Old 03-08-2008   #1
New on Forum

hdtv recording to vhs tape

I hope this is in the right forum. We just purchased a Sony hdtv and she wants to record her Project Runway show onto our VCR. We know that she will not get a digital hi def recording. She just wants to know if the show will record to vhs tape, and if it will be clear enough to watch (we will have an S video line running from the hdtv to the vcr.
bgeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008   #2
Retired Senior Administrator and Review Coordinator USA

Re: hdtv recording to vhs tape

I'm not familiar with Project Runaway, is it broadcast in High Definition? If it is in HD, then no, you can't record the program with VCR. They are meant for different resolution. But you might want to try!

Join CDFreaks Distributed Computing Team, have fun while helping to save some lives!

My review PC & Specs & Media
Blu-ray to DVD guide

Forum Rules | Blu-ray UDF Driver
BenQ/Philips FAQ and tools: BQFlasher, MCSE, WOPC Tool, WinDWFlash

LG BE06LU11 Blu-ray | LG GGW-H10N Blu-ray/HD-DVD | LG GBW-H10N Blu-ray | Panasonic SW-5582 Blu-ray
zevia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008   #3
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeyer View Post
I hope this is in the right forum. We just purchased a Sony hdtv and she wants to record her Project Runway show onto our VCR. We know that she will not get a digital hi def recording. She just wants to know if the show will record to vhs tape, and if it will be clear enough to watch (we will have an S video line running from the hdtv to the vcr.
The S-Video line connection is your answer, in this case (assuming that your HDTV has an S-Video out, not in). The HDTV signal will have already been converted to analog SDTV before it reaches the S-video or composite video out. Thus, the recording that you'd be making from a converted HDTV-to-SDTV source to VHS would have been "clearer" than if you taped it directly from an analog over-the-air channel (with all its snow and interference problems).

However, the S-Video connection will give you picture only, with no sound. Therefore, you will also need a stereo pair of audio cables (interconnects) with two RCA plugs on each end.
16GB of DDR3 1600 @ 1333 (in dual-channel)
GeForce GTX 470
-LG BH08LS20 BD-RE SATA [Dec. 2008]
2TB WD Black (Boot drive)
2 x 1TB SATA Samsung F3 (RAID 0, for video editing work files)
2 x 1TB Seagate 7200.12 (RAID 0, for encoded video output)
750W Antec TruePower New Blue
RJL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #4
New on Forum

To the best of my knowledge, the only way to tape hdtv is to use any old vcr and a hdtv converter box. You simply connect an antenna to the antenna in port on the converter box, using the antenna out port of the converter box and a coax cable run the connection to the antenna in port on the vcr, and finally run a final coax cable between the out to tv port of the vcr to the tv (in from antenna). Set the vcr to channel 3 and set the converter box to desired channel.
bunnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008   #5
CD Freaks Senior Member

The TV is irrelevant. What is your source (cable box, SAT box, antenna, etc.)? If you have a source connected to the VCR and the VCR can tune the channel, then you can record. If you have an HD source and are using an external cable box or SAT receiver, then you may be able tune the channel on the box and then output the audio/video to the VCR and record it. It will depend on whether or not the cable box SAT receiver has a S-Video or coax output to input into the VCR. If the TV is tuning your channels, then most likely no, you can't record with the VCR. TV's generally don't have video outputs.