Old 21-03-2005   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

DVD-RAM Compatability??

Does anyone know of any stand-alone DVD players that will play DVD-RAM disks? My computer DVD drive reads them, but I didn't know if any regular DVD players could?
gdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2005   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: DVD-RAM Compatability??

gdoggy, I have never seen a standard DVD player that will read DVD RAM, unless a Panasonic or a JVC model is/was made. Can I suggest getting in contact with them to see what there is, but I doubt it somehow.
voxsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005   #3
MyCE Resident

Is there incompatibilty among the different UDF formats regarding video playback ?

If you burn a DVD video on a DVD-RAM disk using Nero 6 it ends up as being in the format: UDF 1.02 the same as the pressed DVD
so there should be no problem to play these burned DVD-RAM's on a standalone player like the new Panasonic DVD-S29

Does anybody know which UDF format is used when you burn a DVD-RAM disk in a Panasonic standalone burner ? :some people recently where talking about UDF 2.0 in this case.
franz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005   #4
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franz99
Is there incompatibilty among the different UDF formats regarding video playback ?

If you burn a DVD video on a DVD-RAM disk using Nero 6 it ends up as being in the format: UDF 1.02 the same as the pressed DVD
so there should be no problem to play these burned DVD-RAM's on a standalone player like the new Panasonic DVD-S29

Does anybody know which UDF format is used when you burn a DVD-RAM disk in a Panasonic standalone burner ? :some people recently where talking about UDF 2.0 in this case.
I've got a Panasonic DMR-E55, and that burns to DVD-RAM as UDF 2.0.

Regards,

Merlin100.
merlin100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005   #5
MyCE Resident

Thanks a lot merlin100 ...

What I would also like to know is if a Panasonic standalone player reads DVD-RAM discs burned with Nero 6 in the UDF 1.02 format for examplee using a LG GSA burner (4120, 4160 or 4163)
Old 02-06-2005   #6
CD Freaks Member

Sorry, thats something I can't help you with.

Regards,

Merlin100.
Old 06-06-2005   #7
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsmart
gdoggy, I have never seen a standard DVD player that will read DVD RAM, unless a Panasonic or a JVC model is/was made. Can I suggest getting in contact with them to see what there is, but I doubt it somehow.
panasonic S35 dvd player does, i got one to go with the E55 for the other room, to save m ehaving to convert the RAM to a normal -R / quite a few of the models from the last 2 model years in panasonic read RAM discs now
volvofl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2005   #8
CDFreaks Resident

A late post on the subject

But if you record the DVD-RAM, cann't you dubb it to the recorder's HDD and from there dubb it again to a DVD-R, if you need this disc format?
agomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005   #9
CD Freaks Member

What do you mean by dub? Do you mean dubbing sound?
Old 14-09-2005   #10
MyCE Resident

No, dub means simply to duplicate. As in copy or record.
steven2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2005   #11
CD Freaks Member

Only some players from Panasonic, JVC and Toshiba can play DVD-RAM.
Note: DVD-RAM are not recorded in DVD-Video-Mode but in DVD-VR-Mode. So I don´t think that a DVD-RAM-compatible DVD-player can read a DVD-RAM recorded in DVD-Video-Mode.

Can´t try it by myself because I don´t have a DVD-RAM-writer
LiteOn SOHR 5238S 4S09
Gabe_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005   #12
New on Forum

Hi, there!

A DVD-RAM is recorded in VR Mode only if you use a standalone Panasonic recorder (and some other standalones). On the other hand, apparently, if you use a PC, you can create DVD-RAM discs recorded in either VR Mode or Video Mode. At least, I can tell you that I was just reading that on Usenet today.

My question is, if I have a DVD Recordable [+- or W] disc recorded in DVD Video Mode, how do I re-record it onto DVD-RAM in DVD Video Mode? Is there a software that allows me to do this? Apparently, Nero does, but I have heard of incompatabilities issues (unless, I suppose, a DVD-RAM in VR Mode is what is wanted). I am not an expert in any of these, but I have heard that the Video Mode standard uses VOB files while the VR standard uses VOR files. Again, I am just interested in a DVD-RAM in Video Mode and not in a DVD-RAM in VR mode.

If it is indeed possible to create a DVD-RAM in Video Mode, and I think it is, logic tells me that this disc should be compatible with any DVD reader, standalone or computer, that supports DVD-RAM, including the cheap Chinese ones. Conversely, DVD-RAM in VR Mode is not compatible with all DVD readers that support DVD-RAM.

If you know more of this topic, please advice.

