Old 27-08-2011   #1

Formatting Hybrid?

Hi All. Just got myself a 500gig Momentus XT Hard drive. I see most info is positive and hope it was the right choice given cost and storage space. Anyway, what I can't see is, any information regarding formatting this type of drive. I've read there are problems formatting SSD drives, but I'm not sure with these Hybrids. Do I just format as usual?'
Current system is XP64bit, and will use this initially to format this drive if necessary, but I plan to install Win 7 Ultimate on the XT.
I read comments regarding this drive going into standby mode, in Feb this year. Any update on this problem. This drive has Firmware SO24.
Hope you guys can help before I do something stupid!!
Cheers Gray
GrayUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Formatting Hybrid?

Not aware of any special issues for formatting, it's a hard drive with a large data cache.

Looking up various info, it seems that SD25 firmware can be worse than SD24, and while SD26 is shipping on new drives, it's not an official update yet.

Since the hybrid cache will be optimum if aligned at 4k boundaries, it may be better to treat the drive as if it were an "advanced format" 4k secitor drive - Windows 7 generates 4k aligned partitioning, Windows XP does not!
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011   #3

Thanks for the reply. However, that last paragraph seriously lost me there! If it is necessary to format the new drive, as they normally are, I must do it with my XP Pro, which is already on the machine, to be able to load Win 7. If you get my drift. If only Win 7 will do this "Aligning" do I do this after the install, cause I can't do it before??
Cheers Gray
Old 29-08-2011   #4

O.M.G!! I've just been to the Seagate XT Forums. I wish I had gone there first!! I don't think I would have bought the Xt drive if I had. There seems to be an awful lot of problems with this drive, and previous versions, which have not been resolved! The Firmware updates don't seem to solve any of the major hangups with this drive. There are lot of unhappy people there! Having read several of the threads, I put my fears to them about there inactive involvement, or lack of positive solutions to the troubles listed there, and all the guy could ask me was, "What exactly was my problem with the XT drive?" I had to point out to them "again" that, "I haven't got a problem, because I haven't used it yet! In fact I was very unsure that I should use it for running my OS on because of all the negative comments on their site. I get the feeling there might be a language problem there. Something is seriously getting lost in translation there, if you know what I mean?
Old 30-08-2011   #5
Senior Moderator

If you do decide to keep the XT (or decide to go SSD soon): if there is a part in the Windows 7 installation process where you can repartition the drive (which there should be), you should get the proper alignment and all.

And yes, there are a lot of question marks surrounding the XT. Some people get it and it runs well; others have a difficult experience with it. The same can be said of many other drives, though I'm not sure issues are as prevalent elsewhere as with the XT. Seagate in general seems to have a question mark surrounding its name for laptop drives at the moment (in my opinion).
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011   #6

Thanks for the info my friend. Much obliged.
Old 01-09-2011   #7
MyCE Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayUK View Post
O.M.G!! I've just been to the Seagate XT Forums. I wish I had gone there first!! I don't think I would have bought the Xt drive if I had. There seems to be an awful lot of problems with this drive, and previous versions, which have not been resolved! The Firmware updates don't seem to solve any of the major hangups with this drive. There are lot of unhappy people there! Having read several of the threads, I put my fears to them about there inactive involvement, or lack of positive solutions to the troubles listed there, and all the guy could ask me was, "What exactly was my problem with the XT drive?" I had to point out to them "again" that, "I haven't got a problem, because I haven't used it yet! In fact I was very unsure that I should use it for running my OS on because of all the negative comments on their site. I get the feeling there might be a language problem there. Something is seriously getting lost in translation there, if you know what I mean?
I read all about the "issues" with the XT drives several moonths ago when I was looking to upgrade my
laptop to a 500gb HDD, because of what I read I eventually settled on a WD500BEKT drive

Later on I got another 500gb WD drive, the second drive was a WD500BPKT with the 4k sectors
As I'm running Windows7 this was not an issue, but the newer "Intel Matrix Storage Driver" was...
and that was incompatible with the driver for my Intel
Flash cache memory that was factory installed in my notebook.

On my notebook this really didn't bother me, because the BPKT drive without the flash cache
was actually the same speed as te BEKT with it.

I gave the Flash Cache Card to a friend who owns an indentical notebook,
but not an AFT WD drive
AllanDeGroot is offline   Reply With Quote