Old 14-05-2010   #1
MyCE Rookie

DVD - R COMPATABILITY

DOES THIS BRAND SUPPORT TDK DVD-R
bunny53444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010   #2
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

Welcome. According to the specifications here on MyCE (click the item link above your post), yes it does. As well as DVD+R.

EDIT: Technical Specifications from Panasonic's website.

How to delete your upper and lower filters : How to check/enable DMA by Womble

Click here to join MyCE.com and be part of our friendly community!

Smile...people will wonder what you're up to
Arachne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010   #3
MyCE Rookie

Re: DVD - R COMPATABILITY

Is it possible to record something that is on a DVD RAM to a MAGNAVOX DVD RECORDER ZC320MW8
Old 15-05-2010   #4

I missed the TDK part in your original post. Since TDK discs can be made by more than one manufacturer, one spindle of TDK discs may work well with your Panny, yet the next spindle you try may not fare so well. I'd stick to something like Verbatim or Sony discs, at least you know what you're getting with those.

I use Verbatim RW discs myself, however if you want to give the TDK brand a go it's your call.

As for your Magnavox question, since I'm not sure, I'll move your thread to our Panasonic DVD Recorder and Player Forum, where hopefully someone can help.

Old 15-05-2010   #5
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny53444 View Post
Is it possible to record something that is on a DVD RAM to a MAGNAVOX DVD RECORDER ZC320MW8
The Magnavox ZC320MW8 cannot play or record DVD-RAM discs.

See page one of the ZC320MW8 Quick Guide or page seven of the ZC320MW8 Owner's Manual for that and other disc compatibility information.

Most current TDK discs are manufactured by CMC, the same as the dreaded Memorex and several other retail brands. CMC media is regarded as landfill material.

If one must purchase blank media at a retail store Verbatim is the brand to buy.

Avoid 16x media for use in stand-alone DVD recorders. For stand-alone DVD recorders 8x media provides a better burn with far less wear and tear to the laser assembly--thus promoting longer laser life. For the same laser longevity concerns reserve DVD recorders for recording DVDs. Play DVDs on DVD players.

I use Taiyo Yuden 8x Premium Line DVD-R discs for all my archival recordings with my (8) Magnavox, (2) Philips, (1) Pye, (1) Toshiba and (15) Panasonic recorders. One Magnavox HDD/DVD recorder and two of my Philips HDD/DVD recorders have 4x DVD Drives, three of my Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders have 8x DVD Drives and one Magnavox HDD/DVD recorder has a 10x DVD Drive. (Taiyo Yuden bought out JVC's optical media division in late 2008 and has recently added the JVC logo to the existing TY optical media product line. JVC no longer produces optical media. JVC does continue to produce magnetic media.) TY discs may be purchased online. Here is one source:

http://www.supermediastore.com/produ...ax=15&offset=0

I use JVC/Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R discs with a duplicator or computer DVD burners optimized for higher speed media. These DVD Burners are rated at 20x or 22x but are seldom allowed to burn DVDs at that speed.

I write with some experience. My home-recorded DVD archive is now approaching 7,000 discs. I specialize in films of the 1929-1955 era.

Last edited by VoxHumana; 15-05-2010 at 19:49.
VoxHumana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010   #6
MyCE Senior Member

Quote:
Only if you play it realtime on your Panny and record it on your Magnavox(using line output/input would be best).
You could also convert it on your PC(if you have a program and your PC drive will play RAM discs).
As was stated a Magnavox will play a RAM disc.
jjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010   #7
MyCE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
As was stated a Magnavox will play a RAM disc.
Jeff,

The Magnavox ZC320MW8 Owner's Manual does not include DVD-RAM among the formats this recorder will play or record.

I don't use DVD-RAM discs so I can not verify this format will play on my variety of Funai-manufactured Magnavox recorders, a MWR10D6 (2006) , a ZV450MW8 (2007), a ZV450MW8A (2008), a H2080MW8 (2007), three H2160MW9 (2008) models and a H2160MW9A (2009). (The year of manufacture is shown in parenthesis.) The owner's manuals of these recorders do not include DVD-RAM among the formats these recorders will play or record.

Other of my recent Funai-manufactured recorders that do not support the DVD-RAM format according to their owner's manuals include a Toshiba D-RW2 (2006), a Pye PY90DG (2006), a Philips DVDR3575/37H (2007) and a Philips DVDR3576/37H (2008).

Last edited by VoxHumana; 16-05-2010 at 18:13.
Old 17-05-2010   #8
MyCE Senior Member

Arg! and we can't edit older posts on this site!!
I meant to say the Magnavox will NOT play a RAM disc and also agreed with your guys DVD recommendations but somehow my early edits and additions failed to take. Now my words are set in stone!
Thanks for catching my mistake, to bad I'm to late to correct it
Old 17-05-2010   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Arg! and we can't edit older posts on this site!!
I meant to say the Magnavox will NOT play a RAM disc and also agreed with your guys DVD recommendations but somehow my early edits and additions failed to take. Now my words are set in stone!
Thanks for catching my mistake, to bad I'm to late to correct it
Hi Jeff - yeah, members can only edit their posts for about 30 minutes after making the post. You're always welcome to send a message to the mod of the forum the post was made in (or a senior mod/admin if that mod isn't about), if you need an important edit done though.

@VoxHumana - that's a lot of standalones you have/have owned!

Old 18-05-2010   #10
MyCE Senior Member

Arachne, thanks for verifying the edit time. I'll keep in mind about PM'ing a mod if the edit is critical.
Vox caught this one, so I think were OK
Old 27-05-2010   #11
MyCE Rookie

Does anyone own this brand of player and can you tell me specifically - will it support playing DVD RAM. Panasonic support says no!
Panasonic DVD-S38 Progressive Scan DVD Player
Old 27-05-2010   #12
MyCE Member

Quote:
Does anyone own this brand of player and can you tell me specifically - will it support playing DVD RAM. Panasonic support says no!
Panasonic DVD-S38 Progressive Scan DVD Player
DVD-RAM is not among the supported formats shown on page 7 of the DVD-S38 Operating Instructions, found here:

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...l.DVD-S38.O#ts
Old 28-05-2010   #13
MyCE Senior Member

Wow I thought all recent Panny players would support RAM but I looked through the whole downloaded manual and not a word about RAM. Doesn't bode too well for the RAM format then, since Panasonic was one of the few players to support that format.