Web-connected HDTVs to sink set-top boxes?

The uncertainty surrounding home entertainment has left many companies confused as they continue heading into the living room. TV manufacturers are more interested in selling Web-connected HDTVs, but millions of potential customers could use their game consoles and set-top boxes to stream content.

There is now growing concern that these new HDTVs with Internet will plague the set-top box as more consumers purchase HDTVs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sony recently announced new Web-connected HDTVs that include the Google TV platform. Prior to Google’s involvement, the market was largely fractured with every company only interested in their own best interest. Google has partnered with hardware makers to include Google TV, which will likely lead to other similar agreements in the future.

I think it'll be only a matter of time before Web-connected HDTVs take over, but set-top boxes and game consoles still have plenty of time to work with. Consumers are just now becoming familiar with Google TV and Web-connected TVs, although the Boxee Box, Roku players, and similar set-top boxes still have time for success.

ADVERTISEMENT

The living room is a cluttered, confusing place for manufacturers and content providers looking to cater to changing consumer demands. Cable executives hope DVRs are just a transitional technology, even though they are unsure how to find a solution to their usage. There also is the constant looming threat of subscribers cutting their cable TV subscriptions in an effort to save money.

As much as I enjoy streaming content -- and using a set-top box in the living room -- the appeal of Internet access built directly into the TV without the need of yet another box is good. Consumers will continue purchasing cheaper HDTVs without Internet access, so the market for set-top boxes will not diminish overnight.

I find it unlikely set-top boxes will be able to continually stay ahead of Web-connected devices, but look forward to seeing how manufacturers try to adapt.

ADVERTISEMENT

No posts to display