Old 19-02-2010   #1
MyCE Senior Member

Low definition to high definition.

Is it possible to convert a video original from low definition to high definition?

for example i recorded a movie using my phone, is it possible to convert that video to 1080p?

if so, how can i do that?
OwaziO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010   #2
Senior Moderator, Editor and Guru

re: Low definition to high definition.

The conversion is possible, but result will be ugly. There is too much difference between a cellphone resolution and a full HD resolution.

Some people refers that also converting a standard DVD into a fullHD resolution gives ugly results.

I never tried such a thing, but I think that AviDemux can do the work
User guide for ImgBurn in BUILD mode English version - Italian version

Please do not ask questions via PM. Post in the forum instead. Thanks
Per favore, non chiedete consigli o suggerimenti tramite PM. Usate invece il forum (che serve proprio per questo).
KTPHTT
geno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010   #3
MyCE Senior Member

Interesting! as i though, but how is possible for old movies in the 70s available in full HD nowadays, that is strange, is this special kind of conversion that requires high quality work in studios.
OwaziO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010   #4
Senior Moderator

Studios have big budgets and can afford to fix each frame individually if need be. Also, even though the movies might be from the 70s (or earlier), the source is generally film, which has a very high resolution.

It's been at least 2 years, 5 months, 6 days, 11 hours, 52 minutes and 35 36 37 seconds since I had a sig...
(but who's counting?)
olyteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010   #5
Senior Moderator

Re: Low definition to high definition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozee33 View Post
Interesting! as i though, but how is possible for old movies in the 70s available in full HD nowadays, that is strange, is this special kind of conversion that requires high quality work in studios.

Corrected the mistake.

They start with original 35mm prints which is usually a higher quality source. They scanned it frame by frame at 4k x 4k resolution, then they hand visited every frame to paint out scratches and marks. They rebalanced and grade the footage and finally re-size it down to 1080p resolution and encoded it for Bluray.

Here is an example,

Link: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/fea...ting-edge.html

Some more reading for ya

How many pixels are there in a frame of 35mm film?

Link: http://pic.templetons.com/brad/photo/pixels.html

Three simple rules:

1. Never Change the Deal
2. No Names.
3. Never Open the Package.

platinumsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010   #6
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozee33 View Post
Is it possible to convert a video original from low definition to high definition?

for example i recorded a movie using my phone, is it possible to convert that video to 1080p?
As geno888 stated, it is possible but the results will almost certainly come out fugly. And even if the phone's camcorder can capture full SD resolution of 720x480, the imaging sensors are simply not of high enough quality to produce videos suitable for viewing on a large screen -- the images will almost always come out noisy.

Even transfers from video originals on standard VHS tape to HD can turn out fugly due to standard VHS's low effective horizontal resolution of 240 to 250 TV lines per picture height. (Compare this to analog NTSC broadcast's effective horizontal resolution of 320 to 330 TV lines per picture height, S-VHS/Hi8's 400 to 420 TV lines per picture height and Hollywood-mastered 1.33:1 DVD's approximately 500 TV lines per picture height.) Converted to absolute digital pixels, this corresponds to 320x480, 440x480, 560x480 and 720x480, respectively, for these "standard-definition" video formats. For PAL, 576 lines are used for the vertical resolution.

And when '70s originals get transferred to HD, they do not use the already existing standard-definition broadcast prints (unless such copies are the only ones extant) -- but instead, they go back to the original film source, which is usually of even higher resolution than full HD video. A few '70s shows were shot directly to videotape; therefore, they are ill-suited for direct transfer to HD.
16GB of DDR3 1600 @ 1333 (in dual-channel)
GeForce GTX 470
-LG BH08LS20 BD-RE SATA [Dec. 2008]
2TB WD Black (Boot drive)
2 x 1TB SATA Samsung F3 (RAID 0, for video editing work files)
2 x 1TB Seagate 7200.12 (RAID 0, for encoded video output)
750W Antec TruePower New Blue

Last edited by RJL65; 20-02-2010 at 05:25.
RJL65 is offline   Reply With Quote