Old 27-09-2009   #1
New on Forum

My Modded Classic Xbox Is Not Working...

Please help me, i have a modded xbox classic, it was working fine, and now will not go to the main screen, it only boots up to the screen where it has the big X and says microsoft underneath. it was not modded using a chip, yet is still a soft mod i believe. it was modded by a friend of mine, who has moved away... plz help me to fix it!!!
rdlcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009   #2
NBR
MyCE Resident

Re: My Modded Classic Xbox Is Not Working...

well if you cant do anything... about the only option i can think of is to use XBoxHDM and hope you can gain access to the hard drive in the XBox1 console.

if you can you can probably re-transfer the dashboard back onto it and then use nDure to re-softmod the xbox and put XBMC etc back onto it.

p.s. XBoxHDM is a program that runs from a bootable CD on your PC and with some hotswapping the IDE cable (because you have to remove the IDE cable from the back of the XBox1 hard drive while the power it on at a certain point and connect your PC's IDE cable to it etc) you can gain access to the system to mod it and fix possible issues etc etc... i used this to softmod 2 of the 3 consoles i have. my primary console has a modchip in it but the other 2 i have are softmoded with XBoxHDM using the hotswap stuff.

if you want to try this. ill explain more of it to you but it's not super easy to do but it's not to hard either. but as of now ill just leave it at this since odds are you won't be back to these forums since it was your first post and it was 2 days ago. lol

WARNING: hotswapping can potentially damage your PC and/or the XBox! but i use a old PC of mine to do it and i never had any issues and i did it many times.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009   #3
New on Forum

thank you so so much... if you have detailed instructions on how to do that, let me know all ill need to get and the 'how to' instructions... this wont erase my save data or anything else on the hard drive such as emulators, any d/l games etc...?
Old 01-10-2009   #4
NBR
MyCE Resident

well i am fairly sure your saved game stuff is fine since it's located on the E partition in the UDATA and TDATA folders on the XBox1 hard drive (that's typically where all your saved game stuff goes) and as far as emulators etc they might be located in E:\Emulators folder but it could vary.... but if you still have a copy of the emulators on your PC you can always re-transfer them back into the XBox1 console in case we have to wipe everything out.... it's just a shame i don't think there is any way with the XBoxHDM boot cd to transfer the UDATA and TDATA folders to the PC itself because then we would have a insurance plan against losing your saved game files with the emulator etc.

also if you system is softmoded with a stock hard drive that means you got about 4.5-4.7GB (or so) of space on your E partition ... so odds are all your save games and game saves are on this part... to bad we cant backup the data first to make sure but there aint much we can do with the XBoxHDM boot cd since it just allows access to the CD and the XBox1's Hard drive.

so as far as keeping the data i am a little hazy here since the softmod might be located on the E partition somewhat but i think for the most part it changes data on the C partition but i aint 100percent sure because when i did my softmods i typically erase everything and start from scratch.

as far as getting all the files and making it etc etc... it might take a while so i am compressing the entire ISO file i premade and seeing if it's small enough to send you.

p.s. the basic idea of the softmod process... you have to crack open the XBox1 case, disconnect the IDE cable from the back of the xbox's dvd-rom drive then power on the console, it will go to a error screen... then you can load up the XBoxHDM CD on the PC itself and it boots to it's main screen to a prompt i believe (it's been a while since i did this) then you got a limited time frame (before the XBoxHDM boot cd proceeds) to then disconnect the IDE cable from the XBox1's hard drive and plug in the PC's IDE cable to the XBox1's hard drive.... if you do this properly it should gain you read/write access to the XBox1's hard drive to attempt fixing it.

it's not super easy to do but it's not all that hard either ones you know what to do... once your at it's menu you can use it's file manager (you have to navigate it with the keyboard) to transfer files from the right side of the program (i.e. the files on the XBoxHDM cd) to the left side (which should be the XBox1's hard drive data etc).
Old 01-10-2009   #5
NBR
MyCE Resident

well i compressed the .ISO file with 7-zip format and it shrank it to around 105MB or so but i would still have to upload the file to a place so you could get it sometime.

but i guess ill just leave it like this for now until you figure out what you want to do.

because you can download the programs online yourself and make it but the file i got would make it easier since it's pre-made already with all the stuff you need to mod the xbox1 etc.... i also have the original dashboard files on it which is what you would have to restore since odds are we are going to wipe out the C partition (i.e. delete all data on it) and then restore it from the XBoxHDM disc (which is the ISO file i am talking about) THEN install the ndure exploit (which makes your XBox1 do all the fancy stuff like play emulators etc etc)

after the 'nDure v3.1' thing is installed you will have UnleashX as your default dashboard and you can transfer files to and from the xbox1 with a router through FTP with a program on your PC like FileZilla etc.

