Old 31-01-2008   #1
New on Forum

Hard drive wont spin up

I have a Seagate 500 gig hard drive mounted in an external enclosure. A few months back I had to reformat my C drive and reinstall windows. I used the seagate as a back up before formatting. I moved most of my pics and music back but left everything else when the drive died on me.
After checking all the cables I pulled the drive out and mounted it in the pc slave driven off the master, still doest spin up. Windows wont detect it, nor will bios.
All I get is a low pitched buzzing noise followed by a higher pitched beeping noise for about 30 sec. till it stops all together. I tried all the tricks I know of to get it spinning again but none have worked.
First did the freezer thing, didnt help.
Someone told me to try gripping the drive like a frisby and twisting it in a throwing type motion hard enough to free the head from the platter to get it spinning. This didnt help either.
I pulled off the pcb board and noticed a very small burn/scorch mark on one of the contacts So I picked up a new drive same model# and firmware as the old one. Swaped out the Pcb's and still no luck.
So just for giggles I dicided to put the "burnt" pcb board into the new drive and remounted it in the external encloser and it spun right up, windows detected it, and I was able to partition and format it. So the board was fine to begin with. This leaves me with 2 possibilities that I know of:
1. the motors bad and im screwed,
2. the head stuck to the platter
So my question is where do i go from here? I dont want to lose the data still on it. Its a bunch of movies, programs i dont have back ups for, and last years taxes. Nothing worth the cost of having it recovered professionaly. All of it can be replaced but not without a lot of headache. And im shying away from actually opening up the drive, as its only 6 months old and still under warrenty. I dont want to let seagate off that easy, they owe me a new drive. Its the principle of the thing.
Anyway, am I missing anything? Does anyone know of anything I havent tried yet?
Sorry if this was long winded but I didnt want to leave anything out.
Finster4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Hard drive wont spin up

Maybe you need to replace the power connector on the hdd.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008   #3
MyCE Resident

Welcome to the forum...Replace the drive under your warranty is your best bet.
Dell 17R, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Intel i5 Core (460M), Western Digtial 750GB (Scorpio Black) H.D., 8GB RAM (PC10700), 900p LED HD Display (1600x900) display, 1GB Nvidia Card, Hitachi GBW-10N 6x BD/CD/DVD-RW, SRS Premium Sound System!

PC#2: Dell Inspiron 1525 Notebook, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Intel Core 2 Duo T5450, 4GB (PC5300) RAM, 256MB ATI Video Card, 640GB Western Digital HD, PBDS DVD-+RW.

Other Equipment:
1 Pioneer DVR-112D External Drive, 4 External Pioneer DVR-116D Drives, 1 CopyStar Duplicator With ASUS DVDE616A3 DVDRomDrive and 2 Pioneer DVR-116D mounted in it, Mapower enclosure with 2 1TB Western Digital H.D., Mapower enclosure with 2 750GB Seagate HD's, 1 Lacie 2TB 2Big Quadra unit, 8TB MediaSonic ProBox, 2 2TB Western Digital Element drives for backup, and Logitech Pro speaker system!
THE C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008   #4
New on Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chef_ View Post
Maybe you need to replace the power connector on the hdd.

The power connector on this drive is right on the pcb board, so it was replaced when I swaped the boards out from the new drive.

I'll probably play with it for a few more days, if I cant get it to spin up long enough to get my data back I guess I'll just cut my loses and send it in.

Thanks for the responses.
Finster4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008   #5
MyCE Resident

OK, then RMA time.

If you expect help then please use the powerful SEARCH. Try ThreatFire
I am looking for DVD-R for Authoring & HD DVD media. Please PM me if you can help me.

Vamos Tribbles! V-a-m-o-s!!
_chef_ is offline   Reply With Quote