Old 27-08-2006   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

Western Digital Hard Drive Jumper Settings

Hello all,

I didnt know where to post this - either here or the External Enclosure thread.

Anyways, I have a Western Digital WD400 40 gig Caviar that I never used. Would like to put it into an external enclosure with the Oxford 922 chipset.

Basically wanted to confirm which jumper setting to use. The diagram on the drive is a little confusing. Im assuming that I should set it to master? But there are two settings. One is for master or single drive, which seems to be removing the jumper all together. Then there is another for master, when slave is present. Or Cable Select is also an option? In any case, with the drive just out of the packaging, it appears that the jumper is in none of the proper positions - its sideways in fact...

Thanks mucho

Rothie
Rothie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Western Digital Hard Drive Jumper Settings

Master would be my first guess.
I love life...Yeah, I'm sad, but at the same time, I'm really happy that something could make me feel that sad. It's like...It makes me feel alive, you know. It makes me feel human. The only way I could feel this sad now is if I felt something really good before. So I have to take the bad with the good. So I guess what I'm feeling is like a beautiful sadness.

Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.

The most important things are the hardest to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them-words shrink things that seemed limitless when in your head to no more than living size when they're brought out. But it's more than that, isn't it? The most important things lie close to wherever your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you've said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried while saying it. That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller but for the want of an understanding ear. - Stephen King, intro to "The Body."
jhtalisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006   #3
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtalisman
Master would be my first guess.
i think he's asking which master setting to use.

WD srives (along with some other brands I'm assuming) give directions for "master" or "master with slave"

for your WD drive, remove the jumper altogether as it will be the only drive on that "cable" (ie in the enclosure)

*Most* enclosures require that hard drives be set as master. some will work with the jumpers in different positions, and some might require a different jumper setting (although i'm not aware of any that do).

definitely check the documentation with the enclosure, but without knowing much about that particular enclosure my guess is to set as Master-Single (ie no jumper)
Old 28-08-2006   #4
CD Freaks Junior Member

Western Digital HDDs have 3 primary jumper settings.
- MASTER
- SLAVE
- SINGLE
When using the WD drive alone on the IDE cable or in an enclosure, you should use the SINGLE setting.
Old 28-08-2006   #5
MyCE Resident

When the jumper is "sideways" on those 2 pins, it's considered to be "parked", which is the same as no jumper, which is the same as "single drive master".

Consult the manual for the enclosure for proper jumper settings. With some enclosures, it doesn;t matter, with some it does, but the WD drive will likely want the jumper to be where it is now.
CDan is offline   Reply With Quote