Low power tech enables simultaneous HD video streams

Cinemo and Imagination Technologies have announced a new partnership for providing an enhanced video playback solution on low power devices.

The solution will enable simultaneous playback of multiple high definition videos using Cinemo's embedded media engine and Imagination's POWERVR graphics IP cores.

The Cinemo software engine supports H.264 encoded HD video, along with all other popular optical and file-based video formats.

Richard Lesser, CEO of Cinemo stated “By providing a much greater efficiency on low power devices, Cinemo and Imagination Technologies are ensuring there is little compromise where outstanding video performance is concerned. We are therefore, delighted to be working together.”

“Cinemo delivers exactly what is promised,” says Tony King-Smith, VP marketing, Imagination Technologies, “and we’ve been delighted to demonstrate their multimedia player decoding multiple high-bitrate HD streams of different formats in both Linux and Windows environments, at full frame rate, utilising our POWERVR video hardware decoder technologies. We’re excited to work with Cinemo to optimise future versions of the Cinemo technology stack to further enhance video playback, to give users a robust, highest quality HD experience in all situations with the lowest possible power consumption.”

As more and more consumers look to play back and output video from their portable media players, smartphones, tablets, netbooks, cameras and other devices, robust video solutions like this are becoming very important.

The ability to serve up 2 separate HD streams at once could come in handy when a device is outputting video to a larger HD screen and playing back separate video content on the smaller device screen itself. If my smartphone could output HD video to my HDTV, I know I'd be pretty happy with the feature.

No posts to display