no DVD-Rs. I tried a disc with DVD+R, but it took 2 minutes to load to the menu (normally 30 seconds, and the menu had no music), and when I selected New Game, it took 2 minutes to get to the first cutscene (normally a few seconds), and it was playing very slowly, and when I selected skip scene, it played a sound over and over, and I just turned it off (assuming it would take a long time to go again).

What kind of disc should I use (DVD+R, -R, +RW, -RW), can I use bitsetting on DVD+R, and how can I?

Also, what brand if discs, what speed to I buy them at, and what speed do I read them at?

This is for being able to play back-up games, I use Swap Magic, no mod chips.

Thanks for any help.

P.S. I have a 2 disc drives:

1. HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22LS50 ATA Device
2. TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222A ATA Device

Does that limit me in any way?
chessplayerjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: What kind of disc should I use to burn for use with a PS2?

Somehow i seem to remember that DVD-R's work better on PS2 machines. Just try a few.
Old 26-08-2011   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Belvedere View Post
Somehow i seem to remember that DVD-R's work better on PS2 machines. Just try a few.

Just bought some DVD-R's yesterday. Turns out, I burned the discs at the wrong speed on the DVD+R's, but that wasn't the problem. I used 2 DVD-R's and 2 DVD+R's, and the 2 DVD-R's worked just fine, as if it were the real thing, but the DVD+R's took a long time to load.
chessplayerjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011   #4
MyCE Resident

Re: What kind of disc should I use to burn for use with a PS2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessplayerjames View Post
Just bought some DVD-R's yesterday. Turns out, I burned the discs at the wrong speed on the DVD+R's, but that wasn't the problem. I used 2 DVD-R's and 2 DVD+R's, and the 2 DVD-R's worked just fine, as if it were the real thing, but the DVD+R's took a long time to load.
So stick to DVD-R i guess