Old 13-07-2007   #1
MyCE Junior Member

Convert a laptop harddrive to external

I have an hp dv6000 and i have been locked out of it but i want to get files off of it before i reformat and install a new os... i was just wondering if anybody knew of an external enclosure that would work for my laptop harddrive... and im looking for something a little cheaper because i dont have much money to spend on this... thanks in advance for any help
oldhome7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007   #2
MyCE Resident

Re: Convert a laptop harddrive to external

You could just get a 2.5 IDE convertor cable & then attach it to a normal PC's IDE channel. That's what I just did.
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007   #3
Senior Moderator

Hi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhome7
I have an hp dv6000 and i have been locked out of it but i want to get files off of it before i reformat and install a new os... i was just wondering if anybody knew of an external enclosure that would work for my laptop harddrive...
you can get any external enclosure for 2,5" HDD drives, but you should also get a power supply unit for that as many of these external 2,5" draw more power than the USB port can handle.
Quote:
and im looking for something a little cheaper because i dont have much money to spend on this... thanks in advance for any help
Maybe that adaptor solution is a good idea, as it is the cheapest way.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007   #4
MyCE Junior Member

thanks for the help but could u suggest something specific because i am having troubles trying to find something that will work for my harddrive, i think its an sata harddrive
oldhome7 is offline   Reply With Quote