Old 24-06-2006   #1
New on Forum

LG-RC7723W DVD recorder/VCR combi unit- can't play recorded DVDs on other machines

Hi,

I have a problem with the LG-RC7723W DVD/VCR recorder. So far I can view DVD recordings on the machine only. I haven't been able to play DVDs recorded by the machine on either my other DVD player nor my computer. On the computer, the disc shows up as a blank disc! I've tried different computers that have different DVD-ROM drives and get the same problem. I've tried recording DVDs in both VR and non-VR format and finalising the DVD. Have also entered the region-free code for the machine.

thanks
Raymond
kowolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006   #2
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

Re: LG-RC7723W DVD recorder/VCR combi unit- can't play recorded DVDs on other machines

Welcome to the CD Freaks forum

For DVD-R/RW discs, make sure you record in the non VR mode as most DVD players and DVD playback software will not play back DVD-R/RW discs recorded in -VR. However, if you are recording to DVD+R/RW discs, while the non VR mode gives improved compatibility, most DVD recorders are capable of playing back DVD+R/RW VR discs.

I can confirm that you need to finalise DVD-R and DVD+R recorded discs before they will be recognised by any other player or in a PC. If the disc is not finalised, there is no lead-in track for DVD players to read and PC drives often see these as a blank disc or a disc with unrecognisable session.

First, try finalising you discs to see what the PC recognises them as. The finalisation process usually takes a few minutes to carry out, but just be warned that once you finalise a disc, it is not possible to add further recordings to it. Finalised rewritable discs can be erased to make available for recording again. If your finalised discs still come up as blank, then there is something wrong with the way the DVD recorder finalises the disc. Just to rule out a particular brand and format, try recording on a DVD+R if you have been using DVD-R up to now and of a different brand.
Seán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006   #3
New on Forum

Re: LG-RC7723W DVD recorder/VCR combi unit- can't play recorded DVDs on other machine

Thanks Sean,

I had since figured out that DVD+R and DVD-R needed to be finalised. I initially thought that not finalising was just the same as leaving the disc open for multisession as is normally the case on PCs when you don't finalise.

I have also gotten a DVD-RW VR disc to play on my computer after it had been finalised. It still wouldn't play on other DVD players though. You can also unfinalise DVD-RW VR discs which could be handy. Also are you sure about recording DVD+RW discs in VR format? As far I know it's not possible to do.

thanks
Raymond
Old 29-06-2006   #4
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

Re: LG-RC7723W DVD recorder/VCR combi unit- can't play recorded DVDs on other machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowolski
I had since figured out that DVD+R and DVD-R needed to be finalised. I initially thought that not finalising was just the same as leaving the disc open for multisession as is normally the case on PCs when you don't finalise.
Adding recordings to DVD works a bit different to adding sessions to a disc on a PC. When you insert a blank DVD, it creates an open session. As you make recordings to the DVD, these are added to the same session, just as when writing a bunch of files to DVD, each file is written in sequence to the current session. Once you finalise the disc, the recorder writes the lead-in and lead-out, just as the PC software writes the lead-in & out-out once it finishes writing the fileset to disc. However, unlike writing data to a multisession disc on a PC, it is not possible to start a second session on a recordable DVD-R or DVD+R in a DVD recorder, which means that once the disc is finalised, no further recordings can be made to it.

Quote:
I have also gotten a DVD-RW VR disc to play on my computer after it had been finalised. It still wouldn't play on other DVD players though. You can also unfinalise DVD-RW VR discs which could be handy.
The unfinalise feature you have can actually be handy for for DVD-RW's should you need to be able to play it in a DVD-RW VR compatible player or PC, but need to record to it again later. Unfortunately as I mentioned, DVD-RWs recorded in the VR format will only play back in VR compatible DVD players. As far as I'm aware of, only certain PC DVD playback software will play these also, so it is nice to see that you have suitable software.

Quote:
Also are you sure about recording DVD+RW discs in VR format? As far I know it's not possible to do.
As far as I'm aware of, DVD+RW discs are only written in the VR format, which means that there will be no choice given when you load a blank DVD+RW disc. However, unlike DVD-RW VR discs, the DVD+RW VR recording format is designed to be compatible with existing DVD players and should not need finalisation either to play elsewhere. For example, you should be able to record to a DVD+RW disc, take it out, place the disc in a PC or other player and start playing it.
Seán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2006   #5
New on Forum

Thanks Sean, it's good to come across someone who seems to know what they're talking about . Now I'm just not sure if this unit will record DVD+RW VR. I can't find any information on that anywhere.

Also, I don't understand why there would be a limitation on DVD recorders when it comes to burning multisession discs. Surely it's would be possible to do... if only manufacturers would implement that feature.

The software I used to play DVD-RW VR discs was Intervideo WinDV.

regards
Raymond
Old 20-12-2010   #6

Connected to the issue described below - I have a Durabrand DVR A160 DVD recorder which appears to have a power problem - when connected to the power cord the machine just makes a high pitched whining sound but no display. This was a cheap machine and has hardly been used since buying a few years back. The main problem is however that I have used it to transfer some home video to disc but didn't finalise the discs (DVD+R) as I intended to add more to them. Now that the recorder has failed I can't finalise in that way and when trying to view on pc or another dvd player it looks as though the discs are blank.
The footage is of our kids as babies and is invaluable - unfortunately the discs are the only copies.

Any ideas as to how to either finalise the discs some other way, extract the data or get the old dvd player working again (i've tried a different power cord)?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seán View Post
Welcome to the CD Freaks forum

For DVD-R/RW discs, make sure you record in the non VR mode as most DVD players and DVD playback software will not play back DVD-R/RW discs recorded in -VR. However, if you are recording to DVD+R/RW discs, while the non VR mode gives improved compatibility, most DVD recorders are capable of playing back DVD+R/RW VR discs.

I can confirm that you need to finalise DVD-R and DVD+R recorded discs before they will be recognised by any other player or in a PC. If the disc is not finalised, there is no lead-in track for DVD players to read and PC drives often see these as a blank disc or a disc with unrecognisable session.

First, try finalising you discs to see what the PC recognises them as. The finalisation process usually takes a few minutes to carry out, but just be warned that once you finalise a disc, it is not possible to add further recordings to it. Finalised rewritable discs can be erased to make available for recording again. If your finalised discs still come up as blank, then there is something wrong with the way the DVD recorder finalises the disc. Just to rule out a particular brand and format, try recording on a DVD+R if you have been using DVD-R up to now and of a different brand.
Kingkanes is offline   Reply With Quote