Old 10-06-2008   #26
MyCE Member

Re: U61 Error with Panasonic DVD Recorders-Fixable?

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
All was fine until I pushed eject, the drive made a grinding noise followed by a u61.
Do you had full control of any other functions before U61appeared?
Regards,
AlKwas
AlKwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008   #27
MyCE Member

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post
the U61 error on this machine is prompted by the failure of the electrolytic capacitor in the power supply resulting in a general operational failure of the machine.
Do You check up the internal voltages (power supply output) in defective units?
regards,
AlKwas
Old 10-06-2008   #28
MyCE Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKwas View Post
Hi,

Do You check up the internal voltages (power supply output) in defective units?
regards,
AlKwas
I should mention that the earlier poster reported that his machine would "hang" on "Please Wait." A U61 error was not mentioned. Here is that post:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f106/dmr-e8...6/#post1895119

I havn't checked voltages on the parts machine with the U61 error. That is beyond my level of expertese.
DigaDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008   #29
New on Forum

My EZ27 gives me a U61 Error ...but ONLY when recording on non-rewritable media!

Now, this is a bizarre errror.

My DMR-EZ27 was recording just fine on DVD+R media (16x speed) up until yesterday when I got an "Err" then a U61 error, and the usual shutdown routine that does absolutely squat.

I was also getting READ-ONLY errors on DVD-RAM when I tried to record on it, or delete a recording, or formatting!

Basically, it would not record on anything, but it played commercial DVD's just fine.

I suspect that this model is VERY sensitive to vibrations because the problems developed after I was trying to tighten the shelf it was sitting on.

I did a HARD RESET several times, and now it is able to record on DVD-RAM and DVD+RW, but I'm still getting U61 errors with DVD+R.

This unit is supposed to be able to write on dual-layer media, so I don't think it is because of the disk media & speed...although DVD-R WAS the native format of previous Pannys.

Tomorrow, I'll try throwing a 4x DVD-R at it and see if I still get the U62 error.

I suspect that I will.

BTW, my RCA-8000N records the 16x DVD+R's just fine (and +R's & +RW's are the sole format on which it can record).

Seeing as how I can record on rewriteable, but not on read-only disks, I would not think that a power-leak is the problem.

Structurally, what's the difference between a +R and a +RW?

Any ideas?
Dr-RJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008   #30
New on Forum

UPDATE

I'm now able to record on a TDK DVD-R now.

Tonight, I'll try a TDK DVD+R

If that works, well, then I guess it went back to the way it was before the errors.
Old 12-06-2008   #31
New on Forum

Well, it still will not write on DVD+R.

So, I guess I stick to DVD-R's.

Multi-drive? NOT.
Old 14-06-2008   #32
MyCE Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlKwas View Post
Hi,

Do you had full control of any other functions before U61appeared?
Regards,
AlKwas
Everything was fine until I put the optical drive together wrong. After power up, the machine came up with u61 and nothing could be done with the machine. After disassemble and reassemble of the drive (correctly this time) the u61 went away and all has been fine, actually better than before after my cleaning the spindle.
jjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #33
New on Forum

U61 Error with Panasonic DVD Recorders SC-RT70
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Panasonic DVD Recorder

I've had no problems until yesterday when this began :

Every time the unit is turned on I see "Hello" on the display screen, shortly followed by "U61".

The operating instructions say "U61: The unit detected an error while recording or playing with no disc in the disc tray. the unit is carrying out a it recovery process. the unit is not brocken. Wait until the message disappears."

"Self check failed. Press ENTER, then the unit will open the tray and power off automatically. If this message appears frequently, please refer to the Product Service section in the operating instructions."

I've tried unplugging the recorder and after several minutes replugging - doesn't help.

Has anyone owning this or similar model had this trouble? Is it fixable? is this a software problem?