C. Albert Lacaye
discomakberto at megamixers do co dot uk
Disco Makberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005   #13
CD Freaks Member

I don´t know one cheap DVD-Player which can read DVD-RAM.

With TMPG DVD Author and Ulead Movie Factory you can import a DVD-RAM with VRO-Files to the HDD in MPG-format. Now you can re-author it and make a DVD-Video.
LiteOn SOHR 5238S 4S09
Old 19-09-2005   #14
New on Forum

Hello, Gabe!

As for DVD-RAM compatability, if you are looking for a USD 30.00 or so player, it will hard to find. However, a USD 60.00 or so player with DVD-RAM compatability can be found.

I appreciate your information very much, but that is not what I am talking about. I am not talking about converting; I am talking about recording VOB files on the DVD-RAM disc itself. And this is possible to do according to some Usenet messsages. The question is how many standalone players can play this, let's say, "special DVD-RAM disc" recorded with VOB files and not recorded with "native" VRO files.

I don't want to post here the Usenet messages I am talking about, but if you E-mail me privately, I will direct you to them.

Best regards,

C. Albert Lacaye
discomakberto at megamixers do co dot uk
Old 19-09-2005   #15
CD Freaks Member

Can you tell me which DVD-Recorder can write vob-files directly on DVD-RAM? My two DVD-Recorders can only write to a DVD-RAM in VR-Mode -> vro-file

And which DVD-Player with DVD-RAM-reading can be bought for 60 USD? The Panasonic that can read DVD-RAM should be able to play VR-media, so I don´t know the meaning of writing vob-files on RAM.

When I save to .vro as mpg with Ulead MF or TDA I don´t convert it, that mpg-file don´t have less quality like the original.
LiteOn SOHR 5238S 4S09
Old 19-09-2005   #16
New on Forum

Hi, Gabe!

>Can you tell me which DVD-Recorder can write vob-files directly on DVD-RAM? My >two DVD-Recorders can only write to a DVD-RAM in VR-Mode -> vro-file

No, I didn't mean standalone recorders but PC (computer) drives that can burn data on DVD-RAM data discs.

>And which DVD-Player with DVD-RAM-reading can be bought for 60 USD?

You can find the list here (cheap and not-so-cheap):

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers....y=Name&hits=25

>The Panasonic that can read DVD-RAM should be able to play VR-media, so I don´t >know the meaning of writing vob-files on RAM.

In order to write VOB files on DVD-RAM discs, you need a PC, a burn software, and DVD-RAM Data discs (not DVD-RAM Video discs) or DVD-RAM Video discs formatted as DVD-RAM Data discs. These data discs are fully compatible with DVD-RAM computer drives and, though not confirmed, on some (or maybe less than some) standalone DVD-RAM players.

>When I save to .vro as mpg with Ulead MF or TDA I don´t convert it, that mpg-file >don´t have less quality like the original

Good to know.

C. Albert Lacaye
discomakberto at megamixers dot co dot uk
Old 20-09-2005   #17
CD Freaks Member

The most drives are DVD-Recorders, but interesting info.

With PowerDVD 4 and WinDVD 5 I can play DVD-RAM with ifo and vro-Files without problems
LiteOn SOHR 5238S 4S09
Old 20-09-2005   #18
CDFreaks Resident

You can play VR files out of you recorder or in a computer using a drive that supports DVD-RAM ( the number is increasing and in the fareast have allways been very popular).
The interest of VR (some home recorder do it using DVD-RW) are certain facilities that some HDD do not support, but the most important is that you can take the VR files, capture them to a Video Editor (where they will show as MPEG 2 files) and produce a DVD (where you get the Vob files) that most DVD players can read - we are considering that there are no copyrights and macrovision involved, as that would be a slightly different story.
So from you TV recordings you can produce your own DVDs with your comments and if you use a camera including your images or interviews to your kids, relatives, and so o.
If you consider it at a professional level, education, trainning, marketing and so on, you have a lot of possibilities --------- but DVD-RAM will be just one of the initial facilitators.
Obviously - you final work can be recorded to a common disc format: minus, plus, DL, RW, you choose....

Last edited by agomes; 20-09-2005 at 21:51. Reason: add comment
Old 21-09-2005   #19
New on Forum

Hi, friends!

Absolutely, I agree with everything you have said (Gage and Agomes), but I see that you are talking about authoring and/or editing. My approach is different as I would be interested in copying. So, let's say that somebody lends me a DVD-R disc with VOB files full of video clips from MTV or VH-1, and I want to copy it. By using the computer, aside from the logical option of copying to another DVD-R disc (or +-RW discs) with the same VOB files, there is the option of copying these same VOB files on DVD-RAM discs as data. These VOB DVD-RAM discs are obviously fully compatible with computer drives, and conceivably with (how many?) standalone DVD players that can read data from DVD's (like, I suppose, the standalone DVIX players if they also support DVD-RAM).

