Old 11-02-2009   #1
CD Freaks Junior Member

Western Digital - Cable test failed...

I tried running Western Digital's Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics to check my hard drive (WD800JD-75JNA0 SATA). When I attempt to run any of it's test I get the test error code, "11 - Test Cable Error!" and "cable test failed, check the cable." I'm going to replace the sata cable to be safe, but, I find this error odd. The reason why is because the S.M.A.R.T feature in the WD Lifeguard Diagnostics can detect and display hard drive information. Why can S.M.A.R.T. communicate with the drive, but, when I try to run one of it's test I get "cable test failed?" Thanks for the help!
Hercules1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #2
Senior Moderator

Re: Western Digital - Cable test failed...

Hi,

you happen to have this drive connected to a Via based Sata controller (and the jumper 5-6 set for Sata I compatibility)?

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009   #3
CD Freaks Junior Member

I do not know if it's connected to a Via based Sata controller or the configuratin of the jumper settings. I can open the case up to determine the jumper settings. Is there some way to determine if it is a Via based controller? The hard drive is in a Dell Dimension 8400. It appears to be connected directly to the motherboard. There is a small square shaped black "socket" that accepts four sata plugs and looks to be permanently attached/integrated to the mother board. Only one is in use...the hard drive. I don't know if this helps, but, the configuration in the bios is set for RAID Autodetect / AHCI. The other three options are RAID Autodetect / ATA, RAID On, or Combination.
Old 11-02-2009   #4
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules1 View Post
I do not know if it's connected to a Via based Sata controller or the configuratin of the jumper settings.
I was asking since I had a similar issue with a WD Sata I drive connected to a Via Sata controller (that's why there must be a jumper set).
Quote:
The hard drive is in a Dell Dimension 8400.
Then it's is not a Via chipset
Quote:
I don't know if this helps, but, the configuration in the bios is set for RAID Autodetect / AHCI. The other three options are RAID Autodetect / ATA, RAID On, or Combination.
Maybe the WD utility can't handle this controller setting (or the corresponding driver). I guess, it will work with the ATA setting, but I am not sure if such a reconfiguration is healthy for your Windows installation.

Michael
Old 12-02-2009   #5
CD Freaks Junior Member

If I was to change the configuration to RAID Autodetect / ATA and it caused problems, can I simply just re-select RAID Autodetect / AHCI? I don't think I would need to do this, but, if I do change the settings, should I have one of the installation cd's in the dvd drive for whatever reason? Out of curiousity, what is the prefered, most common, or usual setting? Thanks!
Old 12-02-2009   #6
CD Freaks Junior Member

I just found, downloaded and ran HDTune freeware version. I ran the benchmark and error scan. They ran without any problems. Error scan showed all sectors are ok. Because of this, I'm wondering if the "cable test failed" from the WD Lifeguard Diagnostic is a result of a something other than an actual sata cable or hardware problem. Actually, I'm thinking there's nothing wrong with the hard drive, it's connections, and bios settings simply because I can't see how HDTune could have performed an error scan or a benchmark test if there was a problem. I may be way off with that line of reasoning, but, it seems logical to me.
Old 12-02-2009   #7
Senior Moderator

Hi,

I agree with you. I think, there is something wrong with the WD diagnosis application, since it doesn't work for me either.

Michael
Old 12-02-2009   #8
MyCE Member

Diagnostics software showing false positives is annoyingly common...
Aramchek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009   #9
CD Freaks Junior Member

I haven't had much of a chance to do anything with my computer for a while. We had a power outage that lasted 36 hours. Anywaysl, I guess it's good to know I'm not the only one it didn't work for. I'm still going to replacing the sata cable, eventhough HDTune didn't have any problems. I noticed the clips that Dell used to help route the cable really pinch down on it. So much so, that the cable is physically squashed at each clip as if it had been crushed in the jaws of a vice. So, I'll be replacing that sometime next week. Thanks for help!
Old 16-02-2009   #10
New on Forum

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem you are having with a western digital drive. I got the 640gb green drive.

Anyway, when I hook it up to my computer, windows (vista) sees it, I can activate it, but when I go to format it, it says "Format failed to complete"
So I run the diagnostic tool and it says Test cable error.

I tried two different cables, two different sata ports. I tried putting it in raid and normal, put the jumper on each different setting and nothing worked. It's weird that it won't work, because the computer can see it, it just won't format.

So anyway if anyone figures out what is wrong I would be really glad to know what to do, otherwise I'm gonna have to rma it. Thanks
rhdins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #11
New on Forum

Hi ppls Did somone come up with a solution for this prob? I'm having exactly the same prob with my WD Raptor (WD740) 74Gb

I Connceted it to my pc and I can see it through the bios but it always fails during formatting :/

When I Tried the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics I got a Cable Error :/ Tried 4 Different Sata Cables but no difference...

Btw MY mobo is an old Asus K8V-SE Deluxe With a VIA Controller...
WDammizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #12
Senior Moderator

Hi and Welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDammizi View Post
Hi ppls Did somone come up with a solution for this prob? I'm having exactly the same prob with my WD Raptor (WD740) 74Gb

I Connceted it to my pc and I can see it through the bios but it always fails during formatting :/
This is a bad sign. In case you have Linux Live disc (like Sidux), you may run "badblocks" on that HDD. The write test is destructive, so be very careful what drive you select to check (perhaps it's a good idea to disconnect the other drives).
Quote:
When I Tried the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics I got a Cable Error :/ Tried 4 Different Sata Cables but no difference...
I haven't tried myself yet - but maybe DLG for DOS works if the Sata controller is set to Raid (temporarily).
Quote:
Btw MY mobo is an old Asus K8V-SE Deluxe With a VIA Controller...
Seems as if there is an issue with the WD tools and this chipset.

Michael
Old 22-06-2009   #13
New on Forum

Hi, Thx for the reply indeed it was actually a problem from the motherboard chipset since I have another Seagate 1Tb Hdd + an old Maxtor 80Gb Hdd wihich also werent working properly on that pc.

But now I just finished building my new pc at last and all the hdd's worked properly

Btw I just noticed that both mobo's I used to test on before building this new pc had a similar VIA Chipset therfore it seems like they shared the same problems
WDammizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009   #14
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDammizi View Post
Btw I just noticed that both mobo's I used to test on before building this new pc had a similar VIA Chipset therfore it seems like they shared the same problems
Via's 8237 southbridge is "slightly" problematic.

Michael