Old 28-01-2009   #1
New on Forum

Ide connection of Hard disk and Dvd writer

Have a spare ide hard disk that I want to pass over to my daughter.
What would be the correct sequence for connecting both the HDD and IDE DVD writer to the same cable. Master and slave. Only one cable available from motherboard.
Thanks
colinww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009   #2
Senior Moderator

Re: Ide connection of Hard disk and Dvd writer

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinww View Post
Have a spare ide hard disk that I want to pass over to my daughter.
What would be the correct sequence for connecting both the HDD and IDE DVD writer to the same cable. Master and slave.
HDD=Master, Optical drive=Slave.
Quote:
Only one cable available from motherboard.
Is there a connector for a second cable? If so, it is highly recommended to buy another cable so both drives can be used on its own cable.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009   #3
New on Forum

Hi Micheal
Unfortunately only one connector for IDE.
So your information will be the way to go.
Cheers for your help
Old 29-01-2009   #4
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinww View Post
Unfortunately only one connector for IDE.
So your information will be the way to go.
Depending on the computer case (arrangement of drive bays), it might be impossible to connect an optical drive and a HDD together to one cable. In that case, using an inexpensive IDE->Sata converter for the HDD should be considered. Or install the HDD in an USB enclosure.

Michael
Old 29-01-2009   #5
MyCE Resident

THE issue is that if the computer you are working on has it's HDD mounted in the 3.5" drive bay making the short length of cable between the two drive connectors makes connecting the optical drive and HDD to the same cable all but impossible.

IF you have a spare PCI slot you could add a HDD controller card.
(You can get a PCI Promise controller card for <$20)

These typically have two IDE sockets and depending on mechanical
issues with cable routing you could connect four IDE drives (two each on two cables).

It would likely be possible to re-mount the HDD into one of the 5.25" drive bays using a mount made for the purpose.
But even then you run into cable length issues (between those two connectors) because of the difference in depth due to the lenght of the drive) between an optical drive (typically long) and a HDD in a 5.25" mount (typically quite short)

You are generally far better off of you manage to avoid, by
whatever means necissary, connecting your ONLY HDD
(if you are so foolhardy as to only have ONE) and the
optical drive to the same cable/IDE-channel as this will
usually slow down and rip operation and reduce the speed of any burn operation to the same speed as continental drift.

I have a HDD and an optical connected to the same cable
but the HDD is in a removeable drive tray and the cable length difference is NIL... this is because the IDE cable must only
connect to the outer frame of the drive drawer assembly.

AD
AllanDeGroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009   #6
New on Forum

Thanks everyone. As mentioned, had the problem of distance, partly solved by a jury rig in the optical drive bay. Not satisfactory.
Then I thought is the IDE disk error free and worth the trouble, doing a HDDscan, found some very slow sectors, so could be on the way out, so am chucking it, however to all out there, thanks for your time and great input.
Tried some time ago to get an answer on another matter, but was chucked out as only a newby, had been reluctant to try again, but am glad I did.
Great thinking on the caddy.
We need more of you guys, thanks a heap.

Last edited by colinww; 30-01-2009 at 04:22. Reason: To show appreciation of one members thinking.
Old 19-02-2009   #7
MyCE Rookie

Hi,

I thought my question fits best in this thread.

I have 2 hard drives and 1 burner(PLEXTOR PX-750A) and I'm planning to install a second burner. My mobo is a P5LD2 and has the following connectors:
- 2 red IDE connectors(PRI_EIDE and SEC_EIDE) for a 40-conductor cable (Ultra ATA 133/100/66)
- 1 primary IDE connector(PRI_IDE) for a 80-conductor cable (Ultra DMA 100/66)

What is the best setup? Please also explain the colour coding. I read here that black is master and grey is slave but my motherboard's user guide says it's the other way around??
The user guide also says that ATAPI devices are not supported on the first 2 ide connectors whatever that means.

The main drive is a WDC WD2500JB-00REA0 in UDMA mode 5 which is on the black connector of the 80-conductor cable attached to the PRI_IDE. The burner in UDMA mode 4 is on the grey connector on the same cable.
My second hard drive is a Maxtor 6 Y080P0 that currently hangs on the PRI_EIDE via a 40-conductor cable.

Thanks
Delta007bhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009   #8
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta007bhd View Post
I have 2 hard drives and 1 burner(PLEXTOR PX-750A) and I'm planning to install a second burner. My mobo is a P5LD2 and has the following connectors:
- 2 red IDE connectors(PRI_EIDE and SEC_EIDE) for a 40-conductor cable (Ultra ATA 133/100/66)
There seems to be some add-on controller soldered onto the motherboard. Please read the manual for more detailled information.
Using 80 conductor cables is generally recommended. For modern drives, avoid the old 40 wire type.

I guess, the two red connectors belong to the controller integrated into the mainobard chipset, the other one is part of an onboard add-on controller. Or vice versa.
Quote:
What is the best setup? Please also explain the colour coding. I read that black is master and grey is slave but my motherboard's user guide says it's the other way around??
According to the specs, the blue connector belongs to the controller, the black one to the "Master" drive, the grey one is for a "Slave" drive. Maybe there was some kind of translation error in your manual.
Quote:
The user guide also says that ATAPI devices are not supported on the first 2 ide connectors whatever that means.
This is important, since it means, optical drives won't work properly if hooked on there.

Suggestion for a setup with two IDE burners:
Both on the same cable (80 conductor) plugged to the "non-red" connector. Make sure, the drive jumpers are correctly set.

