Old 04-03-2007   #1
New on Forum

Recording movies from DVR to Personal computer

I am very new, first post, and I would like to use my personal computer to increasing the storage of my DVR which I obtained from my cable company. My DVR has a network cable plug on the back of it and if I run a network cable from the DVR to my personal computer, can I transfer from the DVR or record directly to my personal computer?

Does it require special software?

If this is not the appropriate place for such a question, can you direct me to another site?

Thank you,

Jim
Jim Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007   #2
Senior Moderator & Editor

Re: Recording movies from DVR to Personal computer

Welcome to the forum

It would help if you could tell us what the make/model of the DVR is, and what cable company you subscribe to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you are new to the internet, have a query about digital storage, or would maybe like to tell us a bit about yourself: just register with us
and try either the Newbie forum or the MyCE Living Room. Alternatively, if you fancy some chit-chat (without technical help),
then you're welcome to use the Chatbox to have a natter to other experienced members and staff.

So what are you waiting for? Click the smiley to join -->
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
imkidd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007   #3
New on Forum

The DVR is a Motorola Dual Tuner, HDTV Capable and has Interactive Digital Communications written on the front of it. On the bottom is written Model # DCT-RSA8888 and GI 142ITC0404. I am using Cox Communications as a cable provider.

Thanks Again, Jim
Jim Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007   #4
Senior Moderator & Editor

Thanks - I'll transfer this to the 'Satellite, HD-TV, Blu-ray and HD-DVD Forum' since there's a better change that someone in your part of the world will be able to help. Questions about extracting recordings from DVR/PVRs are often answered there...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you are new to the internet, have a query about digital storage, or would maybe like to tell us a bit about yourself: just register with us
and try either the Newbie forum or the MyCE Living Room. Alternatively, if you fancy some chit-chat (without technical help),
then you're welcome to use the Chatbox to have a natter to other experienced members and staff.

So what are you waiting for? Click the smiley to join -->
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
imkidd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007   #5
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cob
I am very new, first post, and I would like to use my personal computer to increasing the storage of my DVR which I obtained from my cable company. My DVR has a network cable plug on the back of it and if I run a network cable from the DVR to my personal computer, can I transfer from the DVR or record directly to my personal computer?

If this is not the appropriate place for such a question, can you direct me to another site?

Thank you,

Jim
I doubt it, espcecially for HDTV content.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007   #6
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cob
The DVR is a Motorola Dual Tuner, HDTV Capable and has Interactive Digital Communications written on the front of it. On the bottom is written Model # DCT-RSA8888 and GI 142ITC0404. I am using Cox Communications as a cable provider.

Thanks Again, Jim
You'll have to contact Cox about this. Most of these type boxes do not have the ethernet ports enabled. If they do enable it, it will be only for the purpose of streaming web content or PC media files on your TV.

If you search through Yahoo groups, you may find some folks who know how to get the files off of your particular DVR.
CDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cob View Post

Thank you,

Jim
you can do this for about 50ish dollars for SD
step 1check if your cable box has av compsite out
step 2 buy a dazzle: link: http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...order+Plus.htm
step 3 buy av cables
hook up av cables to dazzle to video output on box and connect it to computer and record!!!
polarstorm83 is offline   Reply With Quote