Old 13-09-2007   #1
New on Forum

Installing Windows on External Hard Drive

Hi

I'm having a problem with my internal hard drive so I took it out and put it in my other computer to format it. I want to try to install Windows on NOW EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE but being an EXTERNAL from other computer, i would assume there is different way to install windows on it. Can anyone tell me how to do it? It drives me insane because when i put it internal again, it said 'Bootable disk is missing, insert system disk' so i'm thinking because there is Windows in it, is that correct?

Thank you so very much in advance.
Nathalia
nathalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007   #2
CD Freaks Member

Re: Installing Windows on External Hard Drive

Well,

That could mean the drive is on its way out, it could mean that something isn't hooked up properly, it could mean you need to update the firmware of the drive or that the motherboard's BIOS need updating. In short, it could be a lot of things.

We need more info. What did it say / how did it behave in your other computer? Did you format it successfully? If so, did you partition it and set it as active?

"Bootable disk missing" is not an error you would get if Windows was installed to the drive. If you formatted the drive, there would be no installation of Windows, right?

Give us some more information and we can help you.

Why did you take it out in the first place? Most of the time you could do what you need to do and leave it inside.
Old 13-09-2007   #3
New on Forum

In my other computer, it works just fine as an EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE. I've format the hard drive but i didn't partition it or active it. I might try it again later. I HAVE NOT INSTALL the Windows XP on it because i don't know how to install it on the external hard drive. Do you think it is possible? Because my problem is Bootable disk missing and it's because the windows is not there, is there anyway i can install windows on external hdd without formating my C drive?

Thank you
Old 13-09-2007   #4
CD Freaks Member

No need to shout, I can read "external" just as easily as "EXTERNAL."

I still don't understand why you removed the internal hard drive. What was the reason for doing this?

You say it's working as an external drive. I assume that you have an enclosure for it then?

The easiest thing for you to do is to hook it back up to the machine you want to use it in and install Windows XP from there.

If you do have an enclosure and it can be hooked up through USB, most motherboards will allow you to write to these drives whether you have Windows installed or not. Do this: when you boot up the computer with the external drive plugged in, go to your BIOS and see if there is a hard drive detected. If so, then you shouldn't have any problems installing XP to it.

If you can't do it externally, put the drive back into the machine you want to use it in and then make sure the BIOS can see it.

XP setup discs should boot by themselves, without the need for a boot floppy disc. Make sure your BIOS has the proper options set for CD-ROM boot.

Windows setup will allow you to partition the drive, make it active and ask you if how you want to format it (FAT32, NTFS. Go NTFS).

The reason that you need to have it hooked up to the computer you are going to use it in is so that Windows setup will identify all of your hardware and install the proper drivers for it. You can NOT setup Windows from your other machine using the drive externally and expect it to work properly.

Let us know how it goes. And remember: google.com is your best friend.

By the way: you probably posted this in the wrong section. I'll see if I can get a mod to move it to another section so that more people see it.
Old 13-09-2007   #5
New on Forum

Sorry, I've forgotten to mention that my DVD is not working. The computer cannot read it no matter what. I've already check so many times the M/S but it just won't read. It works if i put it external though. So that's why I cannot install the Windows internally. Is there any way I can copy the whole Window CD to a Thumb Disk and then boot it from there?

When i tried to do it on my other computer, even though i'd selected the external HDD but when i format it, it has to format the c drive first and then format the d drive.

Thank you so much for your help, I'd really appreciated it.
Old 13-09-2007   #6
Senior Moderator

Hi,

Windows XP can not be installed on external drives. Just forget it. It won't boot.

Michael

This question is btw not really related to the topic of this forum "flash memory", isn't it?
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007   #7
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

**Moved to the Hard Drives forum, as it's pertaining to an external HDD**

How to delete your upper and lower filters : How to check/enable DMA by Womble

Click here to join MyCE.com and be part of our friendly community!

Smile...people will wonder what you're up to
Arachne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007   #8
CD Freaks Member

[Hand-Holding]

Move your working CD or DVD drive then. That would be the easiest thing.

OR

You can try this: http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=16713

Of course the easiest thing to do is to just search Google as it's quicker than posting and waiting for replies. All I had to do what type "windows xp setup flash drive."

