Old 14-02-2009   #1
New on Forum

Using Samsung ESTOOL

Havre any of you used this tool?

When I hit enter, having selected 'drive diagnostic', I am presented with a window saying 'Test Loop Count Number'. (This isn't mentioned on the above link, so I'm flying blind and using my intuition - which is why I'm getting nowhere). It has a '1' with the cursor flashing under it. I can type text and numbers here, but if I just leave it and hit enter nothing happens. Actually, I get a second of FDD activity and that's it. Interestingly, looking around the Samsung site I can't find anywhere to ask questions, (Despite there being an FAQ - go figure), so I though I'd come and ask you lot.

The background to this is I have a 401lj and a 301lj as a raid0 on my Gigabyte motherboard via the intel RAID/SATA ports. On bootup I'm told that the larger drive has an error, but the smaller 300g one is fine. It seems to boot up fine. I have had occasional freeze/crashes in the month or so I've had it set up like this which I supsect may well be down to this error.

Incidentally, whichever drive I select using the ESTOOL I have the same issue. I'm torn between trying to sort it out, buying new hardware, or just going down the pub.
flatantti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009   #2
New on Forum

Re: Using Samsung ESTOOL

Well ES Tool need write access to current directory, that is. So don't launch it from cdrom drive, but instead do it from hard disk (or from a removable medium). Like this :
C:
C:>M:\estools.exe
(and pay attention to keyboard layout off course)
yves_982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009   #3

Hi

I had this exact same problem. I got this when I started my computer using a Windows 98 start-up disk not realising that the ESTOOL CD burned from the ISO download was itself bootable. After selecting a loop count of 1, it proceeded to conduct the various tests as expected.

Also, I don't know if this is relevant but I had also used ESTOOL to do a low-level format (which erases data on the disk), gone into FDISK to delete the partition and create but not format the new partition.

I then was able to boot with the ESTOOL CD and it worked perfectly after that.

All I know is that I was able to use the ESTOOL to check my Samsung HDD using the above steps. They may not all be required. Hope this is useful to people.

Bashir.
bash123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2009   #4
MyCE Member

Re: Using Samsung ESTOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash123 View Post
Also, I don't know if this is relevant but I had also used ESTOOL to do a low-level format (which erases data on the disk), gone into FDISK to delete the partition and create but not format the new partition.
First some nit-picking - low level formatting is not done by a user on modern (voice coil based) hard disks. I expect the utility either used the secure erase command, or overwrote the disk.
With some failing disks, you can get back to what appears to be a working status by erasing / overwriting it, however, the disk should not be trusted (I've a Seagate on a shelf I haven't gotten around to discarding where I'm glad I only used it for storing temporary stuff I wouldn't much mind losing).
Aramchek is offline   Reply With Quote