Old 27-11-2008   #1
New on Forum

Access hard drive's firmware

Hi everyone, I need to access my hard drive's firmware to change its setting from salve to master. Its a Sandisk 1.8" UATA 5000 and I purchased to replace my old conventional hard drive. After installation it creates a conflict in bios (which isn't really BIOS fault) and the computer will not see my CD/DVD drive. After day of research I am 99% sure that the drive has come preconfigured from the factory as slave and since my CD/DVD is slave, thus the conflict. If I can change its mode to master I 'm sure that I will solve the problem.

Can Anyone help?

Thank you in advance!
JohnRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008   #2
Senior Moderator

Re: Access hard drive's firmware

Hi and Welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRam View Post
Hi everyone, I need to access my hard drive's firmware to change its setting from salve to master.
Near to impossible.
Quote:
Its a Sandisk 1.8" UATA 5000 and I purchased to replace my old conventional hard drive. After installation it creates a conflict in bios (which isn't really BIOS fault) and the computer will not see my CD/DVD drive. After day of research I am 99% sure that the drive has come preconfigured from the factory as slave and since my CD/DVD is slave, thus the conflict.
According to the Data Sheet, this unit comes preconfigured as Master:
Quote:
The drive has been preconfigured at the factory to behave as a
“Master”. It does not support “Master/Slave” configuration
Quote:
If I can change its mode to master I 'm sure that I will solve the problem.
I'd try to disconnect or remove the optical drive for troubleshooting at first. If your assumption about being Slave (factory set) can be confirmed, then I'd consider the unit as defective and contact Sandisk support (or the vendor). Please note, these units are End Of Life now.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008   #3
New on Forum

I 've found online some ways to change a drive's master/slave setting (e.g. solder a resistance to a certain pin etc.) but I also found a couple of days ago some software programs claiming that they can change the setting, it's just I can't find them now (some guys have been doing it for CD/DVD drives) so there must be a way. Sandisk says that the drive comes preset as master but what it doesn't say is that those drives were specifically designed for DELL laptops that either have two hard drives (1 as master 1 as slave) or DELL laptops that only support one drive. That is why my Sandisk is set as slave, it was intended as a second drive in a DELL system. I don't have any solid evidence to prove that (I would have to find a program that actually reads and reports the drive's setting) but, trust me...I have spent days researching the conflict and there is no other explanation. Besides, when I connect my old hard drive, BIOS detects successfully the HD and the CD/DVD drive (they are both connected with the same ID Bus) when I put on the Sandisk, BIOS sees only the HD and does not recognize the CD/DVD drive. There is definitely something happening there with the master/slave modes... There must be a way

P.S. By the way, Sandisk refused support as they don't sell to end users...I got it from EBAY...but the drive works fine, consumes less power and is much faster!!!
Old 27-11-2008   #4
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRam View Post
I 've found online some ways to change a drive's master/slave setting (e.g. solder a resistance to a certain pin etc.) but I also found a couple of days ago some software programs claiming that they can change the setting, it's just I can't find them now (some guys have been doing it for CD/DVD drives)
This is true for some optical drives that just have different firmwares for "master/slave" configuration. To be correct, the two flavours of Cable Select can be set that way on some optical drives.
Quote:
Sandisk says that the drive comes preset as master but what it doesn't say is that those drives were specifically designed for DELL laptops that either have two hard drives (1 as master 1 as slave) or DELL laptops that only support one drive. That is why my Sandisk is set as slave, it was intended as a second drive in a DELL system.
So this is a special OEM version for Dell. Find out, in which laptops these units were used. Maybe there is some conversion tool available on Dell support website.
If not, you are lost since the only other option would be Sandisk who (like most other hardware manufacturers) refuse to support OEM hardware.
Quote:
when I put on the Sandisk, BIOS sees only the HD and does not recognize the CD/DVD drive.
Check with Nero Info Tool 4.03 (newer versions do no longer support display of master/slave configuration)
Quote:
There must be a way
Possibly, but this way is not open to end users.

Michael

Last edited by mciahel; 27-11-2008 at 10:59.
Old 27-11-2008   #5
Senior Moderator

You other posts in the Liteon burner forum have been deleted.
Multiple posting of the same is not in accordance to the forum rules.