but what i usually do is manually replace the UnleashX dashboard with XBMC (XBox Media Center) , which you can download here... http://tinyurl.com/ydy3nov (this is the latest STABLE build of XBMC (XBox Media Center) ) (THIS IS OPTIONAL, NOT REQUIRED. BUT I WOULD RECOMMEND IT. but it mostly depends on what you use your xbox1 for, if it's mainly emulators etc then the default UnleashX will probably be good enough for you. but me personally my primary use for my XBox1 is XviD (.avi) playback in which case XBMC is a must.)

with XBox Media Center you can pretty much make your xbox do just about everything from emulators/xbox games/video playback (i.e. XviD etc) etc etc

just let me know what you want to do
Old 01-10-2009   #6
New on Forum

yea all that sounds good to me... i really dont care bout erasing my stuff now, its not like i cant play it again... but rite now, the xbox has i believe an 80 gig hdd, so its not the standard hdd, which helps out. but yea as far as the files go, if you could send them in an email, that'd be great. one more question, is there step by step instructions, or can i get them off the net?
Old 01-10-2009   #7
New on Forum

Would This Work? it even has files that i can download

HOW TO: Hotswap with XboxHDM v1.9

Just clarifying the situation. This is causing a lot of headaches so I'll make it as clear as possible...

This method will allow you to rebuild your Xbox HDD WITHOUT having your eeprom.

It can fix all software issues, including Error 16!

Ok, what do we need

* Xbox
* Torx 20 screwdriver
* CD Burner\Writer
* Xboxhdm v1.9
* Clean 5960 Dash files

All needed files can be found here...

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/557450#3371151

Making the XboxHDM Disc

* Unpack Xboxhdm v1.9 to your HDD. It should look like this...

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.

* Open the 'linux' Folder.
Download and insert the new Dash files (Link is above) into the 'C' folder.
Within the 'E' folder, make two new folders and call them 'TDATA' + 'UDATA'. Both these folders are empty.

Your folders should now look like this...

'linux' Folder

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

'C' Folder

Embedded Images

'E' Folder

Embedded Images

* If all is in place, navigate back to the original 'xboxhdm' folder and click on 'make-iso-win.bat'

Embedded Images

* A DOS box will appear and make the 'linux.iso' file

Embedded Images

Embedded Images

* We now need to burn the 'linux.iso' file. We'll use Nero as our example.

*Open Nero and select 'CD' from the top right and then 'Burn Image To Disc'.

Embedded Images

* Click the drop down menu for 'File Of Type' and select 'Image Files'. Our file will appear (assuming you are in the correct directory), select it and click 'Open'

Embedded Images

* Burn the image as usual to CD.

Hotswapping...

* Shutdown your PC, unplug the computers HDDs, leaving only the CD-Rom connected. The CD-Rom should be on the 'Secondary cable' (The other cable).

* Power on the computer with the CD we created in the drive. If your BIOS is setup to boot from a CD, you should be greeted with this screen.

Embedded Images

**NOTE** Should you have any issues with your HDD not being detected at a later stage, Turn off your PC, turn it back on and press the 'Pause|Break' key prior to the BIOS auto detecting HDDs. Perform the hotswap at this point, then continue the boot.

* Open your Xbox with the Torx Screwdrivers

HOW TO: Open your Xbox
http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/crack_open_that_xbox.htm

* With the Xbox now open, unplug the Xboxs DVD drive IDE cable

Embedded Images

* Power on the console and you should get an Error 12 on your screen

Embedded Images

* Do not power the console off, unplug the Xbox HDD IDE cable and insert the one from the PC. Your Xbox HDD and your PC CD\DVD Drive should now be connected to your PC, nothing else.

Embedded Images

Embedded Images

* Wait a minute to allow the HDD to be recognised. DO NOT TURN OFF THE XBOX!

* Back at this screen...

Embedded Images

* Press "1" and then Type 'xboxhd'

Embedded Images

* We then want to press "1" again 'Build a new HD from scratch'

Embedded Images

* Just keep typing yes...

Embedded Images

* When it's finished, unplug the IDE cable from the PC and re-insert both Xbox cables (DVD & HDD)

* Power off Xbox

* That's it, you should now have a fully restored original Xbox.

Feel free to use my other guides to start modding again!!!

