Old 07-02-2010   #1

How to transfer data/info from old phone to new phone???

I just purchased a new cell phone (LG VX9800 - The V) and I have been trying to figure out how to transfer all of the data from my old phone (LG VX5400). I have a lot of photos and ring tones on this phone and I really have to figure this out. Can't find any useful information on Verizon Wireless' website. Please help!!!
Thank you
Dorene
dorenep627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010   #2
Senior Moderator

Re: How to transfer data/info from old phone to new phone???

Hi and Welcome!

there are several options to transfer data from one phone to another:
  1. Transfer the data to a computer using a data cable or Bluetooth. Sometimes you need a piece of software from the phone manufacturer.
  2. In case both phones support storage media like Micro-SD cards, you can try to transfer the data to the storage card and just move the media to the other phone.
  3. Direct transfer of the data to the other phone using Bluetooth. That requires a working SIM in each phone, plus both phones are equipped with Bluetooth
Please check the manual of both phones in order to find out what of these options are applicable.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #3

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for the quick response. Neither phone has a SIM card, my new phone supports Mini SD cards, and both phones have bluetooth, which I was able to transfer my contact list but haven't figured out how to transfer everything else. Also, I haven't looked this up yet, but both phones say OTA capable but I don't know what that means yet.

Thank you so much for the information, and I will hopefully be getting a kit to connect at least one phone to my computer.

Dorene

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
Hi and Welcome!

there are several options to transfer data from one phone to another:
  1. Transfer the data to a computer using a data cable or Bluetooth. Sometimes you need a piece of software from the phone manufacturer.
  2. In case both phones support storage media like Micro-SD cards, you can try to transfer the data to the storage card and just move the media to the other phone.
  3. Direct transfer of the data to the other phone using Bluetooth. That requires a working SIM in each phone, plus both phones are equipped with Bluetooth
Please check the manual of both phones in order to find out what of these options are applicable.

Michael
Old 08-02-2010   #4
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorenep627 View Post
Thank you very much for the quick response.
You're Welcome
Quote:
Neither phone has a SIM card,
So you can't use them as phone Additionally, some things won't work without a SIM inserted.
Quote:
(...) and I will hopefully be getting a kit to connect at least one phone to my computer.
Since both phones have bluetooth, I'd just buy an inexpensive USB-Bluetooth thingy and see if that works. Also, I'd check the website of the phone manufacturer, if they have some kind of "phone managing" software available.

Michael
Old 08-02-2010   #5

Thanks Michael, I'll look into the bluetooth thingy...I'm glad we speak the same language. lol
Old 08-02-2010   #6
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

If it's just a handful of photos and ringtones you would like to transfer, go into one of them on the old phone and see if there is an option to send it via bluetooth. For example, on my Nokia 6300, if I go into a picture, press 'Options', I can select 'Send -> Via Bluetooth' and choose a phone (with Bluetooth switched on) to send it to.

A Bluetooth adapter for the PC will allow you to browse the phone like a pen drive if the phone supports this. The following shows an example of how my Nokia shows up via Bluetooth on the PC:

Name:  phone_browse.png
Views: 3346
Size:  31.4 KB

Note that certain purchased items, such as some ringtones will unlikely transfer. For example, if I try copying the Nokia tune to my PC, it will give an error "Copyright protected".
Seán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #7
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seán View Post
A Bluetooth adapter for the PC will allow you to browse the phone like a pen drive if the phone supports this. The following shows an example of how my Nokia shows up via Bluetooth on the PC:

Attachment 199539
You forgot to mention you have also the software for the phone installed

Michael
Old 08-02-2010   #8
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

Yup, the Nokia software adds some extras to the GUI.

On my other PC which does not have the Nokia software installed, it comes up as follows via Bluetooth:

Name:  nokia_bluetooth.png
Views: 3286
Size:  21.2 KB

This only works via Bluetooth, as the USB cable requires drivers and the Nokia suite.
Seán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010   #9

Hi Michael and Sean,

You two are amazing...I was nervous about technical jargon and not knowing what the heck you were talking about. Both of you replied to my post in such a 'user-friendly' way, and it is much appreciated.

I will be looking in to all of the suggestions you shared with me, and again, I can't thank you enough for sharing your wealth of knowledge.

Dorene
Old 23-08-2013   #10

hey, guy. I hear you want to transfer data including photos and ring tones from phone to phone. yes, the data on the old phone is really important for every one. One way is to back up your data to a computer on a daily basis and transfer the data to your other device.
Cand is offline   Reply With Quote