Old 31-03-2006   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

Does "VERIFY OK" in IMGBURN mean good to go?

I have some "videos" I want to get off my HD and I don't have time to actually watch the DVD+R DL's I burned to make sure they're perfectly ok. I have been burning memorex DL's and 95% of the time they write error-free (only one coaster so far), but about 50% of the time they have verify errors with IMG burn. I know, I know Verbatim is king of DL media, but unfortunately I've had a hard time finding larger spindles of them for cheap... Whatever.

ANYWAY, How reliable is the verify on ImgBurn?

Can I delete the ISO's on my HD for the DL's that verified ok and assume the layer-break is flawless/the DVD Is good to go?
h0mersimps0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2006   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Does "VERIFY OK" in IMGBURN mean good to go?

the verify just checks the integrity of the data, not how good the burn is as far as i know.

you say you already know about media quality so i guess i don't have to restate that you're probably asking for trouble.

and what does it matter if you delete the ISOs? if you find that one of your discs is unwatchable, just make a new backup from the original (on QUALITY media...using memorex is pretty much begging to have to reburn later)

if your drive is capable of disc quality scans (you never stated what kind of drive you have), doing a scan will tell you the error rates on the disc, and with memorex discs, it probably isn't going to be pretty.
reasonsnotrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2006   #3
CD Freaks Junior Member

Sorry, I have the Pioneer DVR-110D

I knew memorex is bad but it's THAT bad? sheesh
Old 31-03-2006   #4
MyCE Resident

do a search for my username in conjunction with memorex on this forum. I've explained WHY memorex is not good media many times, and don't feel like typing a whole essay on it yet again.

in short, yes, it CAN be that bad. just because some of your discs "play alright" doesn't mean that there aren't a ton of errors on the disc. even if it plays ok now, using poor media doesn't guarantee that it will play ok next week.

check the bargain basement forum for media sales. verbatim discs in the US can be obtained on sale for about $2 per disc.
Old 31-03-2006   #5
CD Freaks Junior Member

what's that "Disc quality scan" thing you were talking about? is my drive capable? Is there any software that can run these copies through the gauntlet until I have time to view them myself?

thanks, I'll search around
Old 31-03-2006   #6
MyCE Resident

i don't think pioneers can do a quality scan. a decent check though would be a transfer rate test using nero cd-dvd speed.

basically in this test you want a smooth line. if there are any drastic dips, that means the drive has to slow way down to read the data. this can be indicative of a skip or a freeze (not ALWAYS, but it's a decent indicator if you can't do a scan)
Old 31-03-2006   #7
CD Freaks Junior Member

I just did a neroinfo on one of my Memorex DVD+R DL discs and it says:

RITEK D01

I'll give that nerospeed a shot and see what happens. Thanks for the tips

I'm going to post a screen shot of whatever nerospeed comes up with and have you guys tell me how it looks? thanks
Old 31-03-2006   #8
CD Freaks Junior Member

is Nero's SCANDISK tool any good/reliable because I have that with my version of nero or should I just do the benchmark and post that? Also should I do the scan in "READ" mode or "C1/C2 - PIO/PI" mode? Which of the three types would be most reliable in telling me if I have a good disc?

Last edited by h0mersimps0n; 31-03-2006 at 16:44.
Old 31-03-2006   #9
CD Freaks Junior Member

nevermind, I can't get anything but the READ scan and benchmark to work/START anyway... I'll just run those... thanks
Old 31-03-2006   #10
CD Freaks Junior Member

ok how is this? This is a bench of a disc that had a perfect "SCANDISK" scan "READ TEST". Good to go or should I just throw out the rest of my memorex's and hang myself?

