Old 18-05-2009   #1
New on Forum

making a sata a slave

I have a Dell Optoplex 170L PC with a Sata hard drive as the primary master and an IDE drive as the slave.Is there any way that i can make the Sata hard drive the slave and use the drive on the IDE channel as the master drive instead? Please note that the motherboard only has one Sata connector on it and two IDE connectors.
ismailj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009   #2
Senior Moderator

Re: making a sata a slave

Hi and Welcome!

the only way to install a Sata HDD if no Sata connectors are available, is either using a Sata->Pata converter or (that's what I would suggest) a Sata controller card that is installed in a PCI (or PCIe) slot.

An additional option would be installing the drive in an external USB enclosure.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #3
f1y
CD Freaks Rookie

Re: making a sata a slave

Plug in both harddrives, just install windows to the IDE drive, and it will become your master drive. The sata will then sit idly by as a storage drive.

It would probably help to set the IDE channel boot priority above that of the sata channel in the BIOS as well just for added measure.

satas don't have any jumper settings for master slave either, just thought i'd toss that out there. normally just jumpers for sata 1, or sata 2 setting

I'm [H]ard, are you?
f1y is offline   Reply With Quote