Old 06-12-2002   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

Formatting

why do you loose space on your hard drive when you format it? i thought that it was there to erase data on it.

is there any way to reclaim all (or even some) of the data lost when formatting?

also is it possible to estimate as to how much space will be lost when the drive is formatted?
Hornster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002   #2
Retired Moderator

I'm sure this has already been answered plently of times, but rather than say "Use the search" I'll just answer.

Manufacturers sell the drive based on 1GB=1000MB, 1MB=1000kb 1KB=1000bytes, etc.

Hard drives are formatted like this: 1GB=1024MB, 1MB=1024kb, 1KB=1024bytes, etc.

So you're not really losing anything, it's just deceptive marketing. So *I think* 1GB actually equals 1073.741824MB, but I probably did the math wrong (1024(b)x1024(k)x1024(m)). So for every GB you lose ~74MB. Works out for me, I've got 2 120GB drives, using 74MB/GB "loss" I should have 8880MB less when formatted, Windows shows it as (roughly) 111GB.

Pumping Iron & Sweating Steel (for 30 years) - Joe Grushecky And The Iron City Houserockers - "Labels come and go. The music remains. Music companies are generally the enemy of the musician."

Junior's Bar where the band is playing, just for me.
They play real loud, they move the crowd,
It's a poor boy's symphony.
Junior's Bar, until they kill the neon lights,
I hope I don't go home alone tonight.
Iron City Sampler

Free Peltier
BadReligionPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002   #3
MyCE Resident

It's not deceptive marketing at all. Hard drive manufacturers are following the standard of the storage industry and the rest of the world.

To everyone else in the world using the metric system, kilo = 1,000, mega = 1,000,000, and giga = 1,000,000,000.

The binary based 1,024 multiple Nerdabytes capacity system is used nowhere else in the world, and is a confusing remnant of inaccurate nomenclature that has outlived its usefulness (if it ever had any).

See Storage Capacity Measurement Standards
Inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002   #4
CD Freaks Junior Member

thanks for clearing that up for me!
Hornster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertia View Post
It's not deceptive marketing at all. Hard drive manufacturers are following the standard of the storage industry and the rest of the world.

To everyone else in the world using the metric system, kilo = 1,000, mega = 1,000,000, and giga = 1,000,000,000.

The binary based 1,024 multiple Nerdabytes capacity system is used nowhere else in the world, and is a confusing remnant of inaccurate nomenclature that has outlived its usefulness (if it ever had any).

See Storage Capacity Measurement Standards

I'm curious how you came up with the conclusion that "The binary based 1,024 multiple Nerdabytes capacity system is used nowhere else in the world, and is a confusing remnant of inaccurate nomenclature that has outlived its usefulness (if it ever had any)."? Have computers stopped using binary? Last time I checked computers still operate on a base2 system, not base10. So in the computer world where hard drives live a byte is still equal to 1024 and always will be (until they come up with another mechanism). So you better get used to the numbering system and the differences (wrong or right), because they aren't going anywhere.
pparcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010   #6
Retired Moderator

Re: why do you loose space on your hard drive when you format it?

I nominate this for the bump-of-the-week award!

Can anyone beat this 7 year 1 month bump?

@pparcell: Welcome to the forum!
Old 03-03-2012   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pparcell View Post
I'm curious how you came up with the conclusion that "The binary based 1,024 multiple Nerdabytes capacity system is used nowhere else in the world, and is a confusing remnant of inaccurate nomenclature that has outlived its usefulness (if it ever had any)."? Have computers stopped using binary? Last time I checked computers still operate on a base2 system, not base10. So in the computer world where hard drives live a byte is still equal to 1024 and always will be (until they come up with another mechanism). So you better get used to the numbering system and the differences (wrong or right), because they aren't going anywhere.
Excuse my being pedantic but there are 8 bits to a byte so how can a byte be equal to 1024? (thats surely a kilobyte??? and if you times that by 8 thats how many kilobits)

The only weak link in computer technology is the inventor. If only computers could design computers they would be much better at it. Oh crap they're still floored anyway being invented by humans. doh!
Mageye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012   #8
MyCE Resident

It is all about ignorance in converting from binary to decimal or vice versa.

they sell drives based on X Billion bites

That the number shows up SMALLER when counted in the nearest binary equivelent (actually a larger numbe by 2.4%))

it REALLY isn't relevant in the greates scheme of things

AD
AllanDeGroot is offline   Reply With Quote