One year and two months is a very short lifetime for a DVD recorder that has been only lightly used, and never abused
dave headley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009   #34
MyCE Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave headley View Post
U61 Error with Panasonic DVD Recorders SC-RT70
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Panasonic DVD Recorder

Every time the unit is turned on I see "Hello" on the display screen, shortly followed by "U61".

The operating instructions say "U61: The unit detected an error while recording or playing with no disc in the disc tray. the unit is carrying out a it recovery process. the unit is not brocken. Wait until the message disappears."

"Self check failed. Press ENTER, then the unit will open the tray and power off automatically. If this message appears frequently, please refer to the Product Service section in the operating instructions."

I've tried unplugging the recorder and after several minutes replugging - doesn't help.

Has anyone owning this or similar model had this trouble? Is it fixable? is this a software problem?

One year and two months is a very short lifetime for a DVD recorder that has been only lightly used, and never abused
U61 errors have been discussed from time to time in this and other forums. Here is a recent discussion thread at AVS:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1006656

It is my view that the U61 error is most often related to a problem with the Digital PCB.

Here are some of my observations:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15088527

Here are more observations and findings:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post15092330
Old 19-04-2009   #35
MyCE Member

Hi,
I have DMR-EH55 unit with the strange kind of U61 error. The recorder works fine (except tv-sound - maybe it's a problem with local tv-standard). From time to time U61 error occurs and the unit is unusable. The restart procedure doesn't take effect. After some days it works fine again.
The U61 error is not connected with read/write operation on DVD media. The drive read and write perfectly (when the unit works). There is no evidence of capacitor leakage.
I suppose it's a thermal problem. Now I'm testing the unit without the cover. What do you think about?
AK
Old 11-08-2009   #36
New on Forum

I'll just relate my U61 experience. Mine occurred with a DVDr in the drive, seemingly belying the theory that U61 is the same malfunction as U88, but without media in the drive.

I tried leaving the unit (EZ27) on to see if the problem would eventually resolve, as the message window suggests, but I came back some 6 hrs later only to see the unit still cycling through the "Hello > U61>Bye" loop.

I called Panasonic, who would neither inform me of the meaning of U61, or even help me to get the dvd out of the drive. They simply instructed me to send the unit in, while insinuating that I should just purchase another machine.

After three days I came to this site, where within minutes I learned how to get the DVD out of the drive. Once I had done this, I powered up the unit. My heart sank as it once again cycled through the U61 message, then low and behold, it came up with the message "no disc". I knew immediately that my problem was solved.

I don't know about the failed capacitor theory, but I don't think capacitors repair themselves, so I doubt this is the issue. I can say that there was a power outage around the time that I was recording. And although I can't say positively that this outage occurred during the recording, the theory that power failure during recording leads to the U61 error is the best guess for what happened to me.

My U61 error occurred during a heat wave here in CA, so that lends some credence to the thermal theory. However, I would suppose that once the unit cools - a matter of minutes- it should reset and begin normal function again. This was not the case with me.

Hope this helps.
Beckmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009   #37
MyCE Senior Member

Here are pages 13 and 14 of the DMR-EZ17 Service Manual:
Attached Images

Last edited by DigaDo; 11-08-2009 at 02:41.
Old 08-02-2010   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by formergi View Post
My Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-ES15 is two months beyond the one year warranty period.

The operating instructions say "U61: There was a power failure or the AC plug was disconnected while the unit was on. The unit is carrying out its recovery process. This process restores the unit to normal operation. The unit is not broken. Wait until the message disappears."

But in my case, after a brief period of "sound blips" I get this message on the TV screen :

The Panasonic web site says that to get approved Panasonic service I would need to go 177 miles to Chicago (I live in Indianapolis).

Has anyone owning this or similar model had this trouble? Is it fixable?

One year and two months is a very short lifetime for a DVD recorder that has been only lightly used, and never abused.
Hi!

I'd like to know how did you fix this U61 issue with your Panasonic recorder.
I am facing the same problem and see no answer in any forum.
Can you please help me?

Thank you in advance,
Mario
renor2000 is offline   Reply With Quote