Old 04-05-2009   #1
MyCE Member

The Best VHS to DVD software? / Future HD Editing

The Best VHS to DVD software? / Future HD Editing

I have an old 1997 JVC Analog Camcorder and about fifty VHS-C tapes I would like to copy, edit, burn, so my family can view these on their own CD or DVD disk players. I realize this would be all real time editing. I might even invest in another 500GB WD External HD, or one Terabyte (1000GB) because my present HD is half full, and I will need lots of video storage.
That’s Old technology, and I am thinking for the future, to get a onboard Hard Drive High Definition Video camera, so I wanted to know if I would have to purchase tow separate software items.
1) For backing up old VHS tapes to disks, and 2) To burn HD 1080i or 1080p HD to DVD to play on the HDTV display. (I don’t know if people are even using regular CD’s for this, or only DVD’S...and not all my friends even have a bluRay player, and certainly don’t have a Blu-Ray burner on my computer…yet)
I also have Nero Ultra7, which I burn audio mp3’s to cda/wav files, so I need to know if all I need is a video capture card to use with Nero, and forget about buying anything else except the HD Video editing software.
Since I already have the Nero7, I don’t want to buy anything that would conflict with the Nero, like maybe the ROXIO VHS to DVD. I was told by someone at Fry’s electronics, that I would first have to remove the Nero to install the Roxio. He also told me that Tape like Mini-DV is always better for editing that the new Hard Drive Video cameras.
I was also looking at the following software and wondered if anyone has used them:
MAGIX’s “Rescue Your Video”,
MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 14 plus..
(maybe for the HD editing, when I decide on a camera)
HONESTECH’s VHS to DVD v4.0,
Or PINNACLE STUDIO PLUS v.12 software.

As you may have guessed, I am totally confused on these issues. When I do burn the files, what format? MPEG2,.MOV, AVI?
I would like to be able to edit by fading in/out the snowy, bad areas of the old camcorder tapes and maybe even add mp3 music as background for the non-voice areas of the VHS. (not a biggie)
I’d hate to think that on the Mini-DV, this is better suited to easier edit tape than the newer built in hard drive cameras. To me, it’s like stepping back a few steps in technology than going forward, I just don’t know.
Thanks tons!
bozoagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009   #2
MyCE Member

Re: The Best VHS to DVD software? / Future HD Editing

With the ever changing technology these days, I don't want to buy something to go archaic so soon. MiniDV, or any other "tape" is supposed to be easier (I've been told) to edit than a camcorder which is burned to a disc on the fly. BUT, Can anything burned to a disc be further edited? OK, I was thinking about MP3's as a background, but someone told me that I would have to use uncompressed .cda or .wav files for background music.

A few years ago, a friend of mine bought a Samsung DVD VR330 to transfer VHS-C tapes to DVD's. he hasn't used it yet,so I don't know how well it will work.

So..Yes? Once I transfer analog VHS-C tape to a DVD, I could then use a editing software program to edit? Fade in and out, and maybe add music? Thanks.
Old 12-05-2009   #3
Video editing software expert

I answered your questions about vhs to dvd in your other post. As far as a best software, you won't be able to get by with just one. The softwares which are good at editing mpeg2 files, aren't very good at editing avi/dv-avi files.
The ones that are good at editing avi/dv-avi files, aren't very good at mpeg2 files. So if you want to do both, get something like womble mpeg for the mpeg2 files (DVD format), and get something along the lines of adobe premiere elements, vegas movie studio, pinnacle studio 12, or ulead studio 11 plus

IN WIN Dragon Rider case, Asrock z68 extreme4, core I7 2600k @4.0, cm hyper 212 plus, 8gb Gskill 1600mhz cl8 memory,EVGA GTX 970 FTW, Samsung pinpoint f3 1tb 7200 rpm hdd, Crucial M4 128gb SSD, wd 600gb velociraptor, 4tb NAS, win 7 pro 64bit, Samsung S203N DVD burner,LG bluray burner, Dell 27" U2713HM, Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1

C2D E6550,3gb DDR2-800mhz,150gb 10000rpm raptor (R.I.P.) - replaced with 180GB Intel 330 SSD ,1TB sata hdd, geforce 8800 gt, Vista Ultimate, Hanspree 25" LCD ,Samsung bluray DVD reader\dvd\rw16x, Samsung S203N, ADS Pyro A/V Link,Klipsch Pro-Media 5.1 SS
harley2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009   #4
MyCE Member

Happy Saturday morning to you All!
See how one can get really confused with all these editing apps?

Pinnacle does make both the Movieboard, and Moviebox. Here is the Movieboard plus link:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...MovieBoard.htm

Pinnacle Studio MovieBoard Plus - video input adapter - PCI TV Tuner Adapter reviews - CNET Reviews
Price range: $137.99 - $139.99 This is a PCI.

Which of these to get,since someone mentioned Studio...Studio,Studio plus, or Studio Ultimate.
Here is that link...

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...udio+Plus.html

"Pinnacle Studio Plus works natively with HDV and AVCHD footage." I think this may be what I need with my new HD camera,(whatever that will be) not my old VHSC analog camera. it would be nive to buy only one software titale and use it both for analog PCI capture from my VHSC camcorder and a new HD Camcorder.

At present,
On the 500GB Internal for storage, I have 102GB Used and 363 free space. I still have an extra 500WD External HD I use for backup.
At the time of this build, I was relying on experience from these puter tech forums to steer me in the right direction. From all the replies, the consensus (15 months ago) was to get the 74GB raptor, dump the applications on it because it runs extremely faster for accessing apps, than the SataII HD. Then dump all the storage on the 500GB.

If I am to do video editing, Do I still need another internal 500GB HD? I have a 6600 Quad Intel,which seems to run really hot in the summer in my room,so I added a few more cooling fans around the inside of my case. 1 exhaust out the back, 1 side case fan, and 1 at the top, and one in the front....and by adding another hard drive, do you think I would also need a hard drive cooler fan too to cool three hard drives?

Again, Thanks for all your help.