Old 29-03-2010   #1
MyCE Junior Member

4 hours to format a usd harddrive?

i've been helping out at a friend's shop and i've been sitting there for 4 hours just waiting for his brand new hitachi NESO 350gb usd hardrive to format before i can backup his records database to it.

i'm not using any custom formatting software, just the formatting option in vista, using a "full format" option. yes i know quick format would have been fine but its too late for that, and so now i can't cancel it (vista saids it can't).

the hitachi drive is brand new from a local retail, i actually unboxed it when he gave it to me and left, i could just turn the pc off, but i don't want to break it, right now for 4 hours it's ONLY gotten to around 55%, the hardrive is somewhat hot, so i would like to know if the hdd will break from either the heat from another 4 hours until it reaches 100%, or is this actually normal? and that large capacity usd hdds is suppose to take hours for a full format? (again i know quick format option would have finished it in a minute, it was a blunder, there's nothing i can do about it now)

thanks
tomoyoafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010   #2
Senior Administrator & Reviewer

As far as I'm aware of, the main difference between a full and quick format is that a quick format creates a new file system on the partition, where as a full format also carries out a full surface scan for bad sectors. The full format does take quite a long time, although I would have expected a 320GB drive to format in under 4 hours, even from USB. Just in case there are bad sectors on the drive, run chkdsk on the drive after the format completes to see if it reports any.

External hard disks, especially those with out a fan, tend to run quite hot when in continuous use, but this should not be an issue for the duration of the full format. In regular use, it will typically spin down after a certain period of inactivity.
Seán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010   #3
MyCE Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seán View Post
As far as I'm aware of, the main difference between a full and quick format is that a quick format creates a new file system on the partition, where as a full format also carries out a full surface scan for bad sectors. The full format does take quite a long time, although I would have expected a 320GB drive to format in under 4 hours, even from USB. Just in case there are bad sectors on the drive, run chkdsk on the drive after the format completes to see if it reports any.

External hard disks, especially those with out a fan, tend to run quite hot when in continuous use, but this should not be an issue for the duration of the full format. In regular use, it will typically spin down after a certain period of inactivity.
well i clicked on cancel and vista pops up a message saying that it can't cancel it now because its formatting, i can either click "retry" where vista will try canceling it again, or click "cancel" which vista saids will 'stop it anyways', so i clicked on cancel (i actually thought clicking on cancel will resume the formatting process, bravo microsoft) and now its stopped, so do you think there were any damages done to the drive?

thanks a lot!
Old 29-03-2010   #4
Senior Moderator

Re: 4 hours to format a usd harddrive?

Some math:
The HDD's capacity is 320000 MBytes. Assuming a transferrate via USB of 20 MBytes/sec average, the duration of the formatting process including verify is 4 hours, 40 minutes.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010   #5
MyCE Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post
Some math:
The HDD's capacity is 320000 MBytes. Assuming a transferrate via USB of 20 MBytes/sec average, the duration of the formatting process including verify is 4 hours, 40 minutes.

Michael

oh snaps.

but would it be ok for a usb hdd to run continuously on like that?

i just hope i didn't break his drive by aborting the formatting process, even though it was vista who aborted it. (didn't force it with program manager)

thank you so much!!
Old 29-03-2010   #6
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoyoafter View Post
but would it be ok for a usb hdd to run continuously on like that?
a HDD must be able to handle that without damage. If it doesn't, it's junk.

Quote:
i just hope i didn't break his drive by aborting the formatting process, even though it was vista who aborted it. (didn't force it with program manager)
The abortion of the (verify part) should not have affected your drive's hardware at all.
If you like, you can run something like chkdsk on the disk later. It is not a bad idea to thoroughly test a HDD unless the data you want to store there is unimportant.
Quote:
thank you so much!!
You're Welcome

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010   #7
MyCE Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciahel View Post

The abortion of the (verify part) should not have affected your drive's hardware at all.

Michael

well, when i click cancel, vista aborted the formatting process at around 55% though,

so will it be alright?

thanks so much for the help!
Old 08-04-2010   #8
MyCE Resident

Re: 4 hours to format a usd harddrive?

"a HDD must be able to handle that without damage. If it doesn't, it's junk"

Saying this in a discussion about a Hitachi drive is a redundant statement.

Recently I had to format a 320gb PATA Notebook drive to resurect my old Gateway Laptop

I did it off my Desktop via USB (Using the little circuit card adapter from ATA-6 to USB from a dead WD passport drive) the entire format, a FULL format, took 58minutes via USB

I'd say that there is something very wrong with that specific drive.

I'd say more but I've already made it obvious I'm not a Fan of Hitachi HDD's

AD
AllanDeGroot is offline   Reply With Quote