**NOTE**

Please backup your eeprom, this will avoid further hassle in the future.
Old 01-10-2009   #8
NBR
MyCE Resident

that's pretty much what i do but i use 'xbrowser' myself to manually delete the C partition files and then navigate to the C folder (on the XBoxHDM CD) (which you should copied the MSDash 5960 to this folder prior to making the ISO file) and then copy the files from there back to C.

i also copied the 'nDure v3.1' exploit onto that disc before burning to so you can just get it all setup with the softmod etc right from the XBoxHDM CD... then you load the ndure thing (which i believe can be accessed from the xbrowser stuff, you then follow the on screen instructions etc )

but since you said you got a 80GB hard drive in your softmoded XBox... odds are you got a F partition which is most likely where you games are... so this will be untouched if you don't rebuild it all from scratch and just mess with the C and (possibly) E partitions.

WARNING: whatever you do, DO NOT 'unlock' the hard drive with that XBoxHDM program because if you do and you don't have a backup copy of the EEPROM file (which you can do after you make get the softmod with Evox (Evox's BACKUP option) or UnleashX etc) your pretty much screwed!!! (so stay away from unlocking/locking related stuff for now)
Old 02-10-2009   #9
New on Forum

new question, using an xbox memory card in the controller, how do i get the files off the computer onto the memory card for the mod... i am so confused?
Old 02-10-2009   #10
NBR
MyCE Resident

well you can completely mod the system from that XBoxHDM v1.9 disc you make as long as you copy the 'nDure v3.1' files to the disc before burning it. (nDure is made to work with XBoxHDM.. it comes with a PDF file that basically tells you how to set it up with XBoxHDM. if you want i can upload it or get it from #xbins (which i am guessing you aint familiar with))

no need to use memory card or anything to mod it when your using XBoxHDM... this is how i softmoded 2 of my systems as it's 100percent free this way otherwise you need memory card etc etc.

also... the timing can be slightly tricky as sometimes you dont get access to the XBox1 HDD from my experience using it... but most of the time it's fine but the key is connecting the IDE cable from PC side into the back of the XBox's hard drive BEFORE you load past this picture here...
Embedded Images

so once you see this screen is when i quickly connect the IDE cable, THEN proceed (with 'xbrowser' etc)... because the XBoxHDM will automatically load to another screen after a certain time point if you just let it sit on that screen.

and also, if you don't get access to the XBox1 hard drive... like it's erroring etc.. redo the process from scratch with power off the XBox1 and just leave the IDE cable disconnected from the XBox1's DVD-ROM drive then power on XBox1 and proceed as usual (also reboot the PC so it reloads the XBoxHDM program to)

p.s. the nDure v3.1 file is about 16.5MB in size.

and basically... once you use XBoxHDM to fix the xbox and use nDure v3.1 on it... and after that's done. you power off the system reconnect all the cables like normal and once you power up the xbox it's already moded and ready to use with UnleashX (i believe) as the dashboard... but like i say i change the dashboard back to XBMC which they don't tell you how to do but i already know how because once you learn the location of the main .xbe file it boots you can just use a shortcut .xbe (name it the same as the system boots by default) then the shortcut will redirect to loading a .xbe file of your choosing... so you could have XBMC on your E partition if you want etc etc... but i won't explain to much here since all you need to be concerned with at this point is the XBoxHDM and nDure v3.1 process.

Last edited by NBR; 02-10-2009 at 02:01.
Old 02-10-2009   #11
NBR
MyCE Resident

also here is the MSdash 5960 (according to that link you linked me to in your post above) ... http://rapidshare.com/files/14478719/ms-dash-mik3h.rar ... strongly recommend putting this on the XBoxHDM disc before burning to in the proper location.

because this is the files you have to restore to the C partition in order to fix it most likely with the 'xbrowser' that i was talking about.

so basically delete the C files (all of it) with xbrowser, then restore the 5960 dashboard, then load up the ndure exploit from the XBoxHDM disc (which i believe you can select using xbrowser etc) which installs the softmod to the system. then reassemble the system and see if it boots up to where you can use it again (which it will if done properly )

and like i said above... when you click ndure it asks you some questions but it's somewhat straight forward. so i don't think you will have to much problem sorting it out.

also when i was saying in my above post about 'xboxhdm erroring' ... it will either work perfectly fine as far as transfers or wont be able to transfer anything at all.. there should be no in between from my experience with the program... you will be able to know right away if it's working because if you can delete files from the XBox's C drive etc (with xbrowser) then you got read/write access to the XBox1's hard drive... if it errors (it just wont do anything to the Xbox1 hard drive) you have to try again like i mentioned.

also.. i think this file should be the 'nDure v3.1' i talked about ... http://www.filestube.com/94b67b1d646...a/details.html (i just searched google for 'ndure v3.1 download') as that looks like the right file size as i checked mine and it appears pretty much the same. (if this dont work i might be able to send you my copy as i got mine directly from xbins which is generally the official source for most of the XBox1/XBox360 moding programs/tools etc)
Old 02-10-2009   #12
New on Forum

thanks so much. i will try this, and let you know how it goes.