Old 10-08-2006   #1
New on Forum

Uninstalling Lightscribe host driver?

Hi, I purchased a Benq DW1655 Lightscribe DVD burner and it came with an Nero Express CD (v6.6.0.14) with LSS v1.4.44.1.
I was albe to burn nice labels on both CD and DVD.
Then I bought HP CD-R v1.2 media and I got the message that this disc was not is the database or something, BUT i was able to burn it in 'Generic' mode.
Because of this I installed the latest host driver from the lightscribe website (v1.4.109.1).
Now it spits out this same media telling me it is not an lightscribe media! Also the generic mode will not work anymore.
I tried to go back to the driver which was included (v1.4.44.1) but it now constantly gives an "Internal error 2723. updateShellCmdMustBeSet".

I figured if I first completely uninstall this current version (109) I might be able to reinstall the 'old' version. I tried right-clicking the LS_HSI.MSI in the 'common files' and it uninstalled the driver, but it is still visible in the services.

All in all, whatever I tried I cannot reinstall the old driver, anyone got some ideas?
napo_leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006   #2
New on Forum

Re: Uninstalling Lightscribe host driver?

You first need to stop the LightScribe Service: Start, Run, Services.msc. Then delete this folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe and reinstall the old version. The useless uninstall doesn't seem to uninstall anything.

I had the same problem with LightScribe v1.4.109.1. HP obviously never tested their software with Nero 6. Considering how popular Nero is this is unexcusable.
Mastertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006   #3
Senior Moderator

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastertech
You first need to stop the LightScribe Service: Start, Run, Services.msc. Then delete this folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe and reinstall the old version. The useless uninstall doesn't seem to uninstall anything.
Also search registry for lightscribe related entries and delete them.

Michael
mciahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006   #4
New on Forum

One thing thing that you might want to do is different media. Sometimes the drive cannot read the media ID correctly because of manufacturing imperfections. I've had this happen to me a couple of times and usually its when the drive fails to recognize what the disk is (its a bad reader or bad embedded bits on the media itself). If that doesn't work with the LSS 1.4.109.1 go to www.lightscribe.com and contact the online support for a fast response.
CRVLSPE is offline   Reply With Quote