Now, I think I know the two top questions you might be wondering. First of all, why copying to DVD-RAM discs? Because of their better reliability and better protection when they come enclosed in cartridges. Second of all, why bothering with VOB files when you can use the native VOR files in the DVD-RAM discs? Simply because, if I want to re-record my video clips onto DVD-+RW discs, it is much easier to use VOB files to then be placed on DVD-+RW discs as opposed to using VOR files, change them to VOB files, to then be placed on DVD-+RW discs.

In short, I would like to use DVD-RAM discs as a sort of master and bridge medium. In point of actuality, this means to copy from DVD-+RW to DVD-RAM discs, keep the DVD-RAM discs as point of reference, and then, when needed, subsequently copy from DVD-RAM discs back to DVD-+RW discs, keeping the same VOB files all the way down. Of course, there is nothing wrong if you use DVD-+RW anywhere in the process; I just happen to think (personal opinion) that DVD-RAM discs are more reliable and better in general.

Greetings,

Carlos Albert Lacaye
discomakberto at megamixers dot co dot uk
Old 22-09-2005   #20
CDFreaks Resident

You're right about safety offered by RAM
If you build a "master" using the DVD-RAM you just copy it to another support, I guess.
1/1 copy can put some problems because disc structure is not the same but you can copy wrote to an image and there you go from the image to the new support+

Please note that what differenciates a DVD video is the internal structure, not just the files. When you create one you get 2 folders: one for audio that seems to be empty and one for video (Video TS) where you have all the files, VON, info, menus, and so on. So to build a "master" you should build the structure as well, not just throw the files inside.

Last edited by agomes; 22-09-2005 at 16:01. Reason: add comment
Old 23-09-2005   #21
New on Forum

Hello, Agomes!

Yes, you are certainly correct. I was confirmed that by DiscWelder. I also believe that, since VOB files (and some of the other files) are not natively support by DVD-RAM discs, I would need to create a DVD-RAM Data disc, not a DVD-RAM Video disc. One way or another, I am pretty sure that my approach is not out of the question, and it can be done.

Best to all,

CA-L "Disco Makberto"
Old 24-09-2005   #22
New on Forum

Addendum:

Apparently, my idea of recording "regular DVD" on DVD-RAM discs is entirely possible, and a guy has been doing this. Check it out:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=260186

Again, in order to play this non-native DVD-RAM disc, you need to use a DVD-RAM Data disc, and play it on a computer. Still, I am sure that there are some (or more than some) standalone DVD players that support this special DVD-RAM disc. But don't use the Panasonic standalones because they will look for the VOR files (most or all of these points are discussed on the 260186 thread).

I will keep reserching these features with DVD-RAM discs and recording onto them, and I will keep posting. By the way, I am also a member of the above-mentioned forum (as Disco Makberto).

Until later,

CA-L
Disco Makberto
Old 25-09-2005   #23
MyCE Resident

Quote:
panasonic S35 dvd player does,
. . . .
quite a few of the models from the last 2 model years in panasonic read RAM discs now
Yes
I have a Panasonic S39 DVD player manufactured in China April 2005.
I burn DVD-RAM's in a LG 4163B like any other DVD in the DVD Video format (structure: Audio_TS empty and Video_TS containing VOB files)
I use Nero 6 or even Clone CD 5 to clone a DVD video onto a DVD-RAM.
My Panasonic S39 player reads all these burned DVD-RAM's like any other DVD video stamped or burned (+R, -R or RW, +R DL)

The only limitation I have is the total capacity of the video which has to be reduced to about 4250 MB to fit on a DVD-RAM

Last edited by franz99; 25-09-2005 at 10:53.
Old 26-09-2005   #24
New on Forum

Hey, Franz99!

Your information is "wondeful" news, so thank you for sharing it!

I have heard of the limitation of DVD-RAM discs when it comes to space, but I am okay with it.

As to your Panasonic S39, I think there is another limitation, for it cannot read cartridge-enclosed DVD-RAM discs. Still, some people prefer bare discs, so depending on your point of view, it might not be a limitation.

Thanks,

CA-L
Disco Makberto
Old 26-09-2005   #25
MyCE Resident

Yes, the Panasonic DVD-S39 does not play DVD-RAM in cartridge

But anyway I have been unable tu buy a PC burner which burns DVD-RAM in cartridge on the european market
I miss this cartridge option mainly for backups of precious data