Old 09-02-2006   #1
New on Forum

How can I tell if my TV is HDCP complient?

Ive got a Sony KDF-60XS955. Its got 2 HDMI inputs but it doesn't say one way or the other about HDCP. Any thoughts?

-Greg
dunebug81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006   #2
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

Re: How can I tell if my TV is HDCP complient?

Welcome to the forum

While the manual does not mention anything about HDCP, there is no mention anywhere in the manual that it does not support copy protection over HDMI. The only thing it does mention about HDMI is that it does not support audio, which means you'll need a separate audio connection to your TV unless you have a surround sound system.

On the other hand, there are quite a number of online-stores that clearly mention that the TV features 2 x HDMI ports with HDCP copy protection, such as this example. Sony also has a press-release that was published back in October 2004 which mentions about its "Grand Wega" line featuring HDMI HDCP copy protection. Further down the press release, it lists your TV model in its "Grand WEGA" line, so this is a clear sign that your TV supports HDCP.
Seán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #3
New on Forum

Dear Sean (and other versed folk in the subject of HDCP etc ad nauseum).

I have, perhaps too soon, jumped into the HDTV arena, presently 100% over the air programming. I am using a sony 4:3 XBR set which will do 1080i inset in the 4:3 screen, a Sanyo PLV-70 projector for my theater room, and a Dell 1980x1200 24" flat panel monitor which has Y/Pr/Pb and DVI. As you can see, NONE have HDMI/HDCP. I run mostly Y/Pr/Pb inputs from a Sanyo SIRT-165 over the air settop box.

A while back, Sanyo lets me know my older SIRT165 is not compliant with the notorious broadcast flag and that I should update my firmware. I get a free CD and special serial cable to do the upgrade. I don't do it. Both of my SIRT165s tune over the air just fine as they are now.

So on Day 0 when the broadcast flag is enabled, exactly what is supposed to happen to those of us who were early adopters? I bought my equipment in good faith that it would operate over a 10 year depreciation period like my last TV set.

Does HDCP only apply to the new generation of HD-DVD systems or does it also pose a threat to people who use HD primarily over the air? If it affects those of us who used to enjoy over the air programming with our monitors, analog patch cables, and set top box tuners, are we all going to be left with a bunch of computer monitors and no multimedia support?

How important is the HDMI interface jack? I realize it handles two way encryption packetized data to handshake with an authorized monitor - but for the vast number of non HDMI monitors out there do they become worthless overnight? If all of my equipment suddenly is worthless for over the air viewing for which it was purchased, I will personally lead a letter writing campaign to the advertisers who support the HD contenet until the networks turn off their flag. If HDCP is needed to view a HD-DVD - then the obvious goes there as well - I won't buy a new HD DVD player nor software for 10
years until I replace my monitors.

To summarize, a non backwards compatible interface design only serves to slow the advancement of technology as the early adopters will not support it.
rem700pss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #4
Hef
MyCE Resident

Sony more then very likely has HDCP if they included HDMI esp. two of them. You can check the avsforum.com to make sure, but I bet you do. I have a Sony 30hs420 with one HDMI and I know I do.
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #5
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

From what I recall, the broadcast flag has no effect on older AV equipment, TV tuners, etc. that does not support it as they would simply ignore this. I would strongly advise against installing the firmware update on your AV receiver, since the SIRT-165 does support DVI-HDCP from what I have read around and if you were to update its firmware such that it recognises the broadcast flags, it will likely activate HDCP on all flagged content which would make these broadcasts unwatchable via the DVI connection without a HDCP compliant TV.

The Component video (Y/Pr/PB) connection does not support HDCP since this is an analogue connection; however it is up to the manufacturer to decide how to handle its component video outputs when it detects broadcast flag. Some will reduce the picture quality output to standard definition and some others will turn off the component video-out to force users to use a DVI-HDCP compliant display or recorder.

Unfortunately, both HD DVD and Blu-ray players will require HDCP displays for both their DVI and HDMI outputs, which means that once these come out, you will need to look for a model that features at least 720p or 1080i over component video output as the DVI/HDMI outputs will not work with your displays.

Until about a year back, here in Ireland the vast majority of HDTV displays with DVI that were on sale between the UK and Ireland were not HDCP compliant either, however now nearly every 30"+ HDTV display I come across is HDCP compliant or HD-Ready (which implies HDCP compliant). About 2/3 of 20" to 29" LCD TV's I come across now are also HDCP compliant, which likely means that once the next generation of DVD players launch, chances are that the content providers are going to say "Well, since virtually all HDTV's on sale are HDCP compliant, let's stick with HDCP enforcement on players" without giving a thought to all the unlucky consumers who bought earlier models. On the other hand, very few if any LCD PC monitors regardless of their size are HDCP compliant, which means that there will be a lot of unhappy PC users who decide to fork out on a HD DVD or Blu-ray PC drive only to find that their monitor and likely also their graphics card are not compliant!
Seán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #6
CD Freaks Rookie

Unless this TV has an odd HDMI port, HDMI DOES include the sound signal and does not require separate audio cables.
Seagate 60GB IDE
W/D 120GB IDE
BenQ 1620 OEM flashed to retail B7V9/RPC-1/MediaCodeSpeedEdit
Nu Tech DBW-521 G306
Windows XP Pro

"I'm tired of hearing AMD people knock Intel because it's too expensive. I put my system together for under $400 in November 2003."

"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?" - Obi-wan Kenobi
cerealkiller9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #7
MyCE Resident

If it has HDMI or DVI inputs, it supports HDCP. The big controversy is about older (2 yrs. old) HDTVs with only component connections that can't handle HDCP, so the early bird buyers may be screwed if they ever buy HD or Bluray players. However, recently some studios and player makers have agreed to make dvds and players that don't have HDCP protection to accommodate those consumers who shelled out big money in good faith to upgrade to HDTV sets.
ricoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #8
MyCE Resident

Maybe I'm wrong here, but it would need DVI-D then?!

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoman
If it has HDMI or DVI inputs, it supports HDCP. The big controversy is about older (2 yrs. old) HDTVs with only component connections that can't handle HDCP, so the early bird buyers may be screwed if they ever buy HD or Bluray players. However, recently some studios and player makers have agreed to make dvds and players that don't have HDCP protection to accommodate those consumers who shelled out big money in good faith to upgrade to HDTV sets.
Thats what i ope particulary on Asian non japanese brands kinda region protection since i have shelled 2000€ for this hitachi 42" !
nuke888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010   #10

I have a Sony KDF-60XS955, too, and recently bought a TiVo Premiere. The TiVo unit stated that my Sony TV is not HDCP enabled. After several hours on the phone with TiVo and Sony representatives, I believe the TV is not HDCP enabled.

This seems to make sense, since my TV was manufactured before the FCC approved HDCP in August 2004. The frustrating part was Sony's insistence that any TV they have ever manufactured with HDMI has HDCP. This is coming from their phone reps and canned e-mail messages.
I asked that the question be escalated to the engineering team that designed the KDF-60XS955, but they refused.

Here are the reasons I believe the KDF-60XS955 is not HDCP enabled.

*HDMI signal works fine (both video and audio) with HDMI cable plugged into my laptop running to 60XS955.

*HDMI cable running from my Sony Blu-ray player works fine with my newer Samsung TV, but only outputs a black screen to my KDF-60XS955.

I'll just use my component cables until I replace my Sony TV at some point. I'm certainly discouraged from buying a Sony again due to their not acknowleding the HDCP issue for those of us who bought their TVs prior to 2005.
HDCPProblems is offline   Reply With Quote