Old 05-02-2006   #1
New on Forum

VHS to DVD transfers not playing on PC DVD players

I just did a search for this and was unable to find anything, so I'm hoping this has not been previously covered. If it has, I apologize. For whatever reason, when I transfer VHS tapes to DVD with my Panasonic recorder and attempt to play them back, I can play them without a problem on standalone DVD players, but I am unable to play them on computer DVD players, at least not past the first 5 or 10 minutes. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

I am using Verbatim DVD-R media, but have tried other brands and I am experiencing the same issue. The discs are not only not playing on my PC, but on two other PCs as well. When playing the disc, it only shows approximately 300 MB on the disc, but goes blank after 5-10 minutes and shows the remaining time on the disc, but not the data. I believe something about the way my recorder organizes the files on the disc seems to confuse PC DVD drives.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #2
Retired Moderator

Re: VHS to DVD transfers not playing on PC DVD players

Try using DVDDecryptor or DVDShrink to rip the DVD to your hard drive in file mode, then play it from there.
rdgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006   #3
New on Forum

I have had the same thing happen to me,tried to watch a movie on pc at work and would only play like the first 4 chapters then it returned to the menu, have you found a better dvd player or what not to let you watch on a pc?
diablo_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #4
New on Forum

Hey guy , I was having the same problem and after talking to customer no service at pansonic started looking hard at the disks, I had some that would work all the way and some that wouldn't and made a discovery the ones that would play on the pc werent burned all the way to the end of the disk. the ones that didn't play were recorded in flex or very close to recording to the very end of the disk, try recording in lower quality or stoping the recording when its over and dont let it go to the end and see it that works.
diablo_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008   #5

Anybody ever made it? I'm having the same problem here, it's like there's nothing on the DVDs but I can see that is has been burned, like 500 Mb or something, but when I put the disc in my computer, it only sees an empty disc, when I try to copy it, it does a 2 Kb file! I tried to read the DVDs in my PS3 and I have nothing on screen... But the lady who asked my to copy the DVDs (burned from a VHD to DVD combo) says they play fine in the DVD recorder... Is there any way to transfert the movies back to a computer and re-encode them to a regular DVD format? Please help!
Ulyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008   #6

I found the answer by myself! I used Nero to close the session, with the "Disc Info" utility. Thanks anyway!
Old 27-11-2010   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyss View Post
I found the answer by myself! I used Nero to close the session, with the "Disc Info" utility. Thanks anyway!
Ulyss could you help me please and kind of walk me thru this. I have 3 DVD's (I burned from VHS to DVD on a VHD/DVD player/burner machine) of my family, and some of them have passed, so these movies are really precious to me.
Like yours they won't play on XBOX, PS3, portable DVD player, or any computer. What do i do with them to make them complete and play, so I can see my dads face again
Thank you!
Tammy
[E-mail edited out]

Last edited by Seán; 28-11-2010 at 00:26. Reason: E-mail address removed to prevent spam-bots collecting it
tlcqt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010   #8
MyCE Resident

If you still have access to the VHS/DVD recorder check to see if the DVD's have been "Finalized" sometimes called "closed" .
This is only if the discs are DVD -R or -RW.
ImgBurn can close sometimes if the unit is no long available.
Can you viewthe files & folders on the DVD in your computer ?
If you can what are they ?
Old 28-11-2010   #9
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholla View Post
This is only if the discs are DVD -R or -RW.
Or +R. +RW does not need to be closed.
afecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcqt17 View Post
Ulyss could you help me please and kind of walk me thru this. I have 3 DVD's (I burned from VHS to DVD on a VHD/DVD player/burner machine) of my family, and some of them have passed, so these movies are really precious to me.
Like yours they won't play on XBOX, PS3, portable DVD player, or any computer. What do i do with them to make them complete and play, so I can see my dads face again
Thank you!
Tammy
[E-mail edited out]
Well, it's been awhile, but like I said, I did it with Nero Burning Rom. I guess it all depends what media you're using (DVD-R or DVD+R). To close the session, I remember I used Nero Burning Rom (version 7 or 8 I guess), not Express or Start Smart. From there, I think I went through the menus with the disc in my burner and chose "Burn" or "Burner" (sorry, my version is french)... and then Disc Info (try CRTL-I) and if my memory is good, I could close the disc from there.... if not, try different menus, it's not too hard to find, or try with ImgBurn like cholla said.
Old 29-11-2010   #11
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyss View Post
But the lady who asked my to copy the DVDs (burned from a VHD to DVD combo) says they play fine in the DVD recorder.
Ulyss, does she still have the DVD recorder? If the DVDs need to be finalized, the easiest way by far to do it is in the recorder that originally recorded them. If she doesn't know how, see if you can get the model number of the unit and someone will probably know about it.

I've also seen recommendations for a program called "isobuster". I don't think the "close" function in imgburn or Nero addresses your situation.

P.S. I should add that if the DVD recorder is having any problems at all recording, then don't risk these disks in it... go with plan b...

Last edited by afecu; 29-11-2010 at 22:21. Reason: add P.S.
afecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010   #12
MyCE Member

Some problems could be caused by the recorder format. Some recorders write in VR format which requires special software for PCs to play.
tubebar is offline   Reply With Quote