Old 08-03-2009   #1
MyCE Rookie

hitachi hard drive

looking for a utility to format my hard drive(hitachi HDT725040VLA360.ATA) any help please.
regards
fred54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #2
Administrator and Reviewer

Re: hitachi hard drive

Windows have a built in utility to do the format, what OS are you using?
Old 08-03-2009   #3
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

Hitachi has its own utilities for carrying out diagnostics and low level formatting of its hard disks.

You can download a CD image ISO from their website here. Once you burn it to CD, disconnect all hard disks but the Hitachi hard disk and then boot your PC from this CD. Once you reach the utility's main screen, go into the Utilities menu and select "Erase Disk". Once you confirm, it will carry out a low level format of the hard disk.

On the other hand, if you're looking to partition and format the disk in Windows to put data on it, carry out the following:
  1. Go into the Start menu, right-click on "My Computer" and click "Manage"
  2. Go into "Disk Management" on the left. If a wizard comes up asking to initialise a disk, just click next and then 'Finish', leaving the default options ticked.
  3. On the disk listing, right-click on the empty space and select "Create partition". Follow the steps to how you want to set it up, e.g. NTFS or FAT32, etc.
  4. On one step, it will ask whether you want to perform a quick or full format. A quick format takes just a few seconds, which is generally fine if you're sure your hard disk is in good condition. A full format will scan the entire space on the hard disk to verify there are no bad sectors present, but this can take an hour or two.
Seán is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #4
Administrator and Reviewer

@Seán

Why low level format? the typical format should do the job.
Old 08-03-2009   #5

Usually when I see someone asking for a utility to format a specific hard disk model, they are usually looking for a low level format tool, so I mentioned about Hitachi's utility that would suit his Hitachi HDD.

I also gave a few steps above to quick partitioning and formatting the hard disk in Windows. In a previous post, the user mentioned its PC is using Vista, so I made the assumption the PC is running Windows here.
Old 08-03-2009   #6
MyCE Rookie

its just i had windows xp installed and when i installed a full install of vista it back up my old windows on the hard drive and when i had the option to intall vista i could not delete old windows xp so at moment i have both on my hard drive not sure if that is good or not lol.
o yes what is a low level format.
Old 08-03-2009   #7

It looks like your Windows Vista installation carried out an upgrade rather than clean installation. As I haven't carried out an XP to Vista upgrade before, I'm not fully sure if there is a way to remove the old Windows XP backup data. Try going into the control panel, into "Programs" and see if there's a listing in there to remove the Windows XP backup data.

When you ran the Vista setup, did you boot the Vista CD or run it from within Windows XP at the time? If you ran it from within Windows XP, it will only carry out an upgrade rather than a clean install.

A low level format is a way of wiping a hard disk completely blank, i.e. to bring it in a like-new blank state.
Old 08-03-2009   #8
MyCE Rookie

i booted vista from cd odd i now i will use hitachi utility to format next time thanx for info.
Old 08-03-2009   #9
MyCE Member

Strictly speaking, a low level format only needed to be done (by the owner, as opposed to the factory) under certain circumstances on old hard discs that used stepper motors to guide the arm that had the read/write head(s), this technology has long since been replaced with voice coils. Thus, calling erasing a disc "low level format" is incorrect, even though a low level format also has that effect.
Aramchek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009   #10
MyCE Rookie

when to hitachi site download software (as advised)dont work with vista 64x
hitachia HDT725040VLA360.
HELP
thanx ged
Old 11-03-2009   #11

The Hitachi software CD Image needs to be written to CD and then booted. The software cannot be run from within Windows.

On the Hitachi utilities download page, download the following file:

You will need a disc burning tool capable of writing the ISO file as a disc image. You can do this in Imgburn (download link). In Imgburn, go click "Write image file to disc", select the Hitachi ISO file, insert a blank CD-R and click the Burn icon.

Once the CD is written, reboot the PC with the CD loaded to boot the disc.
Old 12-03-2009   #12
MyCE Rookie

all sorted sean thanx for info.