Quote:
The main drive is a WDC WD2500JB-00REA0 in UDMA mode 5 which is on the black connector of the 80-conductor cable attached to the PRI_IDE.
This should be moved to red PRI_IDE then.
Quote:
My second hard drive is a Maxtor 6 Y080P0 that currently hangs on the PRI_EIDE via a 40-conductor cable.
You can pair this drive as Slave to the first HDD, or connect it to the red SEC_IDE port. Also use an 80 connector cable please.

Michael
Old 19-02-2009   #9
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
You can pair this drive as Slave to the first HDD, or connect it to the red SEC_IDE port. Also use an 80 connector cable please.
Oh so I can also use a 80 conductor cable on a standard IDE controller?? I didn't know that. Is this due to better data transfer since with 80 wires, the others are grounded wires which shields off the signal? Can't remember where but I read something like that on the internet.

Why these difficult names? I mean Ultra ATA, IDE, EIDE, Ultra DMA,... Is IDE and EIDE not the same?
And what does 133/100/66 and 100/66 mean?

Thanks Michael

Last edited by Delta007bhd; 19-02-2009 at 22:58.
Old 19-02-2009   #10
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
Oh so I can also use a 80 conductor cable on a standard IDE controller??
Of course
Quote:
I didn't know that. Is this due to better data transfer since with 80 wires, the others are grounded wires which shields off the signal? Can't remember where but I read something like that on the internet.
You got it correct, basically. Many modern DVD burners require an 80 conductor cable.
The old-type 40 wire IDE cable supports only UDMA 2, which is 33 MB/s. Modern DVD burners and HDDs support higher modes from UDMA 4 (66 MB/s) up to UDMA 6 (133 MB/s) The 80 wire type is mandatory to ensure proper data transfer.

I'd suggest to start with wikipedia for some additional reading if you are interested in more information about this.
Quote:
Why these difficult names? I mean Ultra ATA, IDE, EIDE, Ultra DMA,... Is IDE and EIDE not the same?
To confuse the customers. ATA, IDE and EIDE are often used for the same. Ultra DMA is a data transfer mode.
Quote:
And what does 133/100/66 and 100/66 mean?
It's basically the theoretical maximum data transfer rate of the interface.

Michael
Old 26-02-2009   #11
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Hi,

I thought my question fits best in this thread.

What is the best setup? Please also explain the colour coding. I read here that black is master and grey is slave but my motherboard's user guide says it's the other way around??

The main drive is a WDC WD2500JB-00REA0 in UDMA mode 5 which is on the black connector of the 80-conductor cable attached to the PRI_IDE. The burner in UDMA mode 4 is on the grey connector on the same cable.

Thanks
That sounds bass-akwards to me... as ATA133 absolutely MUST have an 80wire cable, while for an ATA100 HDD it is merely a really good idea

ATA66? have it bronzed, and use it as a paperweight as it isn't good for much else.

"PATA" is also another synonym for IDE, EIDE, etc...

There frankly is no current use for a 40wire cable as all the drives
that can actually use them are old and slow.

Would you like to borrow my 40wire cable storage device?

It's circular, stands about 20" tall, sits next to my desk and it
gets emptied about once a week... thinking about it you probably
already have one....

Yes, what I'm saying is that for any computer hardware you actually
want to use, you DO NOT want to use a 40-wire cable on it and I heartily recommend putting them in the trash.

AD
AllanDeGroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009   #12
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanDeGroot View Post
...Yes, what I'm saying is that for any computer hardware you actually
want to use, you DO NOT want to use a 40-wire cable on it and I heartily recommend putting them in the trash.
lol, thanks for the advise, I'll write Happy Birthday on the 40wire cable, hang some leds on one end and a battery on the other end

I know I asked about IDE and stuff here but now someone advised me in another thread to buy a Lite-On iHAS422 burner. I noticed it has a SATA connection. My only experience with SATA is that I couldn't get my SATA hard drive installed so I had to return it to the shop where they didn't manage to set it up either. Is a SATA burner easier to install or do you need to be a BIOS and device manager wizzkid? I assume SATA has much better performance than IDE as far as I've read?
Would this setup be ok:
- HDD1 as Master on red PRI_EIDE Ultra ATA 133/100/66 controller
- HDD2 as Master on red SEC_EIDE Ultra ATA 133/100/66 controller
- old IDE Plextor burner on PRI_IDE Ultra DMA 100/66 controller as master
- new SATA burner on SATA controller
Note that I put the 2 HDD on 2 separate controllers since I read on this site that this will enable multitasking which gives better perfo.
Old 26-02-2009   #13
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
I know I asked about IDE and stuff here but now someone advised me in another thread to buy a Lite-On iHAS422 burner. I noticed it has a SATA connection. My only experience with SATA is that I couldn't get my SATA hard drive installed so I had to return it to the shop where they didn't manage to set it up either. Is a SATA burner easier to install or do you need to be a BIOS and device manager wizzkid?
The situation is worse with Sata DVD burners. There are lots of Sata controller related issues with Sata drives. If even installing a Sata HDD failed, then stick with P-Ata.
Quote:
I assume SATA has much better performance than IDE as far as I've read?
Performance is the same.

Michael
Old 27-02-2009   #14
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
If even installing a Sata HDD failed, then stick with P-Ata
In that case I'll have to look out for another burner(IDE). Do you know any recent burner that is very popular? I did a search here but I wouldn't have a clue what brand/type to choose.
Old 27-02-2009   #15
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
In that case I'll have to look out for another burner(IDE). Do you know any recent burner that is very popular?
I'd personally vote for Pioneer 115 series (hard to get now) or Optiarc 720x series. Both are good allround drives for general use. 20x Samsung burners aren't bad either, but they are out of production (like Pioneer 115).

Michael
Old 01-03-2009   #16
MyCE Rookie

Quote:
...Pioneer 115 series (hard to get now) or Optiarc 720x series...
Thanks, I'll have a look