Embedded Images

View/download images and remove advertisements by registering now! (it's easy, free and takes less than a minute)

You must be registered in order view images in this forum.
Old 31-03-2006   #11
MyCE Resident

that's considered a "smooth" scan believe it or not.

it looks like your drive just reads the second layer more slowly (which i've never seen before, but it still looks alright)

you want to stay away from erratic dips.

the only surefire way to tell if they work is to watch them, but i'd be willing to guess that this will play alright in a standalone that isn't super picky.

just because you got a Ritek DL burn to READ ok doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of errors on the disc. a disc quality scan would be the only way to determine this.

without watching the disc, i'd say it looks alright to me, but to check every so often. poor quality media is notorious for degrading quickly.

that way if you find that you get a poor transfer curve or if you're watching it and it skips a lot you can pull out the original and make another backup.

for more info on quality tests, transfer rate scans, and general opinions on media check out the blank media forum.
Old 31-03-2006   #12
MyCE Resident

@ h0mersimps0n,

It appears that you are attempting to force the facts and make you known unreliable problematic Memorex DL appear that it is producing quality error free results. The Forum is chock full of numerous scans proving beyond a doubt that Memorex DL is cheap garbage media. Save you self at lot of time, effort, and aggravation and stop use Memorex Media and acquire known proven high quality DVD DL Media (Verbatim).

In should be noted with a visual viewing of a recorded DVD backup copy it might appear that a DVD is recorded properly and not contain any errors but in fact it this DVD backup copy could contain undetected errors that could render this DVD unreadable in a short period of time – in some instances less than a month. If you value your DVD data use known proven high quality DVD DL Media (Verbatim).

If you were really serious about insuring that your recorded DVD data is error free and want to conduct quality scans of your recorded DVD data you can purchase a good reliable DVD Burner that allows scanning for approximately 40 bucks. Suggest visiting the CD Freak Optical Drive Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61) and research there for a DVD Burner that will meet your scanning needs. Forty bucks might sound like a lot of money but that is actually less than the cost of 3 DVDs that could be lost to undetected errors in your backup DVD archive.

You fail to provide information as to the area where you are physically located so Forum members are unable to provide a source of reasonably priced Verbatim DL Media.

Suggest visiting the CD Freaks Blank Media Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33) for information concerning sources of Verbatim DL Media. Also suggest visiting the CD Freaks Bargain Basement (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58) where they post information on deals concerning Verbatim Media.

Best Regards,
bjkg
bjkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #13
CD Freaks Junior Member

yeah I am pushing the issue, I don't like sitting on $50 worth of DVD DL's that I can't use it really pisses me off that companies do this BS- I thought I was safe going with a brand-name. It's not a good feeling and excuse me for trying to at least get something from my $50 worth of junk DVD's.

I was surprised to find this forum until a few weeks ago because I did a lot of reading, reviews and research for my Pioneer drive before I bought it and I never ran across cdfreaks.

Now I'm here and now I'm learning but unfortuantely I don't have the resources to just go out and replace my drive and media on a whim.

Sorry for trying to salvage a bad situation, they've been pretty friendly in the media forum so I'll stick to over there for now thanks...
Old 01-04-2006   #14
MyCE Resident

no one was being mean. bjkg is right. if you have unopened packs of the memorex media, return them!

in the future, you're going to spend more money and AT LEAST double your time reburning everything that has been saved to a poor quality disc anyway.

also. bjkg didn't mean to junk your BURNER. your burner is fine. he was recommending a drive that can perform quality scans so you can see the true error rates on your discs.

i think you'll find that even in the blank media forum (apparently where all the *nice* cdfreaks are hiding) that most will agree that poor media is a waste of money. it's fine that you didn't know, but now you do. put whatever you have left up on ebay for a good price and overcharge some poor jerk on shipping to make your money back and purchase some quality media!

(note: i don't really advocate being a jerk on ebay...but if you have a little brother you can rip off, then that's always good )
Old 01-04-2006   #15
CD Freaks Junior Member

lesson learned believe me. Luckily I have a 50 pack of Verbatum DVD+R SL's I bought a while back I'm just going to put everything on SL for now until I can afford some verbatum DL's again. sucks...

I have most of my stuff already on my HD in file mode would u recommend cloneCD, cloneDVD or nero? other?

Sorry for the curtness, I'm extremely aggrivated
Old 01-04-2006   #16
MyCE Resident

to compress files to a sl disc, clonedvd all the way.

i use clonedvd2 for the majority of my shrinking/transcoding/burning needs.

clonecd is good for 1:1 backups for DL discs.

i wouldn't touch nero for DL burning.

if you were getting into DL burning for the quality aspects, remember that you can still split across two discs using the scissors function in clonedvd2 (that is if you don't mind swithcing discs halfway through the movie)