[/Hand-Holding]

Last edited by GasSnake; 14-09-2007 at 00:02.
GasSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2007   #9
CDFreaks Resident

does your motherboard support USB or other external disc bootup??? Make sure your motherboard has this features before you even think of using external drive as your boot drive. But I dont recommend using external bootup disc and use it to boot 2 different computers. You will get hardward conflict and other things that will crash your system. Only time that you can do this is when your 2 computers have identical motherboard
Current System: Asus U6S-A1 with Intel T7500 2.2ghz C2D; 4gb RAM, 200gb Hitachi 2.5" 7200RPM /w 16mb cache; 12" Led Backlit Display; Hitachi/LG GSA-U10A laptop drive; Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit; BenQ 1655 in Cypress ATA2+ Chip Enclosure; Seagate 500gb Pro eSATA drive; HP 30" LCD S-IPS display via HDMI-DVI converter from Asus U6S-A1 Output
ghetocowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2007   #10
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathalia
In my other computer, it works just fine as an EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE. I've format the hard drive but i didn't partition it or active it. I might try it again later. I HAVE NOT INSTALL the Windows XP on it because i don't know how to install it on the external hard drive. Do you think it is possible? Because my problem is Bootable disk missing and it's because the windows is not there, is there anyway i can install windows on external hdd without formating my C drive?

Thank you
Your drive will not boot unless it is activated.
Instead of using a usb stick for windows if you make a small partition and copy the windows cd to it on this drive you will find that will work for the installation of windows. Place the drive back in your machine and use a floppy to load dos, go to the partition with windows and run the setup program.
Old 15-09-2007   #11
New on Forum

Hmmm...i think mine is a bit more complicated. I just found out that the only IDE cable that works is onu my Primary Master. For some reason, the others does not work no matter how hard I try. So I cannot stick my USB AND my HDD so it has to be either. And it seems like there is a Windows installed in the HDD in there but it's missing NTLR or something. Do you think I can put the bootable in the HDD instead in USB? or maybe is it possible to add the NTLR? I know...my case is weird, right??
Old 15-09-2007   #12
DVD Freak

Run over this page long ago but never tried it myself.
Look quite advanced for me.

USB2 (1GB) stick needed.
pinto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007   #13
New on Forum

Thank you guys, I've fixed the problem and now my computer is working. Thank you so very much for everything. God Bless you, guys.... Thank you once again
Old 20-09-2007   #14
CD Freaks Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel
Hi,

Windows XP can not be installed on external drives. Just forget it. It won't boot.

Michael

This question is btw not really related to the topic of this forum "flash memory", isn't it?
Totally not true. Windows XP can be installed on external Harddrive. In order to do so Windows installation disk has to be modified certain way. After that it installes just as easily as with internal harddrive. I did it. And it works just fine.
jason12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007   #15
CD Freaks Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason12
Totally not true. Windows XP can be installed on external Harddrive. In order to do so Windows installation disk has to be modified certain way. After that it installes just as easily as with internal harddrive. I did it. And it works just fine.
Seems to me to be kind of a waste of time except if there was some extreme need for it.

Quote:
Thank you guys, I've fixed the problem and now my computer is working. Thank you so very much for everything. God Bless you, guys.... Thank you once again
Great! Glad you got it worked out.
Old 27-09-2007   #16
MyCE Resident

Quote:
For the benifit of some member that might try the same process could you explain how did solve and overcome the problem of installing WinXP in USB drive.
TCAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #17
New on Forum

Quote:

Hey Jason, Could gimme the details of how to install Windows on the external HD. please help

Thank you,
[V]
itheprowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #18
New on Forum

Quote:
Hey Jason, Could you gimme the details to install Windows on the external hard drive. Please help

Thank you,
[V]
itheprowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007   #19
CD Freaks Junior Member

Sorry, did not check this thread in a while.

What I did is described here:
http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

Basically what you do is:
1. Get your original Windows XP disk.
2. Copy its image on the harddrive.
3. Extract some files from the image
4. Modify these files
5. Update imga with new files
6. Write new image to CD.

For details on what files and how to modify them see the above link.

The new CD will be capable of installing Windows on the external USB Harddrive. I believe they recommend to remove internal harddrive from the PC for the procedure. I did not bother doing that and it still worked. Just select the correct (the USB one) drive.

One more thing. Do not bother installing Windows on a USB memory stick. Although it will install the stick will die in few weeks. This is due to Windows constantly writing data on the disk abd wearing it out. You probably cam install the disk on a compactflash if the PC is able to see it during the boot-up. Compactflash takes care of worn out sectors and replaces them with new ones.

Good luck
jason12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007   #20
New on Forum

i wuld suggest a complete clean boot
that may help
there are a few good freeware programe outhtere who will wradicate everytiign so that there is no residual leftovers to further comicate the reinstall, just a thought jojo12
jojo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007   #21
New on Forum

hey guys did you know that the true amout of usb or memory card makers is less than 5 in the whole world? yuppers the rest are all oem. i happen to be an importer and after alot of researcing i came out with this tid bit of info. it just for thought nothing more. so that is why it might explain to some why no matter what usb or flash disc they use it wont work there all the same. also another little ditty, rumours were abounding that samsung had a big warehouse fire and that is what was driving up the cost for all flash and usb types units, again, another urban myth. just more food for thought, jojo12
jojo12 is offline   Reply With Quote