Old 07-06-2009   #1
New on Forum

Hard drive wont start up.

OK let me clarify this is a 1TB WD HD however after some complications with it's original casing I was forced to buy another one the other one was a rocketfish enclosure casing, complete with a card reader and 2 extra USB ports.

It starts up as usual, but since the new enclosure has a card reader and 2 usb ports, it picks up the card reader even a device in the usb port is being read, but what happens after the hard drive in there makes that sound that says it's being picked up by the computer it (only the HD inside) stops spinning.

It received some shock from a 2ft fall on it's belly. I plugged it in immediately afterwards and it made a mechanical whirring noise at first but read as usual

But afterwards I think I afterwards unplugged it by accident, I plugged it back in and that's when the thing started doing what I described above.
Animepsyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009   #2
New on Forum

Re: Hard drive wont start up.

Bump
Old 13-06-2009   #3
MyCE Resident

I would get new one and try to get your info. You don't want this drive after a fall like that, just not worth it. You can get a Hitachi for 79 dollars at Frys electronics. Good Luck.
Dell 17R, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Intel i5 Core (460M), Western Digtial 750GB (Scorpio Black) H.D., 8GB RAM (PC10700), 900p LED HD Display (1600x900) display, 1GB Nvidia Card, Hitachi GBW-10N 6x BD/CD/DVD-RW, SRS Premium Sound System!

PC#2: Dell Inspiron 1525 Notebook, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Intel Core 2 Duo T5450, 4GB (PC5300) RAM, 256MB ATI Video Card, 640GB Western Digital HD, PBDS DVD-+RW.

Other Equipment:
1 Pioneer DVR-112D External Drive, 4 External Pioneer DVR-116D Drives, 1 CopyStar Duplicator With ASUS DVDE616A3 DVDRomDrive and 2 Pioneer DVR-116D mounted in it, Mapower enclosure with 2 1TB Western Digital H.D., Mapower enclosure with 2 750GB Seagate HD's, 1 Lacie 2TB 2Big Quadra unit, 8TB MediaSonic ProBox, 2 2TB Western Digital Element drives for backup, and Logitech Pro speaker system!
THE C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009   #4
MyCE Resident

Two things, try a different enclosure, preferably one with no extra gadgets, just a plain enclosure.

If you can get the drive working with a plain enclosure, or if you are real adventurous, by plugging it inside your PC, then go to Western Digital's website and download the DLG utility and run diagnostics.
brokenbuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009   #5
New on Forum

it will still acknowledge the drive's connection even if it doesn't spin up? (I'll connect it to the pc directly.)
Old 23-06-2009   #6
New on Forum

Helloooooooooo...?
Old 23-06-2009   #7
MyCE Resident

If the drive has had a hard knock and then will not work correctly the obvious answer is that it is broken.
It may be that the drive was corrupted when it was disconnected.
Have you tried a recovery program?
Since the previous advice have you tried the suggestions? Please post the results.
Old 27-06-2009   #8
New on Forum

Same result in and outside. Funny thing is it doesn't stop spinning UNTIL it is read by a computer leaving me t believe that when more power is applied (from reading and writing) it conks out. Either that or it's technical and it malfunctions when it receives data from the computer and shouts down. Maybe the thing that manages the energy saver is starting up right away instead of a few minutes after.
Old 27-06-2009   #9
New on Forum

Does anyone have the link to the precise utility mentioned?
Old 28-06-2009   #10
MyCE Resident

The Western Digital utility?

Data Lifeguard Tools
brokenbuga is offline   Reply With Quote