Old 14-01-2008   #1
CD Freaks Rookie

Converting Hi-Def Recordings Stored on Dish DVR

I have a Dish Network 722 HD receiver/dvr which allows HD recordings with the dvr. It is my understanding these are in an mpeg-4 format, and they definitely offer exceptional quality when played back with the dvr. These HD recordings use about 6 times the storage space of SD recordings made with this Dish 722 receiver/dvr. This receiver also allows for connection of an external hard drive, to increase the storage capacity for dvr recordings. There is a USB connection for adding one external hard drive (up to 750g) at a time. I can also move recordings from the built-in DVR hard drive to the external, to free up space.

I would like to be able to move my most treasured HD recordings from the Dish dvr to an external hard drive, and then attach the external hard drive to my pc and transfer the files to dvd discs (burned as data discs) for permanent storage. Then I can always put them back on the external hard drive, plug it into my 722 and play the HD recording.

I also wonder if the data files on dvd discs might possibly be played back thru the Dish dvr using an external dvd drive attached to the USB port on the Dish receiver/dvr.

Also, any way to utilize or convert the mpeg4 files and burn near-HD quality video dvds of those HD dvr recordings? I have read somewhere they may be encoded and can only be played back thru the Dish dvr.

Anybody got any experience with this stuff?

Any and all input would be gladly appreciated.

harold (louisiana)
hleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Converting Hi-Def Recordings Stored on Dish DVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleone View Post
I have a Dish Network 722 HD receiver/dvr which allows HD recordings with the dvr. It is my understanding these are in an mpeg-4 format, and they definitely offer exceptional quality when played back with the dvr. These HD recordings use about 6 times the storage space of SD recordings made with this Dish 722 receiver/dvr. This receiver also allows for connection of an external hard drive, to increase the storage capacity for dvr recordings. There is a USB connection for adding one external hard drive (up to 750g) at a time. I can also move recordings from the built-in DVR hard drive to the external, to free up space.
They shouldnt. SD is mpeg2 and HD in mpeg4, which has a better compression overall. Could be that these recordning are crypted...
Please check the satellite subforum.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008   #3
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

Unfortunately, the Dish Network receiver encrypts content that is placed on an external USB drive. The file system of both the Internal and External hard disks are Linux based, so you'll not be able to browse the drive's contents directly, although the file system can be accessed with a Linux OS or a Linux file system reader. Going by what I read, the actual recordings are only encrypted when placed on the external hard disk, however, so far there is no way of decrypting these, at least not that I heard of.

This engadget HD article has quite a number of user comments about this USB feature, so it's worth reading to see what others have experienced.

A 750GB HDD holds about 90 hours of HD (based on 18.5Mbps 1080i), so in the meantime, it may be worth getting a few of these (if you can afford them) until someone finds a way of decoding the content. While some report that the receiver's internal hard disk is not encrypted (but still uses the Linux file system), it is not clear if transferring a recording from an external hard disk back to its internal hard disk will cause it to be decrypted again.
Seán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008   #4
CD Freaks Rookie

Thanks guys, I feared the encryption may be the biggest problem to fight.

I am getting an external that I can dedicate for this purpose, so I'll at least be able to keep some favorite HD recordings.

I believe the encryption is on the files stored on the dvr's internal hard drive as well, because I can supposedly play files directly from the external hard drive and can also record programs directly to the external hard drive.

As to why the HD recordings are 6 times as large, I don't know, but they are. I believe the internal hard drive of the 722 reciever is about 320 g, and it has space for about 55 hrs of HD and over 300 hrs of SD recordings. Maybe all are mpeg-4 format.

For clarification, are you saying I won't be able to make data dvds of the files either, because of the linux system? If I can at least store the files on dvd discs, I won't have to own 25 external hard drives to keep a library of HD recordings.

I realize I would have to move the files from the dvd discs back to the ext. hd to play the recording thru the Dish dvr. But that would be OK, for recordings that would very rarely be played.

FYI, more info on the new Dish USB capabilities can be found here

Thanks again for the info.

harold (louisiana)
hleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008   #5
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleone View Post
As to why the HD recordings are 6 times as large, I don't know, but they are.
It depends on the program and the channel it came from. Some are MPEG4 streams, some are MPEG2 streams. Also depends on the amount of compression being applied at the time, which varies considerably. Hi motion video uses more space than others.

Given the cost of hard drives, per GB, vs cost of DVD's and the time and aggravation involved, might it be prudent to just buy another hard drive to use with the 622?

I believe that Dish has a new HD receiver or 2 coming down the pike this year, so everything could change.
CDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011   #6

I am getting an external that I can dedicate for this purpose, so I'll at least be able to keep some favorite HD recordings.

I believe the encryption is on the files stored on the dvr's internal hard drive as well, because I can supposedly play files directly from the external hard drive and can also record programs directly to the external hard drive.
.[/QUOTE]

Both drives internal and external are encrypted big time, I took mine apart to find out and used Ubuntu to read the disk and tried everything under the sun and nothing worked. other than hooking the 722 up to my ATI all in wonder external TV card and recording to my pc which gives a good picture by the way. But the vip722 will accept 2- 3gb external HDD to record to so you can get by with very few drives.

Last edited by thekev; 21-02-2011 at 02:11. Reason: hit enter with out looking
thekev is offline   Reply With Quote