Old 03-03-2009   #1

"Raw Read Error Rate" damage, what does it do?

Hello, few days ago i connected my old HDD Samsung HD320LD 320GB. I knew that it was not working properly. Any data i stored in it, eventually got CRC errors, to read a simple 100mb the HDD took almost half an hour, but this were happening when it was connected to my old pc, i just thought that my old pc is piece of crap and doesn't work like it should, but i noticed that on my new pc its all the same, so i used chkdsk, HDD Regenerator, nothing was found, i created 1 partition and full formatted. Guess what... nothing, still the same, I've read through the forums and found a program named speedfan and this is what i got http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5395/image1t.png. But fixing it it's a little bit critical to me, because i want to backup A LOT OF DATA to it and full format my main HDD, Samsung HD103UJ 1TB. I've read that i can open the drive manually and check the reading head, others said that i could just buy a new one, but that's not an option because my wallet is not so big and I'm only 15 years old. Hope anyone could give me some good info on this . Thanks in advance.

[Update]:
I just ran an Online check and it gave me this: http://www.hddstatus.com/hdrepshowre...ation=D27984F8, maybe this will help :/
IntoDEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: "Raw Read Error Rate" damage, what does it do?

First, you do not want to open the drive!! What operating system are you using? Try this program to wipe the drive, http://www.killdisk.com/, there is a free version for download. Give some computer specs, like make/model, cpu, ram, ide/sata drives.
Whappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #3

I am using Windows 7 Build 7022 x86, Intel Core i7 920, Gigabyte EX58-DS4, 3x1GB ram PC3-10700H(667 MHz) A-Data, going to try killdisk
Old 03-03-2009   #4

killdisk is no go, when i run it, it gives me access violation error, didn't try the booting
Old 04-03-2009   #5
MyCE Resident

Give this one a try: http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

If you don't want to make a bootable Cd you can use this one:
http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/eraser_portable

It runs from a usb flash drive.
Whappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009   #6

i don't know, those programs creeps me a little bit.. I don't really get it how to run them, they say continue, bla, bla... and does nothing, just the copyright, and I don't remember choosing any drive, so i'm a little bit afraid of deleting my other hdd/partition :/, and one little question, what will this do? I know that it will erase completely everything, but don't get it how is this related to Raw Read Error Rate? And i am wondering if anyone could help me or just give a simple walk through on killdisk/SecureErase. i already have killdisk boot cd, but didn't tried it, because i never do bootable thins and such...
Old 04-03-2009   #7
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

From my experience as a PC technician, once a hard disk starts failing, i.e. starts showing reallocated sectors in the SMART, there is very little hope in restoring it. Usually the problem gets worse day by day until after a period of time, the hard disk refuses to read anything at all. Hitachi's seem to be the quickest to go from starting to show read errors to a totally dead drive, at least from 3 Hitachi's I've seen fail in the past year. For Samsung, the few I've experienced fail started with building up reallocated sector counts and then gradually started giving read errors, usually with the most commonly accessed files (e.g. software, system, etc. registry files).

If you plan using a failing hard disk to back up data to, there is a very good chance that if the original hard disk ever gives a problem, the failing hard disk may even be in worse shape.

Samsung does have its own low level erase tool for its hard disks if you would like to try this (download link).

The utility can make a bootable floppy or CD. If you want to make sure your main hard disk (e.g. the 1TB) is safe, power off the PC, disconnect its SATA cable and then run the diagnostic tool with just the 320GB HDD hooked up.
Seán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009   #8

Thanks, going to try Samsung utility first thing tomorrow, but as i know there are no bad sectors, I scanned with HDD Regenerator and he didn't found anything, the disk is fine, but having current info i just know that the HDD has a lot of CRC Errors, if nothing helps i might open the hard drive and look what's inside , but i'll keep this as a last resort, i think warranty is still going
Old 04-03-2009   #9

ok.... it didn't go as suspected... I'm not used to bootable DOS and stuff, i think I've done more damage that repairing, i destroyed MBR, and i have manually to select the boot drive, because it gave me invalid boot error, but it was because it was trying to boot from my usb, off-topic question: if anyone knows hot to set mbr without formatting and installing windows please tell me. i ran the diagnostic tool it had, this are the errors:
Simple Read / Write: Ecc Error
Simple surface scan: Ecc Error
and A LOT OF c; 114646 H:1 S:168 errors
i think RAM will wait, i'll buy an SSD drive

[new] i just went to Disk Management and it gave me disk initialization pop up, i didn't really understood it, but it had to do something with MBR, i quick formatted it nad checked with speedfan, Raw Read Error Rate now is value: 80, Worst: 1, Warn: 51, so if the value number shows the badness of the drive going descending then it got worse :S, now it shows that the temperature is 121 :?, i'm thinking of junking this hdd and getting a new one, but firs i'll try warranty

March to paper search... XD

[more] if this has to do with something: i changed the drive's DMA mode from 5 to 6, because my cable is UDMA 133(if it's not too old, i have it from my old computer)
Old 04-03-2009   #10
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

I would definitely check if it's under warranty. Most hard disks have a 3-year warranty. As long as the Samsung tool reports errors, it makes it easier to get the drive RMA'd, as quite often the supplier will ask for proof that these are drive errors and the Samsung diagnostic results is enough proof.

Unless the warranty has expired and you plan scrapping the drive, I would strongly advise not opening the hard disk. A spec of dust landing on the surface is like a boulder landing on a whiteboard due to how concentrated the written information is on the recording surface. This basically means that once the cover is removed, the drive will be permanently ruined.
Seán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009   #11

found the warranty paper, the warranty ends in 2010 June , i'll visit them soon , thanks for the help