Please respect CDfreaks.com by respecting our rules.
Old 02-12-2008   #6
New on Forum

At some point last night I came to think that could it be possible for the configuration in my laptop to be set as "cable select"? Should that be the case everything would make sense because presumably both my original hard drive and the CD/DVD drive were preset as cable select! So, while having installed on the system the original hard drive and the CD/DVD drive due to cable select settings the HD takes number "0" and the CD/DVD takes number "1". So, the conflict starts after installing the Sandisk drive which according to Sandisk's data sheet is preset as master. Should you try to connect a master drive with a second "Cable select" device (CD/DVD in this case), always of course under the same IDE Bus, then the connection fails and the drives won't operate properly, detection problems, etc. , right???

Having that in mind I almost came to the conclusion that my original HD is preset from the factory as "Cable select" and the CD/DVD too...do you want to know why I said almost??? hehe, I sent an e-mail last night to Toshiba Germany to ask them if my drive "MK101GAH" is preset as cable select...Isaid to my self...if they say YES the drive is preset as cable select, then finally I got it!!!Well, guess what...They said the drive comes preset from the factory as...MASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is their reply:

"thank you for contacting the Toshiba Europe Storage Device Division.

The MK1011GAH comes preset to Master. This can be changed, of course, with firmware.

I hope this information is helpful."

Now I'm so lost after this...these guys are telling me that the Toshiba drive comes preset as "Master" , Sandisk on the other hand says that their drive also comes preset as "Master"!!! Well in that case what the h#$% is happening?????????

Does anyone out there know if a program exists to check the two drives' configuration??? So we can tell for sure if the drives are master/slave or cable select? Something tells me that although both companies say their drives come as master, one of the two has altered via firmware the behavior of the drive and has turned it to cable select...To prove that with solid evidence though I have yet to accomplish...
Old 03-12-2008   #7
Senior Moderator

Hi,

if you have two drives on one cable,
either
one is Master and the other is Slave
or
both are Cable Select.
Any other combination will cause trouble.

To find out how the drive is configured, you need to install it into a system this unit is not disturbing. A desktop computer wouldn't be a bad idea (you need an inexpensive adapter to connect the SSD to the IDE controller).
Even device manager should show if the drive is master or slave (cable select can't be detected that way - at least not directly)

If you can mange to install an operating system outside your notebook on that SSD, you might disconnect your optical drive, connect the SSD and try if you can boot that OS.

Since this SSD is Dell OEM, it is not impossible this drive comes with CableSelect firmware (so they could just plug the unit without further thinking).

Michael
Old 03-12-2008   #8
New on Forum

Thanks mciahel, what I 've managed so far is to plug a usb CD/DVD drive perform installation of windows and boot. In device manager when the ssd is installed it shows as device "0" which means master, right? But no sign of my optical drive (in device manager). When I install my old hard drive both drives (HD and optical drive) are seen under BIOS and Windows. In windows hard drive is device "0" and optical drive is "1". So lost here...
Old 08-12-2008   #9
New on Forum

Guys this time I found it!!!I found it I 'm telling you...after two weeks or so of research I finally know what the problem is...Oh boy...It's not a master/slave/cable select problem!!! It's the pin assignment on the two drives!!!
After reading dozens of articles I 've come to the conclusion that the Sandisk drive uses different pin assignment that the Toshiba drive. "NOT ALL HARD DRIVES USE THE SAME PIN ASSIGNMENT" I read, I have to say I didn't know that...here is the link to sandisk's data sheet:

http://sandisk.com/Assets/File/pdf/o..._DS_Rev0.4.pdf

scroll down you will see the pin assignment diagram, I yet have to find an official pin diagram for the Toshiba drive!!!But this time I 'm positive, that is what causes the conflict...The solution can be simple or impossible...We need to use an adapter/connector that takes the Sandisk's pins and connects them to the ribbon as the cable would expect as if they were coming from a Toshiba drive. If such adapter exists our problem is solved!!!If it doesn't then there is nothing we can do...unless someone somehow manages to find a way.

P.S. To all who have the same problem out there let's look online if there is such an adapter out there...

Waiting for your comments...
Old 08-12-2008   #10
New on Forum

Found it...In order to change a hard drive from master to slave is to connect pin 40 via a 10K resistor to a 3.3 v source (either pin 38 or 39)...Have to get